MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello MINI2 members! I'm a long time lurker who finally went ahead and ordered an EB/W Cooper S with all packages and white racing stripes, silver wheels, interior chrome pack. The only part I had trouble with was the interior though. The seats definitely had to be the 2-tone lightgrey/darkgrey leatherette and I went with the lighter gray roof liner as opposed to anthracite because the outer roof was white also. I couldn't really decide on the dash color though. For now I have the anthracite dash but I'm worried that will be too dark because of the light exterior and contrasting seats. The silver looked kind of cheap/plasticky in my opinion and the alloy patina looked more like brushed plastic than brushed metal. I was considering the EB body color dashboard, I thought it might be cool and kind of retro like the classic 50's cars but wasnt sure if it would look too girly (no offense to the ladies) or get annoying after a while. The other option I was considering is the carbon fiber dash. Please help me out because I only have 2 weeks to adjust my order! Pics are appreciated too. Thank you!

· M5 Extraordinare!
7,034 Posts
You said two tone leather do you mean the Lapis Blue Leather? that goes very well with EB even tho its a tiny bit barker than EB it goes very well.

As for Dash... when I ordered anthrcite was just comming out and I saw the first one at the dealer and its too dark. Silver is too light for my taste and the Alloy Patina is still the best in my opinion. Body color... I think would be too bright.

I'll pick out and e-mail you some high res pics tomorrow so you can see the dash. e-mail me.

[email protected]

Eric

· Registered
91 Posts
GM, I really like the EB dash, but with the more monochromatic look you've chosen for the seats (as opposed to the Lapis seats), the body color might look out of place in your interior. Have you considered any aftermarket finishes?

· Fly it like you stole it!
95 Posts
Well if you're just wanting opinions then.......If you go with the lapis blue leather, do not get the EB dash, doesn't match up right. If you go with full black leather or leatherette, then I say definetly go with the EB dash. Bottom line, in my opinion, if you have an EB or HB exterior, then definetly go with at least blue dash, OR blue leather, at least one of them, but not both off them. I got HB/W and the Lapis blue leather option. I love the HB dash set, but admit with others that it doesn't look right against the lapis blue leather. Good luck choosing. The decisions I had to make when building my Mini were so nerve wrecking, there's just to many good choices out there. I must have changed my order 7 or 8 times. Have fun.

Ciao, Daron

· Registered
484 Posts
I would go for the body-colored dash with darker colors like HB or BRG. I´m not so sure about the lurid EB. I have the alloy patina (nothing else except silver was available back in 03) and I´m very satisfied with the look. It´s obviously plastic, but that also applies for silver or antracite. I don´t know the finish of the carbon fibre trim, but would think that would suit a more clean and technical color choice like DS/B or PS/B more than the funky EB/W.

But being in or situation I would definitely go for the darker roof liner. I had an anthracite roof cover on my last BMW and it looked so special and expensive and made a beautiful contrast to most of the other cars around. In general I don´t like light car interiors, I don´t understand the American, Japanese or French car manufacturers that keep fitting their cars with light grey or beige interiors. It´s much harder to find the materials to create the impression of high quality with these tones and afterall the interiors look like plushy living areas which does IMHO not fit in a highly technical product like a car.

Klaus

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To those of you who replied so far, thank you for your input. I should have been a bit more clear with the seats I was describing. They are the grey leatherette and I guess on the 2005 models only the middle part of the seat is grey. Here is a picture of what I mean:

I was just sitting in a Mazda RX-8 with red/black leather interior and noticed that while the seats and door panels have bits of red the dash only contains black/silver/chrome. The more I thought about it I realized that the dash should be kind of darker/neutral because it would become distracting to the driver. EB is probably too bright of a color for the dash. Anthracite is probably too dark for this too but I think Carbon Fiber would be a good candidate? Carbon Fiber has botht he light colors of the silver accents and gray leatherette seats and the dark colors of the rest of the dash/floor/doors. And with the chrome rings it would look unbelievable! The other option I guess would be the Alloy Patina but I still think it looks more like plastic than brushed metal. If anyone has any input on their experiences with these finishes for the dash I am open for suggestions! Thanks once again!

95 Posts
Ok, well if you are not going with lapis blue leather at all then I would say go with the EB dash. I personally think it would look the best if you had a darker upholstery look, such as black leatherette or black leather, hell even gray leather or leatherette, with the EB dash, two tone looks are cool, but too many tones doesn't look good to me. Again though, just my opinion, and opinions vary.

Ciao, Daron

· M5 Extraordinare!
7,034 Posts
GMFlash said:
To those of you who replied so far, thank you for your input. I should have been a bit more clear with the seats I was describing. They are the grey leatherette and I guess on the 2005 models only the middle part of the seat is grey. Here is a picture of what I mean:
Oh I didnt even know they had that option! :eek: :p

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I did a little bit of image editing to show what the EB dash might look like with the different colors of Leatherette. The first pic is of the Black Leatherette seats I found in the forum. The second is my edited version which shows the Grey Leatherette (also made doors and dash a little brighter since grey leatherette gets grey doors instead of black). I'm having second thoughts about the EB dash and think it looks pretty good in those pics I attached. The only difference is that I would have the chrome instruments instead of the standard silver.

On the miniusa website for the Carbon Fiber Interior Trim Kit it says "Kit consists of dash and door panel inserts". Are the door panel inserts the part of the door in the picture I attached that is colored in blue (the part with the little elbow rest, or is it the main part of the door which all that stuff screws into? If only that colored elbow rest part is in carbon fiber along w/ the dashboard that would look really neat! Is the kit just a carbon fiber film that covers your existing panels or do you actually get a second set of panels in the carbon fiber material and get to keep your originals? Anyone have pics of the 2005 MINI carbon fiber interior? Perhaps a shot with both dash and door panels all in one picture? My email is gmflash @[email protected] gmail @[email protected] com if anyone would like to send some.

I guess my two choices are now between EB dash/door and Carbon Fiber dash/door both with Grey Leatherette and Chromeline interior. Opinions please :)

Attachments

95 Posts
Carbon Fiber....yuck...uck, but just my personal taste. I have seen the black leatherette and Hyper blue dash/door with chromeline interior and it looked awesome, so would EB I think. I would go with the picture on the left, black leatherette with EB dash/door, and chrome, would look the best.

Ciao, Daron

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ciao Daron! Just noticed you are in Italy. I was born there many years ago and I'm in the process of re-learning Italian and staying there for a while.

Thinking about what you said concerning the black leatherette, its starting to make sense in that it would really allow the electric blue dash and chrome to shine. I'm just concerned that it would be too dark considering the outside of the car is EB/White Roof/Stripes. Has anyone seen an EB/W with black interior? I figured that the grey leatherette would blend in more with the light colors than the black would?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I have decided to go with the EB dash but now the only questions are Black Leatherette or Grey Leatherette? Anthracite roof liner or not? I love the contrast of the black with EB but am worried it might be too dark for the exterior EB body color? But then again the dash will be black anyway no matter what color leatherette I choose, right? Also, does choosing the anthracite roof liner give me the darker anthracite downtubes too, because I think that silver downtubes would look best w/ the EB dash & Black seats. Please help me decide because once I get this I will be posting many pics for all future MINI buyers to see in here! :) Currently there are no EB dash pics from owners in here so I am helping you out too.

· working at MINI Guildford
1,010 Posts
I lve the EB dash, i almost changed my order. I have a HB S coming with HB dash witch is cool but i do think the EB looks by far the best out of all the interior colour options.
I was going to get the dark roof lining but it made the inside so much darker and looked alot smaller because of it. I think the popular choice for the seat's would be black, like on mine but i wanted to be different so i went for the blue cloth/black lether combo, even though i do think the black might look better but i like to be different :rolleyes: :D

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally narrowed the choice down to Black Leatherette, EB dash, Chromeline interior, and the regular roof liner (non-anthracite). What a long journey it's been! :) I'll make sure to post pics when I get it in December. Thank you everyone for your input!

· Registered
484 Posts
I can only repeat, a dark roof liner is one of the most efficient and easiest ways to make a car look expensive and special. And it will accentuate the luminance of the EB dash.

You have to decide, but anthracite roof liner would be a no-brainer for me.

Klaus

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just thinking it might look weird with a bright color like EB especially with a white roof? You don't want to have this glowing EB dash w/ chrome in an all black interior do you? Wouldn't it make the dash look kind of out of place?

KlausR said:
I can only repeat, a dark roof liner is one of the most efficient and easiest ways to make a car look expensive and special. And it will accentuate the luminance of the EB dash.

You have to decide, but anthracite roof liner would be a no-brainer for me.

Klaus

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let's say I didn't like the EB dash once I got it... I can always buy new dash/door panels for about $150 from the dealer, right? Should be cheaper on the 05's than previous years since the airbag was moved.

· Registered
484 Posts
GMFlash said:
I'm just thinking it might look weird with a bright color like EB especially with a white roof? You don't want to have this glowing EB dash w/ chrome in an all black interior do you? Wouldn't it make the dash look kind of out of place?
I wouldn´t conisder the white roof as a problem. Contrasts are interesting, think of the tinted windows in combination with the white roof. Concerning the EB dash, I´m really not so sure if I wanted a light blue interior. I´d probably go for the body-colored dash with HB. But i´d still say, the more lurid and highlight parts you have in your interior the better does the dark roof liner fit. A friend of mine drives a silver BMW 323ti with black leather seats, anthracite roof liner and chrome interior trim and although it´s a rather old model the car looks still interesting and high-value.
Of course it´s all a matter of personal taste. I`m very fond of the idea of contrasting color themes for the MINI, that´s why I chose EB/W and that I would´nt dare painting the wheel arches.

Klaus

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.