MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Flying Scotsman
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

Need to understand where the vehicle mileage is stored....

Am playing with some satnav retrofit... and currently have moved the speedo to the steering column... and was surprised that the mileage has been preserved!

I was lead to beleive that the big central speedo had the mileage stored within it...which now seems unlikley, as, in vehicles without the central speedo... it would have to move somewhere...AND....two speedos work concurrently while showing the correct vehicle mileage!

Hope you are still with me.....

DJ

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's probably kept track of by the computer. I doubt it's stored in the key. If it was, wouldn't the mileage readout change whenever I used my spare key?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
All the information like that is stored on the cars computor/ECU, this then downloads to things like keys and speedos etc...

Its to prevent anyone from tampering with the cars mileage;)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
it is stored in many places.. one place it is not stored is in the dial/s on the steering wheel, these are just dumd displays showing what every they are told to show.

Now with you sat nat retro fit, it may come off the rails when you change the center speedo, as the stanav one is just a speedo with out the dial face (they replace that with the LCD screen) and the milage and other stuff is stored in there.

Will not stop the car working but you may get a tamper light (a small dot) and the service guys will find a lot of errors when they hook the car up to service it. :)

·
Flying Scotsman
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Folks - all good info...

Small dot - ah yes, that BMW trick... even on a MINI!?!?

I am leading to thinking the central speedo does infact hold the mileage master "copy"... and I suspect that the Satnav screen unit does too...

I have also found that the steering column displays are just that, and show what they are told..hence dual speedos is a go-er...

On that subject...have you noticed that some of the warning lamps are a) not illuminated when you have two speedos, and b) some of the lamps are in the !"wrong" place? ie, they light up in the right place, but the legend shown is for the wromng function...if that makes sence...

DJ

·
I could stop if I wanted
1,355 Posts
I think the mileage is in the central ECU. I have the Chrono pack, and have removed my tach / speedo at one time to fit the OEM chrome trim to them. When I plugged them back in, the needles swept one time and the mileage was still displayed. I highly doubt the Chrono gauge cluster would hold all the information...

·
Flying Scotsman
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok... thanks guys...

So...having researched it all pretty much to conclusion....the mileage is stored by the PCB that is mounted on the rear of the speedo (central) or the satnav board.

Both speedo and satnav is comprised of two PCB's - the rear board contains the instrumention.

It is known for sure (and I have tried this...) that the steering colum mounted gauges are just that - instruments that display what they are told to.

The mix up with warning lamps etc is down to coding which needs sorted by MODIC or GT1...

DJ

·
Fanatically Enthiusiastic
1,176 Posts
So does that mean if a new sat nav screen is fitted to a car that already is sat nav specced
that the mileage is lost??:confused:
Cheers Rob
Good question, because they don't lose the mileage in those situations. This would indicate that, at the least, the main ECU acts as a memory back-up to the dash mounted PCB or vice versa.

·
Flying Scotsman
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys... the instrumentation is built into the speedo or sat nav display.

There is a separate PCB that manages this function within the respective unit. This is the master reference for the info.

The mileage is also available for other devices to request via the K-bus as a simple telegram.

The mileage is also stored in the light swicthing centre (LSZ) and the immobiliser (EWS).

So, yes, if you change speedo or satnav units, you need to get the mileage sorted, along with the respective coding of all the usual units. :wink:

I am trying to put together all the info to retrofit satnav...so have been reading rather a lot of info receintly....

DJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys... the instrumentation is built into the speedo or sat nav display.

There is a separate PCB that manages this function within the respective unit. This is the master reference for the info.

The mileage is also available for other devices to request via the K-bus as a simple telegram.

The mileage is also stored in the light swicthing centre (LSZ) and the immobiliser (EWS).

So, yes, if you change speedo or satnav units, you need to get the mileage sorted, along with the respective coding of all the usual units. ?

I am trying to put together all the info to retrofit satnav...so have been reading rather a lot of info receintly....

DJ
Hi did you ever sort out how to restore the correct mileage as I've just changed my standard GEN1 center dial for a Chrono set and wish to reset the mileage to the correct numbers, any help would be very welcome, many thanks.

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
its stored in 3 places 1 the key, 2 the clock behind the steering wheel 3 the ews/cas unit, give this guy a call he can reset cloned clocks or brand new ones etc, to mileage that needed to keep it right,
PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 he's called dale you can mail the clocks and ews ecu to him and he can do the rest, last cas unit i had cloned i 24 hrs UPS it he sorts as soon as lands there then does same back again, he can also clone bcm and keys mileages hard set abs ecu to vin numbers etc on most things he's been doing it over 25 years so knows what he is doing,, he's the guy the garage calls when it getting to complicated electronics and code etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
its stored in 3 places 1 the key, 2 the clock behind the steering wheel 3 the ews/cas unit, give this guy a call he can reset cloned clocks or brand new ones etc, to mileage that needed to keep it right,
PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 he's called dale you can mail the clocks and ews ecu to him and he can do the rest, last cas unit i had cloned i 24 hrs UPS it he sorts as soon as lands there then does same back again, he can also clone bcm and keys mileages hard set abs ecu to vin numbers etc on most things he's been doing it over 25 years so knows what he is doing,, he's the guy the garage calls when it getting to complicated electronics and code etc
Many thanks and a swift reply

1 - 17 of 17 Posts