MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
rich said:
Compare the wheels on these two pics...

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/Jeppe2/kw4.jpg

http://hobbystage.net/bmwm5/krms/1007491652-000480.html

...Similar, but different wheels

The BRG car has what I presume is an aftermarket wheel. It appears taller & wider than the official cross-spoke R90 wheel pictured second. I am still uncertain if the latter is 16" or 17"

Can anyone confirm the exact sizes please for these two wheel & tyre combos

Cheers
Hi Rich,

I know this has been debated elsewhere, and I used to swear blind the latter was a 16" with wider tyres on it, I think its almost definately 17" now. The flash of the picture gives it the impression there is a bigger gap around the tyre. Compare it to OnlyS4me's pictures on Essen of the S-spoke and the distance between the tyre and wheel arch is the same. I do like the former, especially as the car appears to have been lowered as well.

I'm going to do a bit more investigation over the xmas period on this.

cheers buddy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I was at my dealers last week, he showed me a picture of the same wheels as are on the BRG picture and said they will become available as an option (but not sure when)at the price of £2000. Nice wheels but a little expensive for my taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
The 17" (I think) wheels that are on that pure silver/black works car are actually shown in my official accessories brochure for the Cooper & One, together with the bodykit.

If someone wants me to scan it and e-mail it , send me a message. I cant post it here, as it will probably take me 6 months to get permission from BMW AG. Unless perhaps Paul has an arrangement with them over brochure type material ?.
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Basil said:
The 17" (I think) wheels that are on that pure silver/black works car are actually shown in my official accessories brochure for the Cooper & One, together with the bodykit.

If someone wants me to scan it and e-mail it , send me a message. I cant post it here, as it will probably take me 6 months to get permission from BMW AG. Unless perhaps Paul has an arrangement with them over brochure type material ?.
Basil, I don't pretend to know much about copyright laws, but my understanding (which certainly could be wrong) is you can legally reproduce some copyright material, such as photo, if you have incorporated it, or substantially modified it, and placed it into an original work, such as graphic, that is clearly different and distinct from the source. Such as creating a montage or similar. If this is true, then you could make, say, a Picasso-like face using the different types of MINI wheels as the eyes and avoid any copyright issues. Right? Or maybe something that is less Picasso-like but still different from the source?

Sorry, I’m up too late, time for bed......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
BruceK said:


Basil, I don't pretend to know much about copyright laws, but my understanding (which certainly could be wrong) is you can legally reproduce some copyright material, such as photo, if you have incorporated it, or substantially modified it, and placed it into an original work, such as graphic, that is clearly different and distinct from the source. Such as creating a montage or similar. If this is true, then you could make, say, a Picasso-like face using the different types of MINI wheels as the eyes and avoid any copyright issues. Right? Or maybe something that is less Picasso-like but still different from the source?

Sorry, I’m up too late, time for bed......

Ha, ha, ha, I'll see what I can do..... night night
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Basil said:
The 17" (I think) wheels that are on that pure silver/black works car are actually shown in my official accessories brochure for the Cooper & One, together with the bodykit.

If someone wants me to scan it and e-mail it , send me a message. I cant post it here, as it will probably take me 6 months to get permission from BMW AG. Unless perhaps Paul has an arrangement with them over brochure type material ?.
Right, ere goes.... No 1:
 

Attachments

·
Loves Leecey
Joined
·
4,758 Posts
17!!!!! inch cross-spoke

Why is everone still debating about the cross-spoke wheel is 16 or 17 inch? Read my lips: THIS WHEEL IS A 17 INCH WHEEL, FITTED WITH 205/45/17 (same as S-spoke)!!!!!
I've seen the wheel more than once now in either Frankfurt and Essen. I've held it in my hands, with and without tires.
I've you still don't believe me, look at the following pic where you can see the 17 inch R90 cross-spoke and the 16 inch x-lite (Monza):
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: 17!!!!! inch cross-spoke

OnlyS4me said:
Why is everone still debating about the cross-spoke wheel is 16 or 17 inch? Read my lips: THIS WHEEL IS A 17 INCH WHEEL, FITTED WITH 205/45/17 (same as S-spoke)!!!!!
I've seen the wheel more than once now in either Frankfurt and Essen. I've held it in my hands, with and without tires.
I've you still don't believe me, look at the following pic where you can see the 17 inch R90 cross-spoke and the 16 inch x-lite (Monza):
...OK OnlyS4me, it's a fair cop. I think I am the (only?) one guilty of propagating this debate. Maybe it's just a ruse to get this wheel featured in the forum 'cos I like it so much. Whoops, I shouldn't have said that!

Are they serious about the UKP2000 price tag, though? That's more expensive than half the cars I've owned!

Feel free to post more pictures of this wheel people, ideally on *the* car...

BTW, good to see CAR give the M2 COTY in the Jan '02 edition

I'd better stop now - I think the 2nd bottle of Tarrawarra 'Tin Cows' Chradonnay is starting to talk (...yet *another* reason to move to Australia):cool:

Hmmm... 'M2'? This might catch on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Maybe some modification is required

Had my heart set on 17" s-spokes, but then again maybe i'll go down a few sizes, go wider, and modify the bodywork!. If you think I'm crazy....just give it time. Maybe I'm missing the point.....
 

Attachments

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Re: Maybe some modification is required

Basil said:
Had my heart set on 17" s-spokes, but then again maybe i'll go down a few sizes, go wider, and modify the bodywork!. If you think I'm crazy....just give it time. Maybe I'm missing the point.....

Well Basil, if you're going to make your MINI look like a Mini than those 13" wheels are way too big! On a classic Mini, the only really good looking wheels are the wide 10" ones. :) :) :)

Like this:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: Maybe some modification is required

BruceK said:



Well Basil, if you're going to make your MINI look like a Mini than those 13" wheels are way too big! On a classic Mini, the only really good looking wheels are the wide 10" ones. :) :) :)

Like this:
It looks great doesn't it. How times have changed! The largest I had on my Mini were 12" Wolfrace wheels (fashionable back then....lol), they were good for cruising from Penzance to Plymouth and back each day.......ah those were the days !.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wheel Whimsy

How long before someone tunes one up, putting smaller wheels on front axle, larger on rear axle
...If the suspension was lowered too, and tyres were suitably fat...?

Can't vouch for the good taste factor, but acceleration would be "interesting" off smaller front wheels

Can you get 225 width 10" tyres?:eek:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top