MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought snow tires last year, after the first major snow storm (when I found out my car had summer tires on it...) so this is my first winter when I have to decide when to switch over. I live in SE Mass, near Foxboro stadium. I don't want to put them on too early and suffer the extra noise and handling downgrade, but I don't want to go too late and get stuck at home for three days like last year!

All ideas welcome...

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
When I lived in Germany their law dictated that the tires should be switched around the first snow or when the temperature stayed around 7 degrees celsius (44.6 degrees fahrenheit). The temperature was usually the first to hit and that was around the end of October. Why? Well sumer tires are a softer rubber which hardens under 7 degrees thus causing a loss of traction. Winter tires are designed for lower temps and have more groves that allow for the tread to stay clean.

I plan on switching my summers off about the end of this month but this is my first time living this far north in the USA and I am on the Cape.

Also, once my winters are dead (maybe the last season for them) I plan on getting a good set of all season. ;) The roads in the USA are just not worth owning a set of high performance summer tires. I can't use them.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I didn't want summer tires on this car, my previous MINI had all-seasons, and I was perfectly happy with them. When I ordered this car I asked at least twice if the tires were all-season, and got a "yes". I also asked at delivery (when they looked very summer-y) if they were all season, and got another yes. Got the car in the spring after all the snows. Come the fall/winter 2007, as soon as the first snow hit I almost put the car in the pond at 5mph on my driveway.

Called the dealer, explaining the situation, and asked what they would do, as I had asked for all-seasons which these clearly were not. They refused to do anything initially, which I expected, I didn't think they would just get me a set of all-seasons for free. I then offered to buy a set of all-seasons from them at their cost price, and have them fit them for me for free (so all they would be out is their mark-up plus labour), but they refused that. I also offered to buy my own all-seasons from Tire Rack, have them shipped to the dealership and have them fit them for me for free (so all they would be chipping in would be labour), but they refused that too.

It was at that point that I decided never to go to that dealership again, and went out and bought wheels and snow tires from a local tire retailer. As you can tell, I was not very happy by this point, and out a decent sum of money! The snow tires are definitely better than the all-seasons, but I'm not sure that they are better enough to warrant having them given the driving I do. Like you, DaFlake, I don't really see the benefit of the summer tires over the all-seasons either. With the potholes round here I really need tires off an earth-moving vehicle!

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
I live in Finland, and while the law requires us to switch by 1st December, we are allowed to run studded winter tyres from 1st November, or when conditions allow. I switched when early mornings got frosty - winter tyres are better than summer tyres from 6 degrees celsius and below. The local Police switch in mid-October.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts