MINI Cooper Forum banner

What's the die-cast brand that makes the best Mini?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  cooper4us 
#1 ·
I'm looking a small die-cast model that I'll probably stick it on the dashboard (if it fits). So I want to find the one that's best made. A bit of research gave me a few big names, Corgi, Maisto, Kyosho, Burago, AutoArt. Since I just saw them online, it's hard to tell whether they are good or not. Any experts here? :)

#4 ·
Not an expert, but a friend of mine got me a 1/43 b&w MINI Cooper from AutoArt. It is by far the nicest and most acurate die cast model I have seen--complete with all the silver interior trim, speedo, rear defrost strips..etc, at 1/43! You won't be dissappointed.

#10 ·
Without a shade of a doubt, AutoArt makes the BEST 1/18 scale MINI Cooper replica. This model is simply exquisite in execution and details.....photo etched engine parts, carpeted interiors, fully detailed undercarriages, fully plumbed and wire engines, metal chassis (Not plastic like the Maisto's or Bburagos).

AutoArt will soon release a 1/18 scale replica of the MINI Cooper 'S'.

The 1/18 AutoArt MINI Cooper retails for about US$70.00.

In the realm of 1/18 models, the Japanese Kyosho MINI Cooper models come at second best. They are also excellent but the AutoArt still beats them in overall precision and execution but both are almost close matches.

The 1/18 Maisto MINI Cooper models areexcellent for the amateur collector. they are cheap and offer very good details and finish for the money. However, these models are not in the same league as the Kyoshos and AutoArt. The Maistos are somewhere in between a toy and collector's model. the Kyosho and AutoArt models are strictly hobby collector pieces. That explains their nearly US$50.00 price difference.

If you prefer high quality 1/43 MINI Cooper models I also exho recommendations made for the AutoArt, MiniChamps (Made in Germany) and IXO models. These manufacturers make replicas of the MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper 'S'. The MiniChamps models are excellent IMO and can be had for about US$30 to US$35 a piece, again not cheap but these pieces are not toys either.

The 1/18 replicas of the MINI Cooper made by Bburago (Italy) and Solido (France) are nice but are pretty crude in details and execution. They are more toys than serious collector pieces. Stick to the Maistos if on a budget better.

Revell of Germany makes a 1/12 Scale replica of the MINI Cooper (CR/W) and retails for about US$99.00. I have never seen it in person, but I have read very mixed reviews about the quality of this piece.

I am a 1/18 and 1/43 scale die-cast car collector and currently have a pretty nice collection of different models. One of my favorite internet die-cast sites are:

www.exoticar.com

Cheers!

#12 ·
I´ve seen the Revell Cooper 1:12.

First of all; it´s huge. But for a model-car of this size, the details are very poor.
Which I can´t understand. It´s more easy to build a high detailed model, the higher the scale is.

I would recommend not to buy an Revell 1:12, until you´ve hold it in your hands. The same with the 1:18 Revell cars.

#14 ·
www.minimania.com is also selling a very nice BRG/W MINI Cooper (Die cast) on scale 1/43 for about $20. The model is made by Corgi of Britain. Corgi's are toys but they have nicely finished models in 1/43 scale.

Also if interested,you can get Mr. Bean's green Classic Mini in 1/43 scale also made by Corgi. Nicely detailed right down tothe funky black color contrasting hood and the exterior pad lock on the driver's side.

A must for any MINI aficionado.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.