MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
...where´s the any-key?
Joined
·
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please recommend a product that they have found to be the excellent at getting their alloy wheels looking like new.

Thanks:)

LMB:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
TutleWax alloy cleaner, with a brush in the top of the can.

otherwise a bit of spit and polish and some elbow grease!:D :D

kjs
 

·
Test thread infiltrator
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
I've got the white wheels and I find any brake dust comes off easily with a sponge. Just gotta keep it polished, that's all...

Dom
 

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
Wonder Wheels. Has a nifty little brush and pot so there's little wastage as with some spray on products. Use a good quality wax afterwards. I use Autogylm Super Resin Polish followed by Extra Gloss Protection. Result: Super Clean, Super Slippery Alloys.
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
dietcokeplease said:
Wonder Wheels. Has a nifty little brush .......
See, I thought you might say Diet Coke was the perfect wheel cleaner as it is mildly acidic, easily foams, comes pressurized, and with no sugar it won't leave a sticky residue. :D :D :D

(Just kidding - I'm drinking a DC as I type this -- well actually its sitting on the desk next to the keyboard :) )
 

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
........it just has a funny aftertaste(!)
 

·
...where´s the any-key?
Joined
·
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you :)

I do have one question:

dietcokeplease said:
..... Use a good quality wax afterwards. I use Autogylm Super Resin Polish followed by Extra Gloss Protection. Result: Super Clean, Super Slippery Alloys.
Are you mean't to wax alloys? I can't say I have ever done that :)

Cheers

LMB:D
 

·
Test thread infiltrator
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
I think this is relating to the white wheels... waxing helps make them easier to remove the brakedust. Not sure what to do with unpainted though...

Dom
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Dom said:
I think this is relating to the white wheels... waxing helps make them easier to remove the brakedust. Not sure what to do with unpainted though...

Dom
Remember that most "unpainted" wheels aren't. The paint just happens to be a clearcoat finish. Can't say if they should be waxed though...
 

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
LMB,

I know it sounds weird but yes I do wax the wheels on my cars - always have done. When "I were a young lad" I had a Golf - took my wheels for refurbishment and the owner said that the best way to keep your wheels clean and prevent corrosion was to wax them regularly.

The wheels are just like paintwork. They get more extremes of hot/cold and water/grit/brakedust than the bodywork. Waxing helps prevent the brakedust from etching into the surface of the wheels (preventing that horrible "pitting")and more importantly makes cleaning them easier the next time round.
 

·
...where´s the any-key?
Joined
·
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dietcokeplease said:
LMB,

I know it sounds weird but yes I do wax the wheels on my cars - always have done. When "I were a young lad" I had a Golf - took my wheels for refurbishment and the owner said that the best way to keep your wheels clean and prevent corrosion was to wax them regularly.

The wheels are just like paintwork. They get more extremes of hot/cold and water/grit/brakedust than the bodywork. Waxing helps prevent the brakedust from etching into the surface of the wheels (preventing that horrible "pitting")and more importantly makes cleaning them easier the next time round.
Cool,

I like the sound of that:cool:

I will try that, thanks for you advice;)

Wow, you learn something new everyday:)

LMB:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Re: Wax!!!

MINIMARK said:
Is car wax the same stuff that my missus uses on her legs then? Or is it different!


Mark
:D :) :D :p
How about shaking some out of ears? - That's even better, it's free! :D Might be a bit whiffy or greasy though! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Just make sure that you use soapy water, and don't let the brake dust build up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
LMB said:
Could someone please recommend a product that they have found to be the excellent at getting their alloy wheels looking like new.

Thanks:)

LMB:D
WD40.....just DONT spray it directly on the wheel.....not good for brakes. But I have found it does remove brake dust and tar marks generaly. I can't see why you wouldn't use a wax product on the white or silver wheels. White is probably powdercoat and the silver would be clear laquer.

I use WD40 for removing tar and bugs from the paintwork and provided you re-wax the car afterwords seems to work fine. Taxi Drivers use kerosene in water for their paintwork, but I have never been game to try it. Might work for wheels too, and a lot cheaper than proprietary products.

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,722 Posts
Use some water, a good soft brush & some elbow grease :D :D :D
Works a treat:D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Has anyone used Wonder Wheels, it says not to be used on coated alloys, does that mean the MINI 17" i've got?
 

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
Apple,

I use Wonder Wheels on my MINI. The product is approved by loads of wheel manufacturers such as Wolfrace/Alloy Wheels International. The MINI wheels have are sprayed silver/alu and then clear coated with a lacquer. As long as the lacquer is intact then it's ok to use. Just follow the instructions on the box. The most important thing to note is that the contact period of the acid solution is not of paramount importance - just make sure it does not dry out by spraying it lightly with water. Also don't forget to wax afterwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Cleaning alloy wheels

Many wheel cleaning solutions are very corrosive/caustic and can actually damage wheels when used over long periods of time. It is very difficult to know which ones are safe and which ones aren't.

I asked my BMW dealer what they would recommend for my MINI's 16" white wheels. They have their own cleaner which they sell for around £10 a litre which seems to work very well and its also peace of mind that since it is recommended (and presumably validated/approved) by BMW it won't damage those nice white alloys.

Incidentally, even the 'silver' 16" wheels are not actually alloy finish - they are painted silver and lacquered so have exactly the same cleaning properties as the white ones.

Generally I find that they clean up very easily. They don't have awkward profiles to get dirt out of and the surface seems to be 'slippery' and well lacquered so that dirt washes off without much effort.

I would recommend the BMW cleaner itself and I'd be sceptical about any others.

TJL
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top