MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
H66 RNY2
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know im probally being really thick here but what is a clear bra? the only bra i know about is the one im wearing...well was wearing.........

·
Registered
119 Posts
to answer the original question, i understand a clear bra to be a plastic cover fitted over the front portion of the vehicle to protect the paint surface from the ill effects of bugs and rocks, etc at highway speeds.

·
H66 RNY2
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rakey said:
plenty of pics of me on the site, a few in my gallery:)
Now you know they're not the sort of pictures im after..............

Rhetorical question here but why would anyone put a clear bar on their car. They look so ugly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Adeline said:
Rhetorical question here but why would anyone put a clear bar on their car. They look so ugly.

to protect the car's finish from stone chips, etc. the clear bra, versus other types, allow you to still see the essence of the car because they are transparent.

·
H66 RNY2
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'd rather have a few scratches on the car to be honest. Theres not much of my car gettin too damaged considering the sort of driving i do. I try to avoid stoney bumpy roads.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Adeline said:
Now you know they're not the sort of pictures im after..............

I really think you should look into what they are before saying that.
From more than a couple feet away you can't even see one on a car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 3M invishield one on my car and you can't see it unless you look for the seam from a foot or two away. Works really well and is invisible. I recommend it.

E

·
Registered
111 Posts
Adeline said:
I definitely wouldn't say they look ugly. I am no fan of the traditional vinyl bras, but clear bras are a huge improvement over that. Though I admit that enough of the shine is dulled to make me seriously reconsider ever getting one. Plus they haven't been around long enough to really know what the long term effects on the paint will be, which would seriously worry me. Then again, I worry about everything (except rock chips, apparently).

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
atmtn said:
... enough of the shine is dulled to make me seriously reconsider ever getting one. Plus they haven't been around long enough to really know what the long term effects on the paint will be, which would seriously worry me.
Clear urethane film has been available for autos the past 15 years. You can remove it without damaging paint. You can apply wax to it just like to paint.

I have a clear bra on my MINI and it's barely visible and has saved the front end from numerous paint chips.

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Quite a good system.

Here are some shots I took of the OziCozi system of clear bra protection.

Scotty

·
Registered
111 Posts
MINIAC said:
Clear urethane film has been available for autos the past 15 years. You can remove it without damaging paint. You can apply wax to it just like to paint.

I have a clear bra on my MINI and it's barely visible and has saved the front end from numerous paint chips.
Is that really how long it's been used in the mass market? Because I definitely haven't been hearing about "clear bras" for anywhere near that long, and as far as my research showed, 3M (the leading prodvider of it in my area) has only been testing it for about 4 years.

Not that I haven't been wrong before. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Vinyl has been used on cars for 15+ years, for graphics, etc. Clear bras, however, are about 4 years old. Some of the first ones had problems, for example blocking UV so the paint underneath did not fade as quickly as exposed paint. These problems have largely been fixed and hopefully by now all clearbra systems are of good quality.

The install is idependant of MINI or the dealer. They get a local shop to come out to your dealer and put it on your car when it arrives. You will find that they are slightly different from each other because of this. For example the pictures posted above show it going over the factory stripes, where mine is cut out to go around the stripes.

I have a few friends who have already had them for a year or so so I knew going in it was both mostly invisible, and well worth its price for the protection. I don't drive on anything other than normal highways, but at highway speeds over time your front end gets hundreds of tiny stone chips. I went out to my last car, after 4 years old I had to touch up at least 100 chips on the front bumper and beginning foot of the hood. This is the area that the clear bra covers, and because of its slightly soft property, the paint gets padded just enough. I don't want to have hundreds of chips in my MINI in a few years.

You don't have to go through your dealer, but I have found prices are pretty much around $500, including headlights and mirrors, no matter where or when you go. Some shops will even come to your house and do it.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
atmtn said:
Is that really how long it's been used in the mass market? Because I definitely haven't been hearing about "clear bras" for anywhere near that long, and as far as my research showed, 3M (the leading prodvider of it in my area) has only been testing it for about 4 years.

Not that I haven't been wrong before. :rolleyes:
Sorry........you're wrong again :rolleyes: ;)

You have to keep in mind that the clear vinyl is the exact same product that has been used to apply company logos to cars and trucks for a long time.
Also the same thing that fast food stores use use to put those big splashes up on their windows.
My brother works part time for a sign shop that has been doing this for at least a decade.
"Clear bra" is a new name but the product is not new.

Teflon was around for decades before someone tossed it on a frying pan ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
atmtn
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing