MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
niggles yet to be sorted !

I have recently had a back light replaced correctly but the plastic front wheel arch which was due to be changed did not initially get done - the dealership replaced the wrong one even though I had pointed out which one needed changing !! So I have now had two plastic wheel arches replaced and they are not exactly fitted correctly. I am not sure whether they are just clipped on but as it stands they are not upto the flush fitting of the original panels. The slight gap between panel and metal will definately cause the arch to bubble rust over time. I have asked the dealership to sort out the replacement wheel arches when I have the 2 front sport seats replaced. I have asked for replacement seats as I am beginning to get frustrated with the trips to the dealership. To be honest I bet every dealership in the country is also cheesed off with owners coming back continuously (its not their fault really as they are receiving poor quality vehicles from Oxford - however each dealer should ensure the problems are resolved). I have not yet had a response from the dealership regarding all this but they have ordered a back passenger interior panel as the original one does not run parallel with the back window !! Thats about it, well for now anyway !

Shoody build ?- caused by inexperienced staff at the production line !

Tomo

·
Registered
577 Posts
The early wheel arches just snapped in place and tended to break off easily if someone leaned on them or attempted to lift the bonnet by pulling up on an arch before the release was pulled. They supposedly "changed the mounting method" to prevent, or at least minimize, the breakage. You are right, they should fit flush. Doesn't anyone take pride in their work anymore?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
tomo said:

......Shoody build ?- caused by inexperienced staff at the production line ! ......

Tomo
Lets just repeat that again, for all those factory workers who stay up too late on Sundays, and want to bog off home early on fridays..... It's your futures guys and gals.

If BMW AG consider these problems to be soley an "Oxford" problem, they will either Fail with MINI, or move manufacturing to Germany, with the loss of thousands and thousands of UK jobs.

I am already considering delaying or cancelling my S, until BMW give their public relations people a kick up the butt.

InsiderMINI has stated elsewhere that the production line is capable of producing 40 cars/hour. Just what percentage of these end up back at the dealers is very hard to ascertain. The polls here on the issue are inconclusive given that there are 10,000 UK registered MINI's to date.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: Re: wheel arches replaced

Basil said:
The polls here on the issue are inconclusive given that there are 10,000 UK registered MINI's to date.
Basil,

I personally think we can read more from the polls done on this site than you think. On some of them as many as 80+ people from all over the country have took part. They may not be conclusive, but it is possible to get a good idea of how wide spread a problem is from them.

LMB:D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: Re: wheel arches replaced

LMB said:

Basil,

I personally think we can read more from the polls done on this site than you think. On some of them as many as 80+ people from all over the country have took part. They may not be conclusive, but it is possible to get a good idea of how wide spread a problem is from them.

If you consider 100 out of 10,000 to be "a good idea", thats up to you. If we could get the number of people who have returned their cars to the dealers and the nature of the problems reported then I would sit up and take notice.

Mind you, I am seriously considering at least delaying my S, based on the members comments on this forum, so i suppose I'm being a little hypocrytical really. As I have said so many times here before; It's BMW's formal response to the problems I want to see.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Basil said:
If you consider 100 out of 10,000 to be "a good idea", thats up to you.
100 from all over the country though...but like you say until BMW say anything official, we are all in the dark.

Basil said:
It's BMW's formal response to the problems I want to see.
Me too:eek:

I am sorry to hear you are still considering cancelling your order. I had the same reservations as you but had a gut feeling all would be well. I will tell you on Jan 21st when I hopefully take delivery of my car if my made the right decision.

My only concern with the S is its cost. If the Dutch spec is anything to go by, if they don't even include SSP+ and sports seats as standard, it is going end up being a very expensive car.

I am planning to keep my cooper for a year, and will decide then whether to purchase the S. I am still 3rd on the waiting list; I have asked my dealer to keep bumping me down the list till the time comes.

Do you have to spec your car now? Can't you keep your place and wait a few months to think about it. Even if you have to leave a deposit, the car is in that much demand that I am sure they will refund you it should you decide against it.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
LMB said:

Me too:eek:

I am sorry to hear you are still considering cancelling your order. I had the same reservations as you but had a gut feeling all would be well. I will tell you on Jan 21st when I hopefully take delivery of my car if my made the right decision.

My only concern with the S is its cost. If the Dutch spec is anything to go by, if they don't even include SSP+ and sports seats as standard, it is going end up being a very expensive car.

I am planning to keep my cooper for a year, and will decide then whether to purchase the S. I am still 3rd on the waiting list; I have asked my dealer to keep bumping me down the list till the time comes.

Do you have to spec your car now? Can't you keep your place and wait a few months to think about it. Even if you have to leave a deposit, the car is in that much demand that I am sure they will refund you it should you decide against it.

Yes, according to my dealer he wants build sheets for all 2002 allocations for the S filled out when he gets the full spec and option costs. This will probably be sometime this month or early Feb. I have paid my $1000AU deposit (which is refundable) and a further $1000AU when Oxford want the build sheets for my car which will probably be in April for a Sept/Oct delivery date. In reality that probably gives me until April. If the main problems are not sorted by then I will cancel and buy a Subaru WRX Sti instead. My current Subaru Forester Turbo has been faultless in 18 months and 38,000 kms. Subaru deserve my repeat business, which is why the MINI's problems need to be resolved quickly and publicly by BMW AG for me to switch camps. However much I love the MINI, I will NOT buy a problem model. I've been there before and it's a pain in the ass. I sympathise with all here who have problems.

BMW need to act, and act NOW !.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Look Out BMW, the Daleks are after you!

Basil said:

Yes, according to my dealer he wants build sheets for all 2002 allocations for the S filled out when he gets the full spec and option costs. This will probably be sometime this month or early Feb. I have paid my $1000AU deposit (which is refundable) and a further $1000AU when Oxford want the build sheets for my car which will probably be in April for a Sept/Oct delivery date. In reality that probably gives me until April. If the main problems are not sorted by then I will cancel and buy a Subaru WRX Sti instead. My current Subaru Forester Turbo has been faultless in 18 months and 38,000 kms. Subaru deserve my repeat business, which is why the MINI's problems need to be resolved quickly and publicly by BMW AG for me to switch camps. However much I love the MINI, I will NOT buy a problem model. I've been there before and it's a pain in the ass. I sympathise with all here who have problems.

BMW need to act, and act NOW !.

Cheers
EX-TER-MINATE! EX-TER-MINATE! EX-TER-MINAAAATE!!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: Re: Look Out BMW, the Daleks are after you!

Basil said:

I'm lost for words.......mr.bill can you help ?
Anyone gotta picture of a Dalek handy? Preferably one veering sharply left

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Look Out BMW, the Daleks are after you!

rich said:

Anyone gotta picture of a Dalek handy? Preferably one veering sharply left
"I told you last time. Dont put your cigarette packets on top of the suspension struts. People are starting to notice"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Look Out BMW, the Daleks are after you!

Basil said:

"I told you last time. Dont put your cigarette packets on top of the suspension struts. People are starting to notice"
Perfect!;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
zoooooom said:
Very good Basil but dont you have work to do?
Like T-Cut the Landy hahahahaha
Very funny!!!.....I have got to fix it though. It pulls really badly to the left.......seriously. It does. ha ha ha....:D

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Basil said:

Very funny!!!.....I have got to fix it though. It pulls really badly to the left.......seriously. It does. ha ha ha....:D
It was a standard feture in Landrovers but nobody ever complained;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts