MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through many posts and have learned a great deal about waxes - there is a great deal of useful information on these threads re: Meguiars, Zaino, Griots, Zymol. These waxes seem to be top-notch and seem to have varying strengths and very few weaknesses.
There is also alot of useful information on drying your Mini after washing... there seems to be fans of a number of products: Chamois, Synthetic Chamois, Water Blade, Micorfibre Drying Towel... etc. used by themselves or in conjunction.

But in all my searches I've been unable to find an a real answer to these questions (its probably me):

1. What is the best cloth/towel/tool for removing wax and /or polish?
2. What is the best cloth/towel/tool to use with Quik Detailer in between waxes/washes?

It has been suggested to me that both 100% cotton terry cloth towels or a fine quality microfibre polishing towel are the best choices. The only other thing I know is to avoid any polyester (even the thread in the towel/cloth) as apparently its very strong and scratches easily. I guess the seam can be cut off?

Was wondering if anyone could recommend something they've used on their Mini (especially if its a dark coloured Mini) as Im finding it difficult to locate one that works well on my Astro Black :blblack: ). Autopia seems to have some great products. Im a fan of Quik Detailer and would really like to find something to use with it.

tradefox

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
a good quality leather is good for in between waxes!! just make sure it is washed out completely after use as dust and grit will grind into into it and will make light surface scratches

cotton stockinette is the best polishing cloth, and is used by auto glym aswell as many other leading car care companies!

·
Registered
716 Posts
i'm another voter for microfibre - for wax removal i'd advise you buy three as they clog up with the residue from the wax - use two to buff up generally then the last one for a final wipe over - i like the meguiars ultimate wipe.

As for terry towels these are good too - but unless your sure it's safe then cut off the seams.

But the reason i use MF's is i find terry towels and stockinettes leave "bits" of thread etc all over the car!

As for quick detailers - megs quick detailer or klearkote quick detailer are good

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
the only reason i use stockinettes is because my next door neighbour makes the stuff, as he has a textile company! it is not the best ever stuff i have to agree as bits do come off, but it does give a very good finish!! always use at least three clothes when buffing polish off as if you use just 1 then it will get clogged up with residue and will just get spread over the car again!! once you have all the polish off with your first 2 clothes, give it a good wipe over again with a new cloth, to give it that extra bit of shine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts