MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm deciding on type of wheel for my Mini Cooper.

Size should be front 17 inch x 7.5 inch, and rear 17 x 8.5

The wheel should be made with magnesium alloy.

Design should be something similar to wheels on a formula 1.

If anyone know of any manufacturer that sells this type of rims, post a message. Thanks.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Why do you want to run 8.5" width wheels on the back :confused: I don't think you can run anything larger than a 225/40-17 tire, perhaps only a 215/40-17. I wouldn't go with any wheels larger than 17" x 7.5".

Click
at the top of the page and do a search (titles only) for f.a.q. to find the FAQ on wheels and tires.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
It's the width of the tire that makes it look wide, unless you want the lips on the rims sticking out beyond the tires ... in which case a curb strick might ignite those magesium wheels you're planning on getting ;)

A 225 tire will be barely large enough for a 8.5" (215.9mm) wide wheel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh, but if i buy a 17 x 8.5 rim for the rear of the Mini Cooper and buy a tire that fits the width of the 8.5, wouldn't it fit the rim?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
onLOoker said:
yeh, but if i buy a 17 x 8.5 rim for the rear of the Mini Cooper and buy a tire that fits the width of the 8.5, wouldn't it fit the rim?
It's not a question of finding a tire that fits the rim ... it's a question of whether the wheel / tire package fits on the car without rubbing on the struts or wheel well. Have you read the FAQ on this subject as I suggested?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh, they have the list of sizes for the cooper, widest I saw was 225. What's the conversion from 225 to inches?

Is that 7.5?

That's weird, why did BMW set the maximum width of rims for the Mini to be so short? Why not up to 10 inches?

When rims looks skinny, it makes the overall car looks weak...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I believe thats due to their new innovative four-link rear suspension setup.

Anyway... why would you want bigger rear-wheels? - The car got front wheel drive!

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
onLOoker said:
Yeh, they have the list of sizes for the cooper, widest I saw was 225. What's the conversion from 225 to inches?

Is that 7.5?
There are 25.4mm per inch, so 225 is 8.86". Bear in mind that a wheel is actually wider than its stated width because of the lip on the rim.

That's weird, why did BMW set the maximum width of rims for the Mini to be so short? Why not up to 10 inches?
Because the wheel well would be so large the MINI would be wider than it is long :p

When rims looks skinny, it makes the overall car looks weak...
The original Mini had 10" wheels. IMHO 17" wheels are too large and out-of-character for the MINI ... but to each his own ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's great, so the mini can fit 17 x 8.5 rims.

I wonder should I buy the rim now or wait until my car arrives. If I have the rims infront of me, i can picture my self driving the Mini with these cool rims.

Do you know of any manufacturer that sells magnesium alloy rims that weigh below 10 lbs? I'm looking for rim designs similar to forumla 1. I think Enkei and OZ has few of those designs but their wheel weighs over 10 lbs. The lightest one is 15 lbs.

They should also be 17 x 8.5 and 17 x 7.5.

Oh yeh, do you also know of any manufacturer that sells affordable racing suspensions? I want the suspension too be extremely tight, no bounces, and rolls. So even If I sit 4 people in the Mini, it won't lower the car at all. It will stay at its original height. Also, can you provide me with a manufacturer that sells affordable lowering springs? I want to lower the Mini by 2 inches in the rear and front. Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Formula 1 wheels have a DIAMETER of about 10inches and designs vary greatly.

Usually not made to be eye catching - dont want to draw the eyes from the sponsors names/logos!!!!!!!

Which design do you like?

Dave

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
onLOoker said:
That's great, so the mini can fit 17 x 8.5 rims.
That remains to be seen. Mini-Fan is running 17x8 wheels with 205/40 tires on his MINI which you can check out by clicking the following thumbnail:

Do you know of any manufacturer that sells magnesium alloy rims that weigh below 10 lbs? I'm looking for rim designs similar to forumla 1. I think Enkei and OZ has few of those designs but their wheel weighs over 10 lbs. The lightest one is 15 lbs.
I don't think magnesium wheels are recommended for street use. Why don't you contact The Tire Rack and ask for suggestions.

They should also be 17 x 8.5 and 17 x 7.5.
The MINI is not an M3 ... stick with all four wheels the same size!

Oh yeh, do you also know of any manufacturer that sells affordable racing suspensions? I want the suspension too be extremely tight, no bounces, and rolls. So even If I sit 4 people in the Mini, it won't lower the car at all. It will stay at its original height. Also, can you provide me with a manufacturer that sells affordable lowering springs? I want to lower the Mini by 2 inches in the rear and front.
I know 30mm lowering kits are being offered. There is a FAQ in the PERFORMANCE AND TUNING Forum which has links to companies offering aftermarket goodies for the MINI.

I wonder should I buy the rim now or wait until my car arrives. If I have the rims infront of me, i can picture my self driving the Mini with these cool rims.
I know you're excited about getting your MINI, but I'd recommend driving it awhile before going hog wild on modifying it ... you may like it just the way it is ;)

No offense intended, but your "fixation" with these wide rear wheels and your previous post regarding turbo-charging your CVT equipped (per your Roadfly post) MINI, lead me to believe you're thinking more about form than functionality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think fashion statement is extremely important. Owning a Mini Cooper itself without mods is a fashion statement. However, I would like to make it unique from other Mini owner's cars.

Functionality is also important, but as long as it runs well and comes with some luxurious features then I'm happy. Other than that, appearance gets all of the attention.

I would think you're a much older Mini owner and appearance doesn't seem to striking compare to praticality or function. I'm young, and majority of my peers and surroundings judge things by appearance. So fashion means a lot to me, and I think if my car has that same characteristic and personality like how I dress or act then my goal would be accomplished. The car reflects who you are. That's why I went with the Mini Cooper over a Honda Civic or Ford Focus. Owning a Mini Cooper is beyond ordinary and dull.

By the way, the picture with the 17x8 wheels you posted in the last message looks great. It would look much better with a increase of .5 inches on its width.

I'm thinking, I'll add the 17 x 8.5 rear and 17 x 7.5 front and chroming them. Polish the cars body, so the whole car, front roof, caps, body, wheels will shine in the sun and lights.

Probably in the near future, add a Clarion TV system for rear passenger's entertainment, and a TV in the front for front passenger and driver entertainment. Are any of you planning to add this tv system into your Mini?

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
They're 7x17s and cost about £1500 for the set, they're an option for the MINI offered by BMW dealers...I think you can get them factory fitted...not sure tho.

·
Registered
110 Posts
MINIAC said:
I'm buying my 'S' to DRIVE :D and not to cruise the boulevard :cool:

As I said earlier ... to each his own :rolleyes:
Miniac...would you happen to know who makes the wheels on MINIfan's car that you pictured? I have quized him but not heard back yet. To me those are the best looking wheels I've seen. Thanks for your help.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Miniac...would you happen to know who makes the wheels on MINIfan's car that you pictured? I have quized him but not heard back yet. To me those are the best looking wheels I've seen. Thanks for your help.
Killerbee...here's the info:
Mini-Fan wrote on February 23rd, 2002 09:01 AM:

Manufacturer: RH Alurad Höffken GmbH
Web : rh-alurad.de
Type of my wheels : ZW3
Size : 8Jx17
Offset (effective) : 45mm
Tires : Goodyear Eagle F1 205/40/17
The wheels are actually ET55 and a 10mm spacer is being used to reduce the offset.

·
Registered
110 Posts
MINIAC said:

Killerbee...here's the info:

The wheels are actually ET55 and a 10mm spacer is being used to reduce the offset.
Thank you very much. I must have missed that post. I plan on painting the Vs with a vivid yellow paint with the shiny part staying the same. On a black car with big vivid yellow racing stripes these wheels will follow in the Killerbee thread.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts