MINI Cooper Forum banner

what's the best way to remove a stuck rim?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  duboy 
#1 ·
I'm trying to swap out rims on my 325 (going to trade it in for my second MINI on monday), but I can't get it off of the axle, when I had them put on, I requested anti-seize be put on, but I fear it has all worn away. Anyway, besides taking it to a garage (doing it in my driveway is cheaper...if i can do it) what other methods do you suggest to get the darn thing off? I'm using the stock jack and lug wrench.

#3 ·
actually, i got the wheel nuts off just fine, it's getting the whole rim off that i'm having problems with :) i've changed a few flats before and have never had this much of a hard time getting the rim off. any more advice?

#4 ·
duboy said:
actually, i got the wheel nuts off just fine, it's getting the whole rim off that i'm having problems with :) i've changed a few flats before and have never had this much of a hard time getting the rim off. any more advice?
ok, then the rim is stuck on the hub. Whack it with a rubber mallet, on the tire. Hit it hard. Hit it again. It will come off. Teach it who it's daddy is. :D

#5 ·
I'm assuming whack it from the inside out right? Oh, and it's ok to whack it while it's on the stock jack? it sways quite a bit when i was trying to pull the rim off the car before. I guess a quick whack is the only way...

#6 ·
Another trick is to slightly (one or two full turns max) loosen the
lug bolts and drive a couple feet and hit the brakes, forward and backward a few times to break the seal between the hub and the wheel. Use anti-seize on the contact area
yourself so you know it was done.

#7 ·
Whack the tire with a rubber mallet from the inside. I'm not gonna tell you the stock jack is sufficient, cause I don't wanna feel bad when something goes wrong. But, I've done this with my car on the stock jack. Leave the lug bolts on, but loosened, when doing this, that way the wheel won't fall off and scratch something.

#9 ·
If you can, use something sturdier than the stock jack as it'll wobble lots, and preferably spin the wheel round while you're smacking it from the inside with a big rubber mallet, it'll take a few hits (maybe even 10 or so) if it's anything like mine, but sooner or later it'll come off. :)

#10 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone. I was successful at removing the rims today...however, it took me the better part of 2 hours. 2 of the 4 rims were stuck on so good, I had to use a combination of your tips :) I did it all on the stock jack, and it was a bit disconcerting at times, but I had to get it done. Tomorrow my 3 goes byebye, and in 6 weeks I get my MCS :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.