MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
schnitzer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I just sold my 53 mini Cooper, and will recieve my 54 cooper convertable in september, which i anticipate keeping for 6 months at the most. after the convertable i want to get another hardtop cooper, to my spec, (im thinking that gunmetal siliver with black roof black mirrors, stripes etc and black wheels).. and the aerokit.

anyway i dont want a Cooper S, or a JCW, id sooner have a cooper that has something up its sleeve.

so i have been looking at some other options, i have seen Maxi tuner have a turbo kit on the way, (but it needs the S bonnet which i dont want), and apparantly AMD technik have one, but i cant find any specs on it.

i am looking for around 200bhp

so i just wondered if anyone could help me with finding info on where when and how much i can get a turbo kit for. (UK info would be best)

thanks in advance,

tom.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Can't help you with the turbo but I am curious as to why you would buy a Convertible, run it through the winter months and then plan on selling it as the summer comes along? :)

·
schnitzer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i know ;) i only gonna run the convertable cus its likeley to hold its value, + my sister may take it next year. i couldnt stand to lose much money on it though, i just sold my mini for what i paid for it!

tom.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
the thing is, i would want the scoop for a turbo conversion, that or a modded front bumper with a front mounted intercooler, because the temperature would be insane. The other thing i will point out, i dont know owt about these aftermarket convesions, but you got to think about driveshaft wear, do they lower the compression (I wouldnt even bother if they dont cos it wont be reliable, no matter how low the boost), and various other things. How about a custom cooper bonnet with custom bonnet vents?? No point in a top mounted intercooler if no air can get to it!!!!!! Something will have to be modded any way, cos there is no way enough air can get through the cooper front bumper to a front mounted intercooler.

·
schnitzer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well id feel comfortable with a modded bumper, and front mounted intercooler, that way it would look like a cooper with a somethin extra ;) espeically with a nice sounding xhaust, aero kit and being a bit low.

another idea is using vents in the cooper bonnet, ill have to photoshop somethin up see if i like it.

i still cant find any info on anything. i think the cooper S bonnet with S intercooler sounds the easiest way to go, i hope i can do it without tho.

come on someone must have some info on a turbo kit!

thanks,
tom.

·
XYZ
271 Posts
I've been wanting to add more power to my ONE for a while now in the form of a turbo kit if possible or big valve cyclinder head and other engine mods using the standard setup.

I'm not sure about AmD's kit either - what the figures are, how much etc. I'm not even sure if they've finished developing it. Cool New are also developing one at the moment and are in the process of remapping the ECU to cope with the extra power when I last spoke to them.

One thing I would say about Maxi-Tuners kit is that it did seem to cover the end problems that may occur - they're cooling it well, using a custom manifold and ECU and uprating the clutch and/or gearbox which seems to be the major limitation on fitting a kit with so much power. I personally (and it seems they dont either) wouldn't think you would need to uprate the pistons etc. that some people have mentioned, as long as you had proper cooling.

In terms of the bonnet and cooling Maxi's prototype Stage 2 kit includes the cooler from the ONE D so no bonnet mods are needed although I'm not sure that this could cool a turbo'd car enough so I think some bonnet mods are almost a neccesary evil - I think I'd like it though - I'd buy an S badge so my MINI could be the MINI ONE S or design my own 'T' one for Turbo :D

Anyway, any more questions, fire away and I'm sure someone can answer them :D

:bone: Pat :bone:

·
Registered
235 Posts
i read the maxi tuner article in go mini magazine, sounds very promising. they're saying they can give 220bhp with their kit with a 0-62 in the low 6 second range. i've been looking for a turbo kit for a while now and i've got to say this one's really caught my eye.

they estimate the price at around 3000, not sure sure if it said pounds or euro's, but not really bothered, still very interested in it and keeping my ears open for more developments. could'nt see much info on their website about it though.

pubert.

·
schnitzer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
m7...

well i emailed M7 regarding the turbo kit, and the uk market.. they said to check thier site within 2 weeks and i might see somethin i like :cool: ....

the plan is me and my bro, with 2 mini coopers, aerokits, black/white wheels depending on the color of the roof, and some kind of lowering... (then tyres/breaks) and of course custom CooperT badges ;) .. both turbod runnin at 220ish hopefully if i can find a kit that will produce that.

i have been leanin toward custom bonnet vents rather than the S bonnet... i think it would be cool, but we will see. heh. /me starts saving :rolleyes:

tom.

·
schnitzer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i live in leek actually, work in tunstall.
my friend just brought my mini off me, he lives near stone! but its now in the garage cus he got caught in the floods in newcastle... ended up havin a new engine :confused: heh.

tom.

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
im sure i saw an article in one of the early gomini mags with a carbon fibre air cowling to impove air intake without the need to add a scoop in the bonnet on a Cooper. it was an american MINI, i will have a look thur my back issues and see if i can find who makes it. think it may be minimania in the USA

·
XYZ
271 Posts
Hi Ian,

I've been looking at van Aaken for a little while so its nice to know I'm not the only one. They seem to provide improved performance without the need to replace the gearbox or clutch or add intercoolers and the like due to their low boost chargers.

Be great to know how you got on and what the difference was in your Zetec-S as the ONE/Cooper drive fairly similar to the Zetec-S, performance wise :D

:bone: Pat :bone:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
MrMini748
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing