MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I was wondering whether any of you can recommend a reputable alloy wheel restorer in and around Sydney. No machining required, just a re-spray or powder-coating. Thanks :)

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
For your S spokes or similar?

Just get them done at your panel beaters...

Get them sandblasted, then respray in BMW alloy silver... Im looking at doing this at the moment...

Toalk to your spraypainter about it, he may have suggestions...

OR do you want to get a resto done on very old rims?? then i cant help you:(

Todd

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red&blackS said:
For your S spokes or similar?

Just get them done at your panel beaters...

Get them sandblasted, then respray in BMW alloy silver... Im looking at doing this at the moment...

Toalk to your spraypainter about it, he may have suggestions...

OR do you want to get a resto done on very old rims?? then i cant help you:(

Todd
Cheers Todd. I actually plan to have them sandblasted prior to any painting, but was uncertain of whether they are just painted or needed powder-coating. Have you received any quotes yet for doing your wheels?

·
10,324 Posts
I saw that HRT, when they did their wheels grey, and were going to be asked to paint them white again, they were up for $150 per wheel from memory...

I dot really want to disclose too much info around here about what I am up to, but I was going to see when the powdercoaters had the color I wanted in the machine and try to get a good discount there...

I had a set of bicycle rims powdercoated... I got them done red, and they had a whole lot of fire dept. stuff gettting done at the same time, so the bloke said "leave them with me, and I will see what I can do"... I came back a few days later, and he did them for me for $10 cash a rim....

Todd

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
Just be a little carefull, as powder coating is prone to chipping, and is difficult/impossible to touch up. The MINI rear wheels are very prone to this as it is.

·
10,324 Posts
OK Steve,

I was assuming that the powdercoating was more hard wearing than spraypainting... I will get them sprayed if that is the case...

Have you had your wheels done or know of anyone who has for a price indication?

Todd

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
Red&blackS said:
OK Steve,

I was assuming that the powdercoating was more hard wearing than spraypainting... I will get them sprayed if that is the case...

Have you had your wheels done or know of anyone who has for a price indication?

Todd
Todd,

Sorry can't help. I don't know of anyone who has powder coated wheels. It's good stuff, but it tends to be applied thick which makes it prone to chipping. For parts like wheels that come in contact with tyre machines and the like, it would be a tradgedy if your coating got damaged when fitting tyres. :( It could even affect the tyre sealing :(

Check your yellow pages. There are pages of them. Ring a couple and have a chat. If you were in Brissy you could use my sandblaster and spray equipment :( You'd have the job done in a few hours :) It's only cost a few bucks worth of paint ;) I can supply the BMW paint code for the silver wheels if you need it :)

·
10,324 Posts
I might get the paint code for future reference, but it wasnt exactly what I had in mind;)

Todd

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
I know that the Wheel Factory in Queanbeyan NSW can repair and repaint/powdercoat etc... i would suggest you get them painted rather than Powder coated.. as Swamos said its super prone to chipping. Plus you dont see many wheels from the factory powdercoated.

Ph 6297-7988 They will answer as Quickfit and the wheel factory. They do a bang up job on repairs

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
Although I know one guy who had his wheels Mk2 GTI BBS wheels restored there recently and he took them back for a second go. He is very fussy though, I didn't get a look at the wheels so not sure how bad the issue was.

I have a few chips on my R90 fakeys. :( Haha, I'll just buy another set with the wads of left over cash I have! :p

Eddie, the TT rims I had on my GTI had massives scratches on the kerbside spokes. The rim edge itself was okay, but the spokes were pretty knackered. I bought the wheels thru Milan at TCCA and he coordinated the repair, they looked better than new IMO and total cost was about $75 a wheel, and I'm sure Milan didn't miss an opportunity to take a cut either. Not that I minded, I was very impressed with his customer service. Perhaps give him a call and see who he recommends. Although Todd is right, from what I hear, if it's a pretty simple respray job then any reputable panel beater should be able to do it with their eyes closed.

:)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Steve,

The BMW paint code for the color of the M5 wheels would be interesting if you knew it ?

Cheers,

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Amigo,

If you don't mind the travelling you could goto Morton May in Liverpool - they do a reasonably good job in repairing wheels and shouldn't cost much if it's just to fix up the colour. (02) 9601 7000

·
10,324 Posts
I have a feeling the M5 are polished, then clear coated, which is another option...

Saves you polishing them every 5 minutes and you can just wipe dust away, rather than have it eat in to the raw alloy... dad is doing this on his car soon:)

Todd

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Getting wheels polished is a bit expensive Todd :eek: I know someone that does polishing for a living and he charged me $200 for a manifold, I can't imagine much change from $3-400 for a wheel.

·
10,324 Posts
Nah, not an option for me...

My wheels are going to be way sicker than that;)

Dont worry, I'll keep you all posted.

Todd

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
I got a funny feeling your wheels gonna be sprayed black partially and another part gets polished. Am I on the right track? :) :)

·
10,324 Posts
Um, no.

No polishing at all... this is not really my cup of tea.

:eek: I still have to send you something:eek: I will organise it today, I have been flat out at work...:(

Todd

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Take your time Todd, I've just cleaned whatever I've got now and it's running well. Yours will just make it run better :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts