• I'm a youngster (16-34) going for 17"

Votes: 112 39.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that with our "S"s the wheel choice (16" v 17") might very well be a style thing...a matter of age. Even though the 17" wheel is part of a "sport" package, I can very well make the agrument that the 16" X-lite (15 pounds lighter as a set for wheels alone) is a higher performance wheel. I think the folks going for the 17" wheel may be the younger folks. Let's see!

I'm 48 and going for the 16" X-Lites

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
kshapiro said:
Even though the 17" wheel is part of a "sport" package, I can very well make the agrument that the 16" X-lite (15 pounds lighter as a set for wheels alone) is a higher performance wheel.
Actually, a set of X-lites are 30 pounds lighter than the S-spokes [4 * (25.1 - 17.6)].

IMHO 17" wheels just look too large for the MINI (maybe that has some to do with my age ... 45 and dyslexic) and the thought of riding around on only 3.63" of sidewall scares me. I don't particularly like the looks of the X-lites but will go with them if my dealer won't swap for some 5-stars ... unless someone is willing to contribute to my fund to purchase a set of these:

16" x 7" SSR Competition wheels weigh 12 pounds each. I think their anthracite centers (sans decals) and polished lip would look good on a Dark Silver 'S'.

Now accepting PayPal payments :D

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
MINIAC - nice ~$300ish rims.:eek:

I think a better poll will be who is going for the sport package with the plans to swap out the 17" for someting else. I figure that since I want the DSC, foglights and Xenons, I get the wheels for $110 bucks. These wheels could be swapped at the dealership or sold to another MINI.

As for the 17", I like the style but personally I think they are too heavy and slightly too big.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
If you think I'm going to participate in a poll that has my age group defined as "old fart" you've got another thing coming......... oops what a giveaway.

Anyway, as you may notice elsewhere I have a thread about showing my nuts. My S will either have 16" 5-star wheels with its nuts showing OR 17" S-spokes.

And no I havn't polled........not sticking my mouse in a hole labled "old fart".

Ok, I guess that makes me an old fart.....sheesh. Young wipersnappers today......no respect.....

:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oy! I've never snapped anyone's wiper!

And I'm also amazed that I can be considered a youngster at 30+

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow...so far I'm right (bright old fart that I am)..the majority of Old Frats are picking the 16s and the majority of youngsters are going for the 17s!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
What size will be best for Autocrossing?

I haven't decided yet. I am definetly an "Old Fart" by the definition here, but my main concerns are functional.

First of all wheel weight is only part of the story. No doubt the 17" tires weigh less, so what is the combined weight for both the 16" and 17"? I couldn't find the weight for the tires.

Second will there be a noticable difference in the corning traction between the two sizes? 17" will have slightly more footprint I would assume (due to width of tire, 5%>), but will that translate into anything useful?

I too am a little worried about potholes with the 17"ers.

Any comments that would help me with this choice will be appreciated. Remember, I don't care how the look; just how they perform. Autocrossing requires strong wheels and most courses are relatively smooth. Currently I am running steel wheels as do many other autox'ers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Iam an old fart by definition only. Wait until you reach 50, all of the old farts will be 60 or older. I would guess when I hit 60, they will be 70. on it goes.
I went with the 17" S Spokes as they just look the best, more like the MINILITES of old. Drat, there is that word again.

Mike:D :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Viscount Charles said:
Oy! I've never snapped anyone's wiper!

And I'm also amazed that I can be considered a youngster at 30+
oops..missed out a "p"...... always forgetting my p's and q's........:)

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
I have voted on "Youngster" 16''s only because that is what my spec will say when I order my S. Otherwise I will be getting 17'' aftermarket wheels.
I agree 17's look better.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Another old fart that believes the 17" wheel is simply the best looking wheel currently offered

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
Unfortunately, my "ideal" choice isn't up there.

If it were solely up to me, I would have gone with 16" rims. But to ensure prompt delivery, I had to take the sport package, which necessitated delivery of 17" wheels.

Ah well. They do look better than the sixteens. I just wish I could get the 8-spokes in a 16" size (with a corresponding weight reduction). :(

-CW

·
Addict
1,112 Posts
Well, i'm young, but my dad was the one who configured the car. Actually, come to think of it, we just took the first one that came our way seeing as we would have had to wait a couple of extra months to get ours the exact way we wanted it. We ended up with the 17s though....

·
Registered
311 Posts
On both sides of the age split, the comments seem to make it clear that the primary reason people go for 17s is looks.

Good poll. Thanks

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I like the 17" S-Spokes in the Summer, and the 16" Daytona's in the Winter.

The real sad part is, I found the difference to be subtle and that includes switching from summer tires to winter tires.

Sure the 17" are a little harsh, but they've got a snappier turn-in. The 16" accelerate a tad better, but are mushy in transients. The 17" tramlines over any road imperfections, but the 16" give a less accurate on-centre feel on perfect pavement. The 17" give more initial grab when you dump the clutch, but the 16" builds progressively faster overall. The 17" are exciting, and the 16" are good.

Depends on what you want. An overall peaky-fun ride, or a competent best performance. One feels fast, one is fast. Both are great.

Okay, get both! :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts