MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

Im getting one those brand spanking new Ipod Photo's for xmas from the parentals this year! http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/

They are also going to get me the kit so that it connects to my standard CD boost cd player in my MINI. I have to find out which one is the right one and i was just wondering if anyone can tell me which one is the best and which will work with the new Ipod Photo models.

I was just looking at the one mikethemini offers and it looks very nice, will that be compatible with my Ipod and my current standard cd player. Also can you still control the Ipod 100% while its plugged into the Icelink?

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated and i can tell them exactly what needs ordering and how much it will be etc.

Cheers guys!

·
I want that one in blue..
53 Posts
Daniel,

I picked up the 40Gb last week in the states,

The fitting all depends on the Ipod adaptor you go for.

If you are using a standard Ipod adaptor connected to something like the Dension then you are fine.

If you decide to use a Active cradlee like the one also provided by Dension then you will need to check the depth that is supported by the holder because the Ipod Photo is slightly thicker(0.75") than the standard Ipod (0.69")

See link for further info:
http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=378&Itemid=82

When I picked up my photo Ipod, the apple guy advised not to pick up a standard Ipod 40Gb case as it would be a slight squeeze.

Alpine also do a range of Ipod compatible head units that show track information on screen however the big downside is that when scrolling through tracks takes and age as it scrolls down one at a time.

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for the help guys. So basically do you think that mikethemini's ice link shud basically do the trick? This would be nice if it would as i can get it all ordered. Anyone else got any insight into the new Ipod Photo with regards to connecting to the stereo also?

·
53 Posts
In terms of the Ipod photo, it suppors exactly the same interface connections as the other 3G/4G Ipods.

I keep reading posts (and even the guys in Apple store New York) say that the Ipod Photo 60gb is thicker than the 40Gb photo, however they are both listed as the same thickness on the Apple website

http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/specs.html

Both 40/60Gb Ipod Photo are thicker than the standard 40Gb 4G ipod by around 0.06"

I'm guessing the TV output and colour screen make the unit slightly thicker whilst the 40Gb/60Gb hard drives are the same thickness.

Ipod 20/40Gb
4.1 x 2.4 x 0.57 inches
4.1 x 2.4 x 0.69 inches

Ipod Mini
3.6 x 2.0 x 0.5 inches

Ipod Photo 40/60Gb
4.1 x 2.4 x 0.75 inches[

·
53 Posts
The Ipod Photo is cool, I used a black and white screen version earlier today and it seemed weird.

The photo functionality is ok but the colour screen sold me.

Any particular question you have drop me a note or post of this thread.

Oh, and welcome to Mini2.com :D

Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.