MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have covered just over 1000 miles on my Mini, so my gearbox should be run in by now. However, I am finding that it is still a bit sticky, not as fluid as some other Mini's I have driven. It is especially bad when trying to engage first and when changing up from second to third.

I was just wondering what's everyone else’s gearbox like?

Cheers

LMB:)

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Hi LMB

Sorry to hear you have another problem,you appear to have no luck with your cooper mate.:(

Our gearbox is as sweet as a nut and always has been,infact one of the best we've had.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine was a bit stiff at first but is now much better (2300miles). Biggest problem was 2nd to 3rd which sometimes meant missed shifts when trying to do it quickly (which of course meant near the red line and often resulted in hitting the limiter.

That started to get better around the 1200 mile mark and I've not missed a shift recently (but I've visited the red line on a few occasions ;)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Amberthecat said:
Mine was a bit stiff at first but is now much better (2300miles). Biggest problem was 2nd to 3rd which sometimes meant missed shifts when trying to do it quickly (which of course meant near the red line and often resulted in hitting the limiter.

That started to get better around the 1200 mile mark and I've not missed a shift recently (but I've visited the red line on a few occasions ;)
I can feel some more "KNOB" related jokes coming! :D ;)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R1 said:

I can feel some more "KNOB" related jokes coming! :D ;)
You have seriously got a one track mind :)

What's you gearbox like mate?

Cheers

LMB;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got a January build One, and after 800 miles 2nd to 3rd is still a bit hit/miss - seem to hit the gate between 1st and 3rd as often as I select 3rd cleanly. I'm sure somewhere in the handbook it suggests that it takes 1300 miles for the clutch and/or gearbox to run in, though.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
LMB said:
What's you gearbox like mate?

Cheers

LMB;)
I must admit that I have had no problems with my gearbox. Reverse was a bit hard to get sometimes, but even that has sorted itself out.
You do have to make positive shifts though. No mincing about! ;)
My MINI has done 4,236 miles.

·
Registered
168 Posts
1,800 miles on my MINI now, and very infrequently it is reluctant to get first at traffic lights...pump the clutch and be firm with the knob and it goes, but I prefer a gentle touch on my knob - especially when you're not really going for it. :eek:
(R1 - couldn't let your comment go completley ignored, could I?)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Our first Cooper was quite stiff but loosened out after a few thousand miles.

Our courtesy Cooper (1000 miles) has a tendancy to give a bit of a crunch on an agressive 3rd to 2nd change - nothing alarming though - always goes in gear.

Dave

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers guy:)

It appears 2nd to 3rd seems to be quite a common problem. The thing is that sometimes it can be smooth, especially when changing down gear, but other times it is quite sticky. I will mention it when it goes in to get its other faults fixed.

I have never had a problem finding reverse though, although I did *crunch* the gears for the first time today when trying to reverse quickly:( Hopefully it didn't do too much damage....

LMB;)

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
I think I heard that the MINI gearbox has a double synchro, hence the different tactile feel to an average gearbox........any tecchies able to confirm this?

I think the net effect is that the shift action has to be fairly positive on the drivers behalf, but I actually like the feel, and the need to be precise when belting on......

·
Registered
581 Posts
LMB said:
Cheers guy:)

It appears 2nd to 3rd seems to be quite a common problem. The thing is that sometimes it can be smooth, especially when changing down gear, but other times it is quite sticky. I will mention it when it goes in to get its other faults fixed.

I have never had a problem finding reverse though, although I did *crunch* the gears for the first time today when trying to reverse quickly:( Hopefully it didn't do too much damage....

LMB;)
How did it all pan out, has your gearbox quitened down ?

adios

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wrenny said:
How did it all pan out, has your gearbox quitened down ?

adios
Don't know I rejected the car in March 2002.:rolleyes:

I now drive a Cooper S - 9,000 miles on the clock and the gearbox is slick in every gear:D

I love it.....:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts