MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all this talk of downsizing in cars and how good it is on the pocket and the environment, the flip side of the coin was brought into perspective last month when my brother-in-law was killed in a head on accident whilst driving his Fiesta to work. He was stuck by a Mercedes Sprinter van head on with a combined speed of in excess of 140mph.

The van driver survived with only superficial injuries and was allowed home the same day. He is now facing prosecution .

Tragically my brother-in-law was killed instantly and leaves 3 children and a widow who is expecting a 4th child in 4 weeks time. This has turned their world upside down.

He was a consultant anaesthetist, and we wonder had he been driving a BMW 7 series or a G-Wagen would his chances of survival been better?

After the accident I felt unsafe every time a large vehicle travelled towards me. I even wondered why cars were not fitted with 5-point seatbelts and a complete safety cage? Why not a helmet too? After all, on Lincolshires roads you stand 30 times more chance of being killed on the roads each week than you do have chance of winning the National Lottery. People will queue for ages and travel miles to get their Lottery tickets, but not think twice about the risk on the roads.

Twice in the last twelve months I have had to take evasive action when cars have come over the centre of the road at me for no good reason. One of them even managed to clip the grass verge before regaining control.One of my passengers got neck burns from the seat belt due to emergency braking. The other happened so fast I had no time to react at all. Had I been 30 feet behind I would not be writing this now. All were driven by elderly motorists who were not paying attention.

I have no intention of this tragedy stopping me driving, but it has focused my thoughts on the subject of car accident safety. How can you be safe and drive an environmentally friendly car? I feel I have stared Death in the face too many times.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Apial, I'm so sorry to read your post.

I can't even consider debating this issue with you at this time, even though I do have views I could express.

:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts