MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

after my MCS developed an engine management alarm due to fuel causing pinking in cylibder 3 the Dealer has recommended that I don't use Supermarket (Tesco) unleaded because it is of poor quality.

Can anyone give me opinions on the fuel they use and if they have different performances between Companies (BP,Shell, Morrison's etc)? and obviously the variation of drive between Unleaded and Super Unleaded?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Absolutely laughable - a lot of supermarket fuel is actually supplied by the oil majors (BP,Shell, etc) For example Sainsburys fuel is supplied by BP. Tesco sell three different types of unleaded . Super 99 produced by Greenenergy which is widely acknowledged to be one of the best fuels available. It has a rating of at least 99 and in some tests has performed better than race fuel. They also sell a 97 rated octane where they do not sell the Super 99. Anecdotal evidence would suggest this is equivalent to BP Ultimate. Their normal unleaded is supplied by a variety of sources such as Harvest energy who also supply Asda and Morrisons.
All supermarket fuel has additives in much the same way that oil major fuel does. The MCS probably runs better on 97/98/99 fuel so I would have thought your fuel choices should be
Tesco Super 99
Tesco Super 97
Shell V Power
BP Ultimate
Sainsbury's 97
If these are not available then use 95 - you will get slightly less power but the car will still run fine. If your dealer persists with this rubbish then ask him to put it in writing.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Rubbish!

Mine runs on Asda and Tesco 95 for the most part with the occasional treat of 99 just fine.

The car should run on any petrol available in the UK (the owners manual probably states this...) and if it doesn't it's not fit for purpose IMO.

·
Registered
988 Posts
As scillyisles said, supermarket fuel is supplied by major companies, yes something may be added to the major companies fuel, but take this into consideration;

- Sainsbury's offers Nectar points for their fuel and BP fuel.
- BP tankers fill up Sainsbury's forecourts with petrol!
- Some Tesco supermarkets have Esso petrol stations attached to them.

I've used Sainsbury's standard unleaded, Asda standard, Tesco standard, Shell V-power, BP standard, BP Ultimate, Morrison standard and Tesco Super unleaded, and I've found little or no difference between any of them - either in performance or mpg (except for Tesco Super unleaded (97), which I did found gave me a little more mpg...however, this could have been due to a change in driving, weather etc).

·
Registered
296 Posts
I prefer Total 98 rather than V Power, cos it is real 98 RON. I suspect that V Power no longer is (Shell no longer advertises the "98" number on their fuel dispensers...). The real deal is always better than additives.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I run BP 97 in mine and nothing else. I'd like a higher octane fuel but like others have said I'm not sure that V-Power is 100 anymore. I'm not bothered by supermarket fuels either.

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
And we have to take our cars to these 'experts' for servicing etc....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Unless you have a modified ecu for example jcw or other tuning brands that specify 97 octane or higher. You should be able to run your car on 95 and a minimum of 91 octane. Mini's also have an engine knock sensor for pinking and retards the timing if needed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Familiar debate this one. My opinion? Don't waste your money - oil companies are making enough money without opting to pay them more for their 'premium' brands, especially when their performance-enhancing qualities are questionable ... have a read of this.

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
The cars they used where hardly "performance" cars though, and my r56 s used to run awful on 95 ron. Golf Gti's tested by magazines papers on the other hand did have a more significant increase on power and mgp. I have just bought a r56 mcs so cant comment on that yet :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Prior to getting an R56 'S' July last year I owned a Civic Type-R, I found using 98/99 octane fuel improved the performance and MPG. I used high octane fuel in the 'S' for months but when petrol prices peaked I changed to standard un-leaded and noticed no difference in performance or MPG :cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
didint which mag do a tst with rolling roads etc and found that the Golf TSi showed a 5% increase in power with Vpower.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts