MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a newb here and i hope to get to know all of you pretty well. I just got done highly modifying my 03 lancer and have decided to sell it for a 03MCS. I went with a mini because i want something alittle more mature but fun and original at the same time. My question is why would somebody get a 15% pulley over a 19% pulley if their practically the same price? so far ive set up a huge list for my upcoming project mini. I also wanted to get some thoughts on which exhaust to go with. Alta,magnaflow or borla sport? On mini-madness they have up to 5 different ecu stages.. Whats the most popular stage? Why would someone go stage 2 when stage 3 is the same price? As for the header, Im also stuck between the Mini madness header and cat OR the alta header from outmotoring.com.. (just to give you aliitle bit of my taste and style) as For wheels/tires ivedecided to go with 17x7.5 yoko advan rg's with 215-45-17 falken azenis tires. is that an appropriate tire size? As you can tell i'm very excited about this car and I look forward to the responses.
take care guys.
-Tyler :blblack:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome to MINI2 - you'll have a ball.
With regard to why go for 15% over 19%? For me it was practicality, I didn't want to modify anything else (ECU, Exhaust etc) so this was the best bang for my buck. I think this is the same for most people not wanting to go the whole hog when modifying.
Obviously maintaining any sort of warranty is not an issue for yourself - so enjoy your modifying :D
When deciding on a stage 2, stage 3 or a stage 5 - I guess it would come down to how far do you want to go, how much insurance you'll have to pay and the total overall costs?
There are heaps of people here who have gone all the way, and haven't looked back - it's all up to yourself.

Happy motoring.

Dutchy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
AMiniSPilot, welcome to MINI2, but just providing a web site doesn't answer any questions at all. The question was more specific to anyone who has actually done any mods and can provide information as to why you would go for certain modifications. If you have modded your car, it would be great to hear what you have done/ or intend on doing.

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
it all depends on what you want to do with your mini!

2 things i'd higly recommend if you are planning to run huge hp gains is
1)intercooler
2)lsd

pure power wise with cai, exhaust, ecu, and 15% pulley is more than enough go for most people, yet 19% gets you that torque earlier sacrficing the top end... otherwise, for exhaust, magnaflow has been proven to produce good numbers, or if sound is a priority, miltek is an excellent quiet system with results to back it up too!

Sway Bar is a must, tires you seems to have a good choice already but sway bar is an almost must if you are planning to drive it hard in corners (and who doesn't!)... get ONLY the rear bar and you can thank me later!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kyriian what do you mean only the rear bar? the rear strut bar/sway bar or lower tie arms? for the suspension I was going to do Koni sport shocks and struts w/Hsport springs,H&R camber plates, front strut bar and i was very impressed with minimadness's adjustable rear sway bar. Is it safe to run a 15% pulley with a stage 2 ecu? Dutchy, thank you very much for the information, i appreciate it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Cheers,
It sounds like you have things under control and also have done quite a bit of research into this matter.
It'll be great to see the end result.

Dutchy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thanks, I'm still FAR behind all of you miniheads but i'm trying to catch up. Is Miltek my best bet for a header?

·
Registered
324 Posts
MiniMelaz said:
Well thanks, I'm still FAR behind all of you miniheads but i'm trying to catch up. Is Miltek my best bet for a header?
Interested in modding MINI's - yes.
A MINIhead? - no.

To be honest I don't know that much about the mechanics - just what can I buy?
Unfortunately at the moment there's not much of that either :(

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
MiniMelaz said:
Kyriian what do you mean only the rear bar? the rear strut bar/sway bar or lower tie arms? for the suspension I was going to do Koni sport shocks and struts w/Hsport springs,H&R camber plates, front strut bar and i was very impressed with minimadness's adjustable rear sway bar. Is it safe to run a 15% pulley with a stage 2 ecu? Dutchy, thank you very much for the information, i appreciate it.
there's been a long debate as to the necessity to a front sway bar... a rear sway bar would defenitely elimate understeer in most situations.. and even induce oversteer if you lift throttle mod corner

your setup sounds like something i wanted to do when i got the time to do suspension mods... but most likely i intend to keep my shocks and springs pretty stock.. i have no complaints so far....

i think for all intensive purposes... a small diameter sport bar (like h-sport's sport front bar) paired with a competition rear bar would grant the best results tho ive yet to hear anyone with this setup

·
Happy Trudger
2,079 Posts
Well, I've done a ton of mods so I better chime in, FWIW. One thing I'm curious about and may have missed it, is what is your main focus, or foci? ;) Street, rally, auto-x, track, etc.?

I'm mainly track first, though I drive it daily. I went 15%, since it's great for the track at the top end and may be better for durability. On suspension, I'm a huge believer in Ledas. With 20/20 hindsight (had a bad run with another company), I don't think one should cut corners with suspension. Especially if the car has multiple uses. The Ledas are very adjustable. If the tires are the one thing that touches the road, then I want what controls their ride to be top notch. We fret about tires and spend a ton of money on them, but somehow think about cutting corners on suspension. I won't make that mistake again.

I had H & R Comp camber plates and took them off. This is not to say they are not a good product. I'm sure they are. It's just that I'm not smart enough to use them and not rich enough to have a shop constantly doing alignments. I like to change camber at the track and then change it back at the end of the day. The H & R's had 3 nuts creating a very (too much for me) adjustable setup. The Mini-Madness camber plates have 2 nuts in slots. You can just move them back and forth very easily. Go to a shop and draw some lines and you're set.

I didn't notice you mentioning lower rear control arms, but I figure that may have been an oversight since you are doing camber plates up front. Definitely want to be able to throw camber into the back also.

The various tuning stages will be a matter of choice and finances. Usually doesn't make much difference if you start in the middle, since most of them you can add later. Though, you may miss out on some discounts.

One thing not mentioned, and will be availabe as an option after the first of the year, is LSD. If you are using the car to auto-x or track, should consider. Of course, as long as you're doing that :rolleyes: don't forget the lightweight flywheel and upgraded clutch.

Kyriian -- I have the H & R front sway bar and the Mini-Madness rear. I know most people think I'm crazy with a 22% stiffer (on soft setting) bar in the front, but I think the quality (deeper curves and bends) make for better response and turn-ins. Strictly SOP evaluation. I have never put it on the stiff setting. One of these test and tune days, I'll have to try it. If you're doing the front bar, consider the Powerflex suspension bushings. Just did them last week and a big difference in ride and solid response. My stock bushings were getting worn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
MiniMelaz
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing