MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all,
New to the forum and thinking of buying a MINI hatch but having trouble deciding which model to go for. It will be a 2nd car for a bit of fun, not main transport so mileage will be low, probably around 4000 pa. I don't really want a Cooper S, so I was thinking of a Cooper. Pricing pushed me towards a late 2nd Generation, around 2012 if I'm to spend £5k max. but, the petrol motors in these versions seem to be plagued with timing chain & cooling issues, the earlier diesels seem to have turbocharger issues and the later N47 diesels have timing chain problems which seem to be worse than their petrol cousins.
Is there an answer to this dilemma? 3rd generation cars are a bit pricey at the moment, but is it worth spending a bit more on a 3rd generation car? Are these any better?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi
I bought a 2011 2nd gen Cooper last June, 54k miles , cost about £5k, beforehand I checked with my local garage (v good mechanic) the cost of a chain kit replacement and then budgeted for that when I bought mine. So if it's done 50/60 k miles and does not come with a receipt for a timing chain job, you know that will be an immediate expense.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts