MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of changing the original ignition coil, what’s the best OEM or upgrade for performance coils out there. What’s your experience and recommendations? Delphi / Borg Warner, Bosch, Benchmark, NGK Beru etc and what HT Leads brand and size 8.5? 2005 Cooper S R52 15% reduced / modified air box, exhausts, runs on super unleaded as not remapped. Thank You

· Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,620 Posts
stick with OEM,

leads also OEM or Magnecor,

I'd get it mapped if on a pulley, many don't but it doesn't make it right ;O)
(there is a false belief that the ECU adapts for the alterations.... it doesn't really, it's also worth considering that the factory mapped them for all three JCW versions, some say their AFR is checked and looks ok, that's good, but you don't see many saying they know the ignition timing has been.... just sayin')

don't forget to use colder plugs, especially if not mapped

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stick with OEM,

leads also OEM or Magnecor,

I'd get it mapped if on a pulley, many don't but it doesn't make it right ;O)
(there is a false belief that the ECU adapts for the alterations.... it doesn't really, it's also worth considering that the factory mapped them for all three JCW versions, some say their AFR is checked and looks ok, that's good, but you don't see many saying they know the ignition timing has been.... just sayin')

don't forget to use colder plugs, especially if not mapped
Thanks for response I forgot to say it’s also running Newman fast road cam, 250/400 pH2
Milltek resonated Cat-back exhaust 15% KAVS reduced supercharger pulley with Dave F' modified airbox and K&N cone filter
  • re AFR so looks like I need a remap to be sure she’s set right. The previous owner said tick over was a bit lumpy on regular unleaded. Not used her much since buying as crap weather and I need to do the rubber trim at rear bottom of sunroof and been working on MPI Mini.

· Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for response I forgot to say it’s also running Newman fast road cam, 250/400 pH2
Milltek resonated Cat-back exhaust 15% KAVS reduced supercharger pulley with Dave F' modified airbox and K&N cone filter
  • re AFR so looks like I need a remap to be sure she’s set right. The previous owner said tick over was a bit lumpy on regular unleaded. Not used her much since buying as crap weather and I need to do the rubber trim at rear bottom of sunroof and been working on MPI Mini.
Lumpy on tick over more likely due to the cam and its lift/timing and maybe tune. And to run even a stock S on regular is contrary to what MINI calls for.

With the mods, cam and 15% reduced which I assume means the supercharger pulley is undersized by 15% so the supercharger is spun faster for more boost I think you need to fuel with 98 (RON) and an EV fuel (petrol) test found Shell V-Power 98 the best street gasoline, err petrol.

A proper tune I think is advisable. While the ECU might adapt and fuel the engine right if it doesn't you'll find a proper tune would have been a lot cheaper than a new engine and then a proper tune...

· Registered
414 Posts
I use a Demon coil and Magnacor wires. Wlso have the 15% pulley and Borla Exhaust. Remapped and cold air intake. Then took 100 lbs out of vehicle. Premium fuel, Royal Purple oil and MTL trans fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts