MINI Cooper Forum banner

Will Ther Be a MINI Ad During the Super Bowl?

• Yes

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the campaign is primarilty stunts, but the car is coming out soon enough...you think they'll have an ad during the Super Bowl?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Nah! Too expensive!!

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
798 Posts
Doubtful...more a pickup truck demographic. I hope I'm wrong though....

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Six weeks ago in mid-December it leaked out from MINI sources that "something" to do with the MINI was supposed to happen on the Monday Night football game when the Rams played in New Orleans. Many of us were expecting a commercial or one of the MINI's "stunts". Watching the program on TV, nothing MINI was visible - no commercials, no stunts, nothing.

A week later I talked to someone who had attended that game - he said there was a MINI parked in the endzone of the field. Apparently MINIUSA was hoping that the placement of the MINI there alone would get some sort of free mention on the broadcast. But ABC is in the business to make money, and no money, no MINI mention.

With long waiting lists at all the MINI dealers in the US, what would be the point of advertising?

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
Advertisment

I was suprised to see...
The dealership here in West Palm Beach, FL has a billboard off our major highway. It says their name and then it has the VW symbol, the BMW symbol, (and then it says) and the new MINI and it has a picture of a MINI.
But that is the dealership paying for advertisment and not MINI. It is nice to see advertisement of some sort!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I read last week that Cadillac is the "official" car of the Super Bowl this year and will have new commercials during the game..................but I wouldn't put it past 'em to air some MINI commercials............I'm guessing they will get some airtime too!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Since there are only 70 MINI dealers in large metropolitan areas why would BMW waste money to show MINI commercials to potential buyers that probably don't live in these areas?

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
Originally posted by BruceK With long waiting lists at all the MINI dealers in the US, what would be the point of advertising?
Well, I can think of a few reasons;

1) Because, based on many comments on these boards about waiting lists, it seems that the majority of people on waiting lists are waiting for a Cooper S, while the majority of cars which will be going to dealers will be plain Coopers. They need to sell those too.

2) Because the waiting lists are a one-time deal, and once the lists are burned through, they have to continue to sell cars. In this day and age, very few cars truly "sell themselves" for too long, and none that I can think of in this price range.

3) Because I want to see a MINI ad during the Super Bowl!

-Ricardo

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
rwhite said:
Since there are only 70 MINI dealers in large metropolitan areas why would BMW waste money to show MINI commercials to potential buyers that probably don't live in these areas?
For the same reason that MINI put the 70 dealers in those large metropolitan areas; Because that's where the people are! If one were to calculate what percentage of the American population lives within 50 miles of one of those 70 dealerships, the number would be huge.

Example: The Census Bureau breaks the population down into metropolitan areas which include suburbs and neighboring areas, and thus give a greater idea of the size of a population center than just the population of the city itself. If you combine the population for the 20 largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. (New York, LA, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, Philly, Boston, Detroit, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Cleveland, San Diego, St Louis, Denver, and Tampa), you have covered 120 million people (out of 281 million total). What do those 20 largest metropolitan areas all have in common? Aside from the well known Texas exceptions, they all have at least one MINI dealer (if not several). And who is next after the top 20? Pittsburgh (has a dealer), Portland (has a dealer), Cincinnati (has a dealer), Sacramento (has a dealer), KC (has a dealer), Milwaukee (has a dealer), Orlando (has a dealer), Indianapolis (has a dealer)... You get the idea. Aside from their Texas issues, MINI dealerships are located where they are in order to maximize population coverage.

So advertising would clearly NOT be wasted, a huge chunk of those watching would be pretty close to a dealer.

-Ricardo

·
Registered
90 Posts
MGB Boy said:

For the same reason that MINI put the 70 dealers in those large metropolitan areas; Because that's where the people are! If one were to calculate what percentage of the American population lives within 50 miles of one of those 70 dealerships, the number would be huge.

Example: The Census Bureau breaks the population down into metropolitan areas which include suburbs and neighboring areas, and thus give a greater idea of the size of a population center than just the population of the city itself. If you combine the population for the 20 largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. (New York, LA, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, Philly, Boston, Detroit, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Cleveland, San Diego, St Louis, Denver, and Tampa), you have covered 120 million people (out of 281 million total). What do those 20 largest metropolitan areas all have in common? Aside from the well known Texas exceptions, they all have at least one MINI dealer (if not several). And who is next after the top 20? Pittsburgh (has a dealer), Portland (has a dealer), Cincinnati (has a dealer), Sacramento (has a dealer), KC (has a dealer), Milwaukee (has a dealer), Orlando (has a dealer), Indianapolis (has a dealer)... You get the idea. Aside from their Texas issues, MINI dealerships are located where they are in order to maximize population coverage.

So advertising would clearly NOT be wasted, a huge chunk of those watching would be pretty close to a dealer.

-Ricardo
Well I use to work in the marketing department of a major automobile manufacturer and I know that since MINI does not have a large advertising budget, they'll probably do regional advertising which would help them focus on the markets that they'll be selling cars in. An ad on the Superbowl would cost a hugh amount of money and I'm quite sure they wouldn't receive the "bang for the buck" that they would be looking for from a 30 to 60 second television spot(they have the growing MINI "buzz" to maxamize with the media and car magazines to get their message out to areas where there are no MINI dealers).:p

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
rwhite said:

I know that since MINI does not have a large advertising budget, they'll probably do regional advertising which would help them focus on the markets that they'll be selling cars in. An ad on the Superbowl would cost a hugh amount of money and I'm quite sure they wouldn't receive the "bang for the buck" that they would be looking for from a 30 to 60 second television spot(they have the growing MINI "buzz" to maxamize with the media and car magazines to get their message out to areas where there are no MINI dealers).:p
My first question would be "why"? I don't doubt you when you say MINI has a small ad budget, I don't know anything about it so I'll take your word for it. So, why? This isn't a small start-up company, this is BMW, they plaster ads everywhere. They can't afford a national ad campaign for the MINI?

-Ricardo

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, since they only intend on importing 20,000 vehicles to the USA for the first year,
--MINI dealers only have one vehicle in which to sell,
--A few of their dealers may not have their dealerships ready by launch time,
--MINI dealers may actually receive some type of financial help from BMW since building dealerships don't come cheap these days (along with dealers only receiving around less than 300 vehicles each for the first year to pay for those buildings),
--Training the new MINI techs to work on minis along with the hardware and software that goes along with it,
--Allocating money for customer service issues to keep new Mini owners happy here in the states (they don't want the same problems that marred the release of the MINI in Europe),

and so on and so on.....I think that BMW has a more vested interest in launching the car correctly (with all USA MINI dealers up and running, all the bugs worked out of the car) and will increase there advertising budget once they feel the infrastructure of their US based operations are running smoothly...
;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts