MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a new cooper last night. love it but noticed two things.

whats up with the new transmission and going in reverse. it grinds like crazy!!!!!!!!! is somthing wrong with my new cooper.

and two. it has the sports package. which means it comes standard with the performance runflats. well its going to snow here in about a month. for all of you owners out there....how are the performance cooper tires in the snow. i don't want to have to buy new tires..

thanks so much...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Shouldn't be any grinding, unless your shifting technique is poor.

The perf runflats are pretty bad in the snow. You really should invest in snow tires (or have ordered the car withi different tires).

- Mark

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Do you like doing 360s in snow? If so, keep the performance tires for winter. Otherwise, unless the streets are well plowed, don't take your MINI. Summer tires get hard as rocks when its cold so they'll have 0 traction on ice and the tread pattern is not empty enough for good snow traction. All seasons would be a minimum but since you have summer tires, get snow tires on separate wheels.

Check the faults & fixes forum for tranny noises. Many with the new Getrag have complained about reverse gear selection.

Harry

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
well thats just great......

if i wait like 2 seconds then go into reverse it goes just fine..... but is a car supposed to do this??? please help. i have 72 hours to take it back no questions asked and order another one. my cooper s never had this reverse problem...is the car faulty. and is this CRUNCHING sound ruining my precious transmission.

also the sales guy told me the regular cooper ONLY comes with the performance tires in the sports package. is that true or is there an option to get all seasons. if so then he misled me and now i have to shell out another $600 for winters. please , please help. i need to act fast if these are lies. thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
For the Cooper in the US market, the sport package only comes w/ performance run flats, so no lie from your dealer on that point. It's kind of sad that (at least in US market) we can't specify which tires to go on the car. When I ordered my MCSC, I wanted 17" bullit wheels, but couldn't specify all season run flats. So, I'll probably also have to shell out some $$ for winter tires.

Out of curiosity, which run flats are on the car?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lots of people are having problems with the new Getrag box in the revised mini. Yes is you wait a couple of seconds it's fine to select reverse, I wouldn't think you should reject it for that. More worrying is that many of us are getting a lot of slack/slap noises when letting the clutch in and out, noticeable mostly in 1-3 gears, and a nasty vibration/rattle from the transmission at around 2000rpm under load. It would be intersting to hear if your's is doing this.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah, it is kind of strange that MCS buyers can choose between all season and performance runflats. For the MC, though, if you get sports package, you end up with performance runflats. It looks like Mini is using the Eagle NCT 5 as the performance tires on 16" MC's.

·
Astro Black &White cooper
23 Posts
Gearbox problems: selecting reverse

I have an '05 cooper with the new transmission, from experience i feel the best way to get it into reverse is to first go through Neutral, lift off the clutch, then fully depress the clutch before selecting reverse, i had to do that in my ford puma1.7 that i had before the mini and it worked everytime. hope that helps! :blblack:

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
indimini said:
... MCS buyers can choose between all season and performance runflats.
In the US, this only occurs on the 17" S-lite wheels ... in all other cases, the type of wheel dictates what type of tire you get:
  • Cooper S:
    • std - 16" V-spoke (All-Season)
    • 369 - 17" S-lite (Performance)
    • 586 - 17" S-lite (All-Season)
  • Cooper S Convertible:
    • std - 16" 7-spoke Fin (Performance)
    • ZAS - 16" V-spoke (All-Season) [no cost option]
    • 2CM - 17" 5-spoke Bullet (Performance)
    • 586 - 17" S-lite (All-Season)
  • Cooper:
    • std - 15" 7-hole (All-Season)
    • 368 - 16" 5-star (Performance)
  • Cooper Convertible:
    • std - 15" 5-spoke Rocket (Performance)
    • Z7H - 15" 7-hole (All-Season) [no cost option]
    • 368 - 16" 5-star (Performance)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I brought my 2002 cooper in for service and got a brand spanking new 05 loaner. Didn't notice any of the reverse problems wiht the getrag.. infact it went in pretty smooth.

THe other gears on the other hand felt like a plastic tonka toy or arcade game. I know the midlands box isn't great but I'll take it over that getrag anyday

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
MINIAC, anyone ever figured out what kind of performance tire comes with the 5 spoke Rocket wheels of the MCC?

·
Mini in Maine
556 Posts
If you'd read your owners manual...

flav said:
well thats just great......

if i wait like 2 seconds then go into reverse it goes just fine..... but is a car supposed to do this??? please help. i have 72 hours to take it back no questions asked and order another one. my cooper s never had this reverse problem...is the car faulty. and is this CRUNCHING sound ruining my precious transmission.

also the sales guy told me the regular cooper ONLY comes with the performance tires in the sports package. is that true or is there an option to get all seasons. if so then he misled me and now i have to shell out another $600 for winters. please , please help. i need to act fast if these are lies. thanks.
you'd find out that you are supposed to pause before shifting into reverse. Personally I see no problem with this as you don't want to be moving forward when you do shift into reverse. Unless of course you think that you're Jim Rockford of the Rockford files. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.