MINI Cooper Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a ported and polished head for around £700 or less with fitting on top. I have been offered a stage 2 head from Roland.

Anyone recommend some decent ported/polished heads that will make 10-15 bhp diff given the poor performance of the standard head. Will be keeping the standard cam for the moment as I don't want to loose the bottom end grunt.

My car is running:
15% Pulley
JCW Map
Performance panel filter
GRS i/c
GTT manifold
One ball back box conversion

Will prob convert to 17% at the same time whilst the engine is in pieces.

Thanks

Carl

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
Looking for a ported and polished head for around £700 or less with fitting on top. I have been offered a stage 2 head from Roland.

Anyone recommend some decent ported/polished heads that will make 10-15 bhp diff given the poor performance of the standard head. Will be keeping the standard cam for the moment as I don't want to loose the bottom end grunt.

My car is running:
15% Pulley
JCW Map
Performance panel filter
GRS i/c
GTT manifold

Thanks

Carl
I would recommend RMW head. There is only one version of this head. . . fast:biggrin:

I would save up another few hundred £'s and buy that as it comes with all the bits for one price

If you look at the RR table the top 2 cars are running RMW heads and they are also at the top of the torque leader board.

The results speak for themselves

Mine was all done on 15% pulley as well;)

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
To be fully correct - joint first in the Torque table is my GP with GTT Stage 4 head and other GTT bits along with Minimotorsport exhaust.

·
Registered
267 Posts

My car is running:
15% Pulley
JCW Map
Performance panel filter
GRS i/c
GTT manifold

Thanks

Carl
roland is the man for the head.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thumper head...great price with great performance.
Top choice for the street/daily drive...you will not loose any bottom end grunt with ths head you will gain heaps low to mid range.
I teamed this head with a newmans street cam and it rocks!
Thumper is the man!

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Iirc the only supercharged cars that have proven over 270 BHP run Revolution Mini Works Heads (RMW) with a combination of pulley, cam, grs, and manifold. Jan of RMW has excellent customer service too! Heads are the most important mod so make sure the tuner/supplier proves it works ;)

It seems to give the most gains with the least amount of mods :D

·
Registered
812 Posts
No performance manufacturer makes as many tuning products in house as revolution mini works Jan really is the tuning man...:smile:

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Without all the bravado and hype !
The cylinder head is one of the most gains you can get with the MINI performance wise ,
What is the difference between any of the heads? very little they all must conform to certain limts valve size ,port size and shape , valve angles ,seats - .....
It is important that the head is checked and is flat ,good valve guides,and most importantly for cracks
In terms of performance there is little difference between any of the currently available heads they all flow around the same , mainly because they all have the same limits , there is a slight window for variation .
There is growing evidence of cracks appearing in older heads after time ,and it is looking heat driven - So if choosing to replace the head it would also pay to attend to the proper cooling needs .
There are hundreds of tuned MINI s whose owners do not participate in Forums and post up dynos so to use a small selection of those on here who do is not a great overview.

Alski on here is using a head done from my supplier ,and made 100bhp over stock with stock intake valves ,this sort of gain would be fairly typical with pretty much any reasonably done head and components to suit

·
Registered
41 Posts
Minimaniauk..well said! In the beginning the ported heads were showing a 20-25 WHP gain on a 15%-17% Pullied engine ( No Tune) then the larger valve size started to appear.. and that went way overboard.. still the HP gains were down around 30 WHP, a couple years ago..Jan showed up at the Dragon with a head and he claimed a 32 WHP Gain BOLT ON!! 8 more than most others, C&C with larger valves.

However the Heads have come a long way from a year ago.. and with the added tuning.. the power is up there.. however it is the HEAD and the TUNE that is making this power.. not either one alone ( both are good... better together)!! If you have a tuner around that will custom tune after the head install..Then choose wisely as there are more than a few Vendors out there that can equal the RMW Heads with a tune. Jan has set the Bar, and now we are trying to catch him.. slowly we are getting there. just a thought.

Yes on the cracks in the chambers.. Check the heads well before buying , yes?? The cracks are hard to see.

Hope this helps..

Just me................................

Thumper

Attachments

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i'm running GTT stage 2, been very happy with it, i too am running 100Bhp more than standard. Oh and this too is on standard valves. Also i think GTT heads are all brand new heads now. I myself have a spare brand new head which i may well be putting to stage 4.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
I have tuned Mini's all over the US and now we are tuning them remotely in England and there is no head out there that even comes close to flowing what our head will do. At every dyno day the highest hp car is always a RMW kit. Our track times prove it too.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
At every dyno day the highest hp car is always a RMW kit.
Unless of course a GTT 300T turns up :eek: :p :D:D:D ;)

I'm not in the market for a cylinder head, but if I were I'd either source one through MiniMania (I've had things done by Adam in the past, and his service is always excellent), or I'd see Roland at GTT - purely as he's more local to me, so would give me more backup in the event of an issue. Nothing against the RMW product as I've heard it's excellent, but I'd rather have my tuner local.

As Adam said above though, all heads will in fact be pretty much the same, as they're all working to the same confined limits. At the end of the day, there is only so much machining and polishing you can do ;)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I have tuned Mini's all over the US and now we are tuning them remotely in England and there is no head out there that even comes close to flowing what our head will do. At every dyno day the highest hp car is always a RMW kit. Our track times prove it too.

How do you tune remotely. When i mentioned this to my guy he turned his nose up. He said you never know how a car is perfoming unless you are with it.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Unless of course a GTT 300T turns up :eek: :p :D:D:D ;)

I'm not in the market for a cylinder head, but if I were I'd either source one through MiniMania (I've had things done by Adam in the past, and his service is always excellent), or I'd see Roland at GTT - purely as he's more local to me, so would give me more backup in the event of an issue. Nothing against the RMW product as I've heard it's excellent, but I'd rather have my tuner local.

As Adam said above though, all heads will in fact be pretty much the same, as they're all working to the same confined limits. At the end of the day, there is only so much machining and polishing you can do ;)
let's clear up some major misconceptions here:

1. GT300 won't even get near my 2.0L stroker turbo car.... my car beats it at 13psi... when I turn up the boost to 30psi.... it's on another planet

2. Adam is entirely wrong about flow..... our cylinder head typically flows over 30cfm over the best heads out there

3. It's not just about machining and polishing.... its about how the air flows around the valves;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.