MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure miniac can answer this one for me...

Using the image I have attached, what wheels do I need to go for to get the widest distance between the red line?

I know the 17inch wheels are wider than the 16s but do they just bring the two wheels closer together or do they make the "red line" wider?

What is the distance of the "red line" with the different wheels?

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers
Cooper_S

Attachments

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Tech Man at MINI USA has given me offsets of 48mm and 50mm for both 16" and 17" wheels (see the FAQ on factory wheels for offset information by wheel). Assuming 205/45-17 and 195/55-16 tires, the "red line" would be 6-14mm wider for any 17" wheel versus any 16" wheel.

Reducing the wheel offset would make the "red line" even wider ... like the 17" x 7" ET42 BBS RK wheels MiniMania is running on their race MINI or the 18" x 8" ET35 wheels I've seen offered for the MINI. Bear in mind, however, that the farther out you move the wheels, the more stress you put on wheel bearings and suspension parts.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The other issue you have to make sure you consider is that those other wheels mounted by Mini Mania are able to fit because of the addition of a significant amount of negative camber in the rear, which in turn tucks the top of the wheel under. It's possible that you can't simply run a lesser offset, you may need to do the suspension mods in order to get the negative camber.
Now, most front drive cars usually have some rear wheel neg. camber to further decrease the chance of oversteer. To give you an example, my B5 Passat has 0 camber in front but -2.0 in the rear in stock form, which even lessens the chance of "lift-throttle" oversteer.

Confusing?

The point is, don't just assume you can run a lesser offset. There's a little space there, but not much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts