MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found, and filed, the below picture on one of the Mini forums and it got me thinking.
First, I do like the wheels and wonder what they are, ..... anyone?

Second, it looks like the fronts might be 17" and the rears 18", or 16 and 17. Anyhow, it got me thinking that one, this is a good look, kinda like F1. Second I thought that what you are getting is better throttle response keeping the fronts within 17 or lower and keeping the back end stiffer with lower profiles on the larger rear tires to help make the car more neutral.
So, I like the idea , BUT, then the thought of, "will this screw up my DSC?" Being that the fronts are now rotating faster then the rears, will it be confusing the DSC?

Thanks, :blblack:

Click on the below link to see the full size photo described.

Attachments

· Registered
209 Posts
Throttle response won't be affected at all by tyre size, gearing will be though.

The picture is real spunky but your speculative thoughts on a more neutral rear end may prove unfounded. This is a very well balanced car already, understeer or oversteer can both be provoked progressively on standard rubber whereas with the wider rear tyres it could become snappier and less progressive, hanging on longer and then letting go suddenly.

It might just understeer like a dog on a wet floor too! :p

As for DSC compatibility, it's a good point but I don't know the answer.

· Stealth Like
494 Posts
my 2 cents

Regarding the DSC. I think as long as the overall diamater of front and back wheels and Tires are the same (or very similar) they will both be rotating at the same speed. Therefore should not worry the DSC. Not 100% sure tho

Rub

· Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,253 Posts
Two thoughts:

a) judging soley by that picture, both wheels look to be 17" or 18" I think 18" actually. Its just a weird angle, that may make some of the tire itself blend, and make you think they're different sizes. I might be wrong, but that's what I see.

b) When you 'upsize' your tires, on a MINI and most other cars you don't actually change the overall diameter or circumference of the tire. Instead, you get a bigger wheel, with a smaller sidewall, so the overall size stays the same. Sometimes the tread width increases, but you'd spec a size accordingly to keep the diameter the same. All of the MINI wheel sizes 15-18" have almost the same diameter, close enough to be within the error of the speedometer anyway. This is so called +1, +2 etc, sizing, depending on how many inches you increase the wheel size. With that in mind, I don't see how the DSC would care, except that the wheels would weigh a different amount, as tire + rubber don't weigh the same, which might affect it.

· Registered
8,604 Posts
stryder said:
Two thoughts:

a) judging soley by that picture, both wheels look to be 17" or 18" I think 18" actually. Its just a weird angle, that may make some of the tire itself blend, and make you think they're different sizes. I might be wrong, but that's what I see.

b) When you 'upsize' your tires, on a MINI and most other cars you don't actually change the overall diameter or circumference of the tire. Instead, you get a bigger wheel, with a smaller sidewall, so the overall size stays the same. Sometimes the tread width increases, but you'd spec a size accordingly to keep the diameter the same. All of the MINI wheel sizes 15-18" have almost the same diameter, close enough to be within the error of the speedometer anyway. This is so called +1, +2 etc, sizing, depending on how many inches you increase the wheel size. With that in mind, I don't see how the DSC would care, except that the wheels would weigh a different amount, as tire + rubber don't weigh the same, which might affect it.
b)1 The electric DSC would not care about weight or diameter as it is a reactive system that monitors wheel speed and looks for wheels that are slowing or speeding up too quickly.

b)2 As for differences in diameter, there is a re-set button below the handbrake lever that allows you to "help" the computer learn what is "normal" rotational speed for all the wheels.

· owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
I'm not positive cos i haven't got the magazine to hand but i think it was in the first GOMINI magazine.I think it belongs to MINISPEED and i'm sure they are 18" IMAGE split rims.

· Owner & Motoring Advisor
158 Posts
Those wheels are the same size, its just a weird picture because the front one s are angled.

DSC is a comparative system, so changing wheel size, width, weight etc shouldn't make a difference as long as overall circumference is very close to the same. DSC looks at what each wheel is doing compared to the others, so as long as they're all the same, wheel speed should be uniform (and therefore not affect DSC unless something happens to one wheel - which is when its supposed to kick in).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.