MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My girlfriend managed to pick up a 2005 R53 Cooper S Chilli pack in great condition, however unfortunately the stereo has no Aux/bluetooth/phone connectivity for music. So we're looking at replacing the head unit.

Is it just straight plug and play? Would love for the steering wheel controls to still work for volume and whatnot...

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I got one of these but the non BT/Phone one.
Car Stereo Bluetooth handsfree A2DP MP3 CD changer adapter-Mini Cooper R50 52 53 | eBay
Plugs into the trunk CD Changer socket on back of standard MINI CD Boost head unit. Very easy to fit. Works fine.
The phone and BT functionality may not be great, not like a 'properly' fully integrated system that you get built into more modern cars like my Volvo C30.

Very small, post to you from UK by air will cost about £15. We posted some tower defenders to Milpol for that money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you remove the head unit to replace it with an aftermarket system it will not be compatible with the existing amp and speakers, i did a total upgrade, head unit, amp and speakers and used the existing wires as i installed everything where the original equipment was (amp in located under the passenger front seat) i am quite happy i did, not only is the sound way better but now i have all the modern bells and whistles i wanted including a back up camera, used a kit to integrate the steering wheel controls and it works as intended, if you'd like more details let me know and ill be happy to share.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
if you remove the head unit to replace it with an aftermarket system it will not be compatible with the existing amp and speakers, i did a total upgrade, head unit, amp and speakers and used the existing wires as i installed everything where the original equipment was (amp in located under the passenger front seat) i am quite happy i did, not only is the sound way better but now i have all the modern bells and whistles i wanted including a back up camera, used a kit to integrate the steering wheel controls and it works as intended, if you'd like more details let me know and ill be happy to share.

Unless it's an H/K system, it won't have an existing amp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts