MINI Cooper Forum banner

What's under the passenger seat?

10K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  mini-rolls 
#1 · (Edited)
saw this when I first took delivery. My MA had no idea why this is underneath the passenger seat or what it is for. All I know is that it doesn't allow rear floor mats from vendors like Cocomats to fit properly. (BTW, the Cocomats are beautiful aside from their oversight regarding proper pattern for the 05 Mini Convertible rear seats. :rolleyes: )

See less See more
#2 ·
Rear floor mats

My rear floor mats from Mini don't fit correctly, but its not because of that part in the middle, its those two rails on the side of it causing issues. I thought it was the Nav system but thats under the driver seat in the convertible. The front cover of that big black box does come off though.

Howard

#3 ·
howardpm said:
My rear floor mats from Mini don't fit correctly, but its not because of that part in the middle, its those two rails on the side of it causing issues. I thought it was the Nav system but thats under the driver seat in the convertible. The front cover of that big black box does come off though.

Howard

yeah.. same here.. the same reason why then dont fit perfictly in the back.

#4 ·
The Cocomats are also affected by the seat rails. On the passenger side, the mat is too deep so it doesn't sit properly on top of the metal plate either -- in general it pretty much doesn't fit.

I't's frustrating to drop a good sum on the mats only to find they don't fit. Hopefully both MINI and the aftermarket mfrs will get this straightened out soon.

#9 ·
IT is the amp for the HK system.

On the us side it is the amp for the HK system, on the other side of the pond it is the nav which is on the other side of the car drivers side and vice versa. Their is no amp in the trunk like on BMW's. You will have to cut your mats to fit!!!

alpinamike

#12 ·
I did not get MINI floor mats. I ordered from Cocomats and the mats are absolutely faulous. I got the black w/ blue dots and they match the dark blue leather interior very well. I'll try and grab some pics tomorrow while I'm out giving my car her new XMas presents:

1. GBMini auto-up circuit board
2. 303 Fabric protectant for the drop top
3. Zaino Bros. polish (may be too cold to to that :( )

#17 ·
2phun said:
I got the MINI rubber floormats front and back, but the ones in back dont fit right. They often get stuck on the rails and keep the seat from moving back fully. Hoping that MINI will get it worked out soon.
You have a case of your dealer installing the hardtop mats in the convertible. The mats for the hardtop are larger than for the convertible due to the convertible's smaller rear footwell.

MINI has released rear mats for the convertibles. They are available separately in the case of rubber mats and in the case of carpet mats, the convertible set of 4 has a different part number than the hardtop set of 4.

The other part of this thread has already been answered but I thought I'd offer confirmation: That doo-dad under the passenger seat is the amplifier for the Harman/Kardon system while the navigation system DVD unit is housed under the driver's seat on the convertibles (contrary to the hardtop where the DVD unit is housed under the passenger seat). My description applies for LHD cars, I suspect those RHD guys have it all reversed. :)

#18 ·
sjbartnik said:
You have a case of your dealer installing the hardtop mats in the convertible. The mats for the hardtop are larger than for the convertible due to the convertible's smaller rear footwell.

MINI has released rear mats for the convertibles. They are available separately in the case of rubber mats and in the case of carpet mats, the convertible set of 4 has a different part number than the hardtop set of 4
Thanks for the info. Popped in the dealer the other day and had them swap out for the new convertible ones. They fit much better, although I doubt they fit more than one foot on them at a time as they are quite puny.

#19 ·
Cocomats properly fitted...

Just thought I'd mention that Cocomats made me a new set of rear mats that fit perfectly. Kudos to them for being so responsive and shipping out the mats very quickly. I highly recommend the mats as they are good looking and will last forever.

#20 ·
sjbartnik said:
The other part of this thread has already been answered but I thought I'd offer confirmation: That doo-dad under the passenger seat is the amplifier for the Harman/Kardon system while the navigation system DVD unit is housed under the driver's seat on the convertibles (contrary to the hardtop where the DVD unit is housed under the passenger seat). My description applies for LHD cars, I suspect those RHD guys have it all reversed. :)
Sorry to bring this back up but I have the H/K system and do not have any units under either seat. Am I missing something? Just would like to know.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.