MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am picking up my chilli red mini one in September after waiting 4 months so far! It is going to have the standard tape deck head unit when I pick it up. I am in the future thinking of upgrade the head unit to a CD/MP3 unit, I like the Sony CDX-M9900 but was wondering if anyone has got this unit and what they think of it. Are there any better head units I should consider?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
trialsride said:
I am picking up my chilli red mini one in September after waiting 4 months so far! It is going to have the standard tape deck head unit when I pick it up. I am in the future thinking of upgrade the head unit to a CD/MP3 unit, I like the Sony CDX-M9900 but was wondering if anyone has got this unit and what they think of it. Are there any better head units I should consider?
The trouble with this sort of question is nearly everbody thinks their head unit is best, thats
why they bought it. Have a browse of the head unit gallery to see what in your opinion suits
the mini interior. Try not to buy until the last possible minute as new head unit's are coming
out all the time. I hope someone who uses that Sony can also reply.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SteveM3 said:
The trouble with this sort of question is nearly everbody thinks their head unit is best, thats
why they bought it. Have a browse of the head unit gallery to see what in your opinion suits
the mini interior. Try not to buy until the last possible minute as new head unit's are coming
out all the time. I hope someone who uses that Sony can also reply.

Thats a good point, I did not think of that. cheers for the advice

·
MINI2 lurker
613 Posts
yeah, great advice stevem3, of course I know mine isnt the best headunit available, but it sure does a good job, I would personally read alot about each HU before making your decision and keep an eye out for budget beaters !

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
mikeythemini said:
748 - Should have that sorted this week - Clarion not playing ball too much
Cool.;)

It can't happen soon enough, how I've lasted this long on a Wave Radio?? :rolleyes:

·
XYZ
271 Posts
Got my CDX-M9900 last week - haven't had a chance to take any decent pics yet though.

Its a great head unit. I'll write a full review when I take some pics. I'd definately buy it again - love it :D

:bone: Pat :bone:

·
XYZ
271 Posts
Couldn't resist :D - just took some shots but my little 1.3MegaPixel cam is pretty poor quality. So I wont even bother putting those up :( . Video show more than pictures ever do anyway. So if anyone could be a real star and put a video on their website somewhere I'd be extremely grateful :D

If you have any video requests of it let me know and I'll film them and send them to you somehow.

Thing that annoyed me most about the old head unit was the lack of volume even at full. Even with the standard speakers I can turn it up to 20 (max is 50+) without distortion and with amazing quality. Thats with treble on +2dB and bass on +4dB I think. Max is +6dB. With the standard speakers it distorts too much with treble above +4dB (though they handle the bass pretty well) on certain high pitched tunes like the one in the video so to save fiddling around with the settings I keep treble on +2dB. When I say treble and bass I'm talking the maximum and minimum frequencies on the 7-band Equaliser though you can adjust just "Treble" and "Bass" as well which I presume alters top and low end but nothing in between unlike the EQ7. I'm still playing around a lot to find the very best I can :rolleyes:

Don't hesitate to ask me any questions - I love this head unit :D

·
XYZ
271 Posts
LOL Clarion obviously named it after me ;)

No 748 is simply lucky number (7) and birthday (4/8 - TOMORROW :D) - easy to remember.

You reckon I should change my name to MrMINI9900? :p

Take Care

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Sold one of the Kenwood Keg systems today to a Mini2er, 1 left. Cracking deal.
Looked at the RRP's today - stereo should be £500 ! Keg £600 !!!

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
mikeythemini said:
Sold one of the Kenwood Keg systems today to a Mini2er, 1 left. Cracking deal.
Looked at the RRP's today - stereo should be £500 ! Keg £600 !!!
What model Kenwood was it again? I can't find the thread. It was 10gid Keg as well wasn't it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
trialsride said:
I am in the future thinking of upgrade the head unit to a CD/MP3 unit, I like the Sony CDX-M9900 but was wondering if anyone has got this unit and what they think of it.
I've got it fitted and I'm delighted with it. Bought the adapter from Mickey The Mini, works beautifully with the MFSW. Sound is very good, and I think the design of the HU matches well with my anthracite interior. But then again, everybody thinks their HU is the best, that0s why they chose it in the first place! Personnally, I'm not a great Sony fan, but this one apparently was the only one in DIN-size with a video-in plug when I bought it.

Have also a look at this post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
Brett1
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing