MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if you need to have a wheel alignment / tracking done after fitting a new set of wheels and tyres?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
When I got my new wheels and tyres fitted I was recommended to get my tracking checked every 6-8months even if I have the same wheels on. I hadn't had anythng done to my car when I changed the wheels after 10-11 months and the tracking was way off. So much smoother now. I went to a professional tyre fitter and they did a great job. I recommend getting them done!

·
Registered
93 Posts
had two new run flats fitted to the front of my car last week. The dealership said that they dont do tracking as a rule cos it costs over £100. My front tyres wore down on the outside edges and I was told that the wear was abt right for a car which had done 15000 miles. I have a friend in Halfords so thinking of having the tracking checked anyway.

Even if you get the tracking done, one pot hole could put the wheels out of line again, so BMW told me.

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
£100 to get the tracking done - they're ripping you off. I had mine checked & adjusted for £30 - and htey were well out and needed adjusting. Sure they should be checked regulalrly as if you drive the car like it wants to be driven it's gonig to go out of line - but £30 is cheaper than a new set of runflats ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
SoggyCornFlakes said:
£100 to get the tracking done - they're ripping you off. I had mine checked & adjusted for £30 - and htey were well out and needed adjusting. Sure they should be checked regulalrly as if you drive the car like it wants to be driven it's gonig to go out of line - but £30 is cheaper than a new set of runflats ;)
where did u take it to get the tracking checked and adjusting???

·
cristo
2,887 Posts
If you mean by tracking the front toe-in adjustment, you can actually do it yourself
with a tape measure with reasonable accuracy, as can any alignment shop (although
they use slightly more sophisticated equipment).
Mine was off by 1/4" in the front when the car was new, and after I adjusted it,
it has stayed dead-on ever since. The rear toe in is a bit harder to adjust in the MINI,
and the camber is not adjustable at all in stock form for the front nor the rear.
Changing wheels and tires should not affect alignment unless they dropped the car off
the lift or ran it into a curb before or after the process. Lowering the car will necessitate
getting adjustable rear control arms to reduce the excessive negative rear camber that
goes along with lowering it, and then re-setting the rear toe-in. If the front camber if off, something is bent, and suspension parts need to be replaced.
The fancy equipment BMW/MINI uses for checking alignment is state-of-the art, and
very accurate (as well as expensive and time consuming), but it's a bit pointless
with a car that has very limited alignment adjustment options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.