MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first service due (13k) on my F55 SD and I believe the microfilter also needs changing.
I believe the part number for the microfiter I need is either 64116823724, supereceded by 64116823725.
There seem to be variations even with the part number with some being activated charcoal and some not. How do I know which is suitable for mine?

If it matters, I don't have any kind of climate control, just manual A/C.

Also, where's best/cheapest to get the microfilter from. I think mini quoted me c£50

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Fleabay. Those filters do vary considerably in price and, no doubt, quality. The MINI one will be quality and correct, but stupid rip off price. I got a Crossland Pollen Cabin Filter for my 2005 R53 in March last year. £5.38 delivered. Don't think I'm going to die from dust/pollen/deadly particles entering my cabin.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My previous cars both came with cabin air filters. It was very nice when driving in very dusty conditions -- in the desert southwest (USA) -- and in other areas -- Kansas -- in the fall when agriculture burning was taking place -- to have the cabin filter. Both of my cars were fitted with the activated charcoal filter too.

Even when not in circumstances where there is a lot of visible dust in the air, roads are very dusty. Rubber dust, silica from the road "metal" (rock) used to make the pavement, is thick. While one can't see it it is there. The cabin filter removes this.

(Not too long ago replaced the engine air filter of one of my other cars. The amount of black dust -- rubber dust -- the filter had accumulated was amazing. I removed the foam layer and turned the filter upside down and smacked it on the sidewalk and there were nice straight lines of black dust that had come from the folds in the filter element pleats.)

The filters help keep the interior of the A/C and heater system clean. This helps reduce the possibly the A/C evaporator collects a suitable amount of mold/mildew spores. What can happen is in the damp conditions the mold/mildew can grow and cover part of the evaporator and then the car's A/C system developed a foul odor that is very hard to address.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Fleabay. Those filters do vary considerably in price and, no doubt, quality. The MINI one will be quality and correct, but stupid rip off price. I got a Crossland Pollen Cabin Filter for my 2005 R53 in March last year. £5.38 delivered. Don't think I'm going to die from dust/pollen/deadly particles entering my cabin.
crossland are good as still must comply with eu directives and standards by law, i remember a few years ago a car turned up with heater not working very well next to no air coming out of vents, the owner owned car from 2 years old and had let a local garage service it hmmm this garage over a 7 year span of servicing it never changed the pollen filter in this time and to say it was blocked is a understatement its was around a inch thinks is crud and crime nasty,, he complained about the smell and lack of blown air and aircon when used its seemed to lead to having colds etc,, 7 years worth of all kinds of airborn good knows what they were breathing in every time used the car.. and car was used rural road a lot.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
(Not too long ago replaced the engine air filter of one of my other cars. The amount of black dust -- rubber dust -- the filter had accumulated was amazing. I removed the foam layer and turned the filter upside down and smacked it on the sidewalk and there were nice straight lines of black dust that had come from the folds in the filter element pleats.)
Luckily no deserts here in the UK. My parents lived in Kuwait until I was 17 - lot of desert there. In fact that's all there is:big_grin:

The Filthy Filter Forum Shoot Out. Come on, show us your filters.
This came out of my car when I went through it after I bought it in 2016. Don't think it had been changed since Moses was a boy. Incredible. The car was a lot quicker with a new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
No pic of the dirty (Boxster) air filter. The foam layer on top of the paper element was covered with leaves/plant trash.

This happens because the engine air intake is located on the side of the car behind the driver's door. The radiator fans -- one each front corner of the car -- when running really create a mini dust cloud and the dust and any other trash the fans kick up flows right past the engine air intake opening. IOWs, the engine air filter is located at a particularly dirty location.

The paper element was full of dust.

I don't know how long it had been since I had the filter changed -- more than a few years I guess, I kind of lost track of the time/miles when I was taking care of my elderly parents -- but the engine ran remarkably better after I replaced the filter.

In changing the filter some leaves fell into the air box. I know from before this is possible but while I didn't have a shop vacuum I used a wad of sticky tape on a stick to fish out the leaves. But a couple were caught up out of sight and after I had installed the new filter the leaves got into the air box and gathered in the air tube from the box to the intake manifold. They were stopped by a plastic screen not there for this but to help tailer/smooth the air flow at the MAF. The leaves interfered with this air flow and triggerd a CEL (check engine light). Got that sorted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there How To guide on replacing this for F series?
Seen loads on R series but not on F

Had a look under footwell today, could do with knowing which screws need opening and what type they are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts