MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any car rental places in the Bay Area that have MCS's? I have gone on four test drives at dealer's lots, but I really want to spend a day with one and drive it on roads I am familiar with before I place an order.
Alternatively, is there anyone in Santa Cruz with a MCS that would be into trading cars for a day? I drive an E36 M3 with stage two type suspension (your teeth will rattle, but it rocks on 17.)

David

·
Mr Buttons!
837 Posts
I don't think you can. Rental places would most likely carry more practical cars than the MINI, although I'm not saying it isn't practical! Plus,MCS's are only manual, which would make it a very unlikely choice for rental car companies. But why would you want to give up an e36 M3 for a MINI? :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question, and that's why I keep going back and forth with the decision. I started out driving BMW's with a 2002, had three of them, then got an E30 325i, now the M3. The M3 is wonderful on the track (Club DE's) and on twisty, medium to high speed roads, but it is a rough ride for commuting and I wouldn't mind getting a bit better mileage. Also, the whole image thing: I loved the 2002's because they were quick on two lane roads and easy to drive arounnd town and no one thought of them as sports cars. The M3 causes anyone with a hopped up Honda to want to race or cut in front of me with their Dale Earnhart fantasies. Last, the M3 has been great, but it's got a lot of miles on it and I am ready for something different. :rolleyes:

·
MINI2 Voyeur
240 Posts
This is OT, but since you ask...

The M3 has always been the weekend car (aka garage queen) even before the MCS. The MCS was already going to be my "commuter car".

The two cars are characteristically different. The M3 has the torque, even in 5th gear. The MCS has the handling. What's more fun for me? the MCS. While I like my M3, it does have a heavier clutch than the MCS for regular driving. If I want the feel of torque, I'll take the M3 out, if I want to corner hard and mash the gears, I'll take the MCS. The stock '03 MCS is stiffer than my mostly stock M3 but with aftermarket sways.

It was also night and day between the 17" S-Lites and the 16" X-Lites. I originally had the 17" and the accelleration felt "sluggish", finally put on the 16" and wow, the car drives a whole lot faster (IMO). I did give up some handling performace since the 16" are all-season and all, but for a seat of the pant accelleration improvement, I don't mind. :p

Hope this helps

MiniCruzer said:
Thanks nulltty!

How do the M3 and MCS compare for you? Which is the weekend car?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts