MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am going for the Bullets on my MCS (due to pick it up 1st March 2005) but wondered if anyone new which was heavier, Bullets or S Spokes?

Also, just had two new front tyres fitted to my MC (which has the 17" S Spoke wheels and is on the Dunlop SP9000 tyres) and got both tyres fitted for £235 which I thought was good having done a phone around. What sort of prices are you getting? I stiuck with the Dunlops as wanted a matching set of tyres as selling the car next year but if that wasn't the case would ahve been tempted by the Pirelli's as they were coming out cheaper.

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
StevePSB said:
Same weight. 9.364kg each before tyres, and the tyres are the same on both wheels.
How's that? :)
Get you with the facts! thanks! Am not personally worried about the weight as whilst I am looking forward to getting my MCs and having a few more BHP, I doubt a few extra kg in the wheels is going to effect my pleasure with the car!!! It was someone asking how much the web spokes weighed and saying that the difference between the S Spokes and X Lites was 5kg per whell - is that right?? Sounds like loads!

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that!

In a thread further down called "X-Lites vs S Spokes" someone weighed there wheel and reckon the S Lites are 5kg lighter per wheel - did think this seemed a lot. Figure they must have meant 5kg lighter in total.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andromcs said:
I rechecked the FAQ re wheels that Mini2 has, and this is what it shows for the S-Spokes and Bullets:

R85 S-spoke (aka LeMans, S-lite) ET50 25.1lb (11.4kg) [silver, white]
R91 5-spoke Bullet ET48 20.6lb (9.4kg) [silver, white]

Here is the FAQ:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_wheels_tyres#faq_faq_factory_wheels

Bullets are lighter!
Thanks - I hadn't seen that before! Wonder how come the Dunlop Tyres are so much lighter than the others? May explain why they are about £30 a tyre more expensive at most places I went to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,
It was me who weighed both. I weighed them back to back on the same scale.
One S Spoke and Pirelli run-flat at 22.6 kg.
One X Lite and Goodyear F1 17.6 kg
5kg per wheel. This is the worst place you can have excess weight on a car as it is un-sprung mass plus as the wheel spins the effect is similar to the flywheel in the engine multiplied by 4.
My car has never felt better (apart from cold weather steering knock that's started) :(

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DJG said:
Hi,
It was me who weighed both. I weighed them back to back on the same scale.
One S Spoke and Pirelli run-flat at 22.6 kg.
One X Lite and Goodyear F1 17.6 kg
5kg per wheel. This is the worst place you can have excess weight on a car as it is un-sprung mass plus as the wheel spins the effect is similar to the flywheel in the engine multiplied by 4.
My car has never felt better (apart from cold weather steering knock that's started) :(
thanks for that - I am not really very techie when it comes to things like why heavy wheels make a difference. On your figures compared to the FAQ stats here the S Spoke and tyre was over 1kg heavier and X Lite nearly 1kg lighter - why would that be???

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I liked the S Spokes and my dad thought they looked most similar to classic mini wheels - not really sure what he was talking about! I want the Bullets on my MCS that is arriving next year, purely cos I want something different.

Personally I have never felt that the ride on the 17" wheels is that bad, yes I do get the occaisional tram lining but other than that it really is pretty good so will stick with the 17" wheels on the next one!

·
Registered
25 Posts
wildchild jules said:
thanks for that - I am not really very techie when it comes to things like why heavy wheels make a difference. On your figures compared to the FAQ stats here the S Spoke and tyre was over 1kg heavier and X Lite nearly 1kg lighter - why would that be???
Probably due to tyre weights, run-flats are heavy, the f1 is a relatively light high performance tyre.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts