MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's something to get your teeth into. I'm looking to mod my newly acquired 2002 Mini Cooper S but need some advice as all my knowledge is on Impreza's. Here's a few questions:

Which brakes?
Which Suspension? (Coilovers, springs or spring/damper setup)
Which airfilter? (panel or induction)
Which exhaust? (Catback & sports cat)
Which wheels? (for spares to use on track) Plus which offset for aftermarket wheels?
Which engine mods?
Which strut braces?
Which tuning company for custom maps?
Anything else i've missed?

Any suggestions would be of help just as a reference point when start searching the market. I'll probably be looking to get 220BHP really as anything above that seems to be silly money :eek:)

Cheers

MAFFA

·
Registered
248 Posts
You will be able to get 220bhp fairly easily most tuners stage 2 upgrade make around that horsepower. The Lohen website is a good starting point.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Okay here's something to get your teeth into. I'm looking to mod my newly acquired 2002 Mini Cooper S but need some advice as all my knowledge is on Impreza's. Here's a few questions:

Which brakes?
Which wheels? (for spares to use on track) Plus which offset for aftermarket wheels?
Which engine mods?
Which strut braces?

MAFFA
Just replied to your thread on the general discussion board and then found this. More information can be found on all of these products with a search of the forums, but here's my understanding. Happy for anyone to correct me!

Which brakes?
Either upgrade to R56 disks (same as the R53 JCW), or go for the GTT spiroslot disks. They're great, if a bit squeaky.

Not my field of expertise- I know Superflex bushes are well recommended though (just put a set on mine)

Bit contentious this one, depending on whether you like closed or open ones. I have a GTT airfilter and no complaints at all. Roland will tell you it's the best, but I haven't seen an independent test :)

Most people dig the Milltek.

16" wheels are generally regarded as the best for ride and handling, but it may also depend on what else you do to your suspension

Which engine mods?
As mentioned on other post - supercharger pulley/belt and spark plugs are the first things really.

Which strut braces?
GTT's strut brace has had good reviews. I'm sure there are other good ones.

1320 from what I hear. Again there are others who will also do a good job

·
Registered
460 Posts
for tune up (pulley, map intercooler etc) [email protected] or dave at think mini

your better off starting with the handling no other suspension comes close to the jic magic cross coilovers (jan @ RMW is the only person on mini2 who supplies these) while thats being done a set of superlfex lower wish bone bushes help

i supply all the m7 braces

exhaust: millteck, quicksilver or borla or mangnaflow

brakes: unless you want a BBK carbotech pads are a very good upgrade along with 5.1 fluid (the new works 4 pot BBK is the most cost effective in the uk)

wheels for track: team dynamics or OZ

dont forget a GRS intercooler

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
if you do a lot of track time tyres will be your biggest spend, so look at that and work backwoods
16" alloys are cheaper than 17"
watch out on droping rear too much, i think rear control arms might be worth the cost for tyres alone

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts

Which brakes?
Which engine mods?
Which strut braces?

Any suggestions would be of help just as a reference point when start searching the market. I'll probably be looking to get 220BHP really as anything above that seems to be silly money :eek:)

Cheers

MAFFA

220bhp can be obtained for about £500 so very cheap.

Strut braces: M7 braces or OMP.

1320 autos for custom tune

Wheels: Team dynamics 1.2s

Exhaust: I run stock and my car has 270+bhp:aargh:

Air filter: JCW airbox is the best IMO as it is enclosed from the engine bay

Suspension: Cross coilovers from Jan(RMW)

Brakes: various big brake kits but I would go for either wilwood brakes, New JCW brakes from modmini or just uprate the pads and keep stock cailpers which is the cheapest way:)

Hope this helps

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
Also have a read of this:

1320autos Guide to 1st Gen MCS Tuning

Here at 1320autos one of our many mottos is:

‘It’s not how much you spend - but how well you spend it!’

The reasoning behind this is that we believe in using as many stock components as we can so that when spending your hard earned money it’s on the right parts that are actually going to transform the engine to the power level you require.

Primarily, we understand that each customer is different, requiring different things from their pride and joy, which is why we don’t offer blanket, catch-all packages. For example, some customers want a Cold Air Intake (CAI) and cat back exhaust system to enhance the acoustics of their Mini. However, a lot of the standard cat backs are now getting to the stage of falling apart due to corrosion, so replacing them makes sense, even though they do little to increase horsepower. This is why we’d rather meet you in person as well as your car, so as to talk through thoroughly the options you have available to you. So, here’s a guide to what we’d initially advise.

The first thing we recommend is to dyno your Mini to see what power you have to start with as it’s really all about gains; at this point we’d also complete an engine health check which includes checking the compression and cylinder leak-down of each cylinder as this will give us an indication of the suitability of your car to any potential mods. This can also highlight power losses before the tuning starts thereby rectifying any potential problems which will be a nice bonus before you even start on your quest for new-found horsepower/torque.

From a horsepower point of view, what would be the first thing that we advise you to do? Changing the supercharger pulley is the obvious choice for most. We use, as many do, the Alta V2 pulley. These come in 15% or 17% and can be fitted with a new belt for only £283 (VAT inc). The advantage of using this particular brand is that you can swap them over fairly easily to see which bests suits your style of driving. A new set of NGK plugs, as used in our 356bhp Mini can be added for just £30 (VAT inc).

Next on the list is a GRS Intercooler. Due to the pulley now spinning the supercharger faster more heat is being created which means you are increasing the Intake Air Temperature (IAT). Once the ECU sees this rising above 50 degrees celcius, it retards the timing and throws more fuel in, unfortunately this means you will be losing horsepower so a new intercooler is very important and the GRS at £396 (VAT inc) or £431.20 (VAT inc) fitted is, in our opinion, the best on the market.

So now you’re cooling the IAT the best that you can and you’re producing more power from spinning the charger faster, which creates more boost, the next logical step is to help the gasses escape quicker. Fit an exhaust manifold (RMW shorty, race header or Janspeed )

So what’s next? Well, if you find that you need even more horsepower, as so many do, the next step after this would be the 1320 Camshaft which is £352.50 fitted (VAT Inc). However, at this stage we would recommend 380cc injectors because now we’re heading towards a massive 250 bhp!

Of course, along with the 1320 Camshaft you could purchase, as an increasing number of our customers are, a CNC head, bigger injectors at 440cc and ARP head studs from RMW in California. Fitting these at the same time as the camshaft makes sense - if funds allow – as that’s the way you seem to be heading.

One of the final steps on your tuning path is to tune the ECU, which is a must with the RMW head and injectors. This will enable you to get the most out of the modifications you have already purchased. Like everything else we provide, it’s bespoke for your car.

So it’s at this point that you’re probably asking why we don’t list our modifications as Stage 1 with X bhp and Stage 2 with X bhp and so forth.

Well, the answer to that is quite simple. We’ve seen Cooper S’s make anywhere between 140 bhp to 195 bhp in stock form, obviously the 140bhp had its fair share of problems and was restored to 185bhp before we started modifying it. These are obviously extreme cases but unless you dyno before and after we cannot guarantee that adding certain components will give you a certain amount of power.

So that’s the beginners’ guide to modifying according to 1320autos . We haven’t even touched on suspension, roll cages, gauges, turbos or the many other options that are open to you. Whatever you’ve got planned for your Mini you can be assured that we’ll be right alongside you on your tuning adventure for as long as you and your Mini are together.

Always remember though:

It’s not what you spend - but how well you spend it!

If you have any questions, you can call us on 01234 376089 or 077899 54347, [email protected]

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow that's a lot of information to get started with. I think i'll print this out and start doing a bit of shopping around to find what best suits my needs.

1320 autos seems to be highly recommended across the board & they are only in Cambridgeshire (not far now I have double the MPG of the old M5 :D ). I can't seem to get onto their website though?

Cheers

MAFFA

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
Wow that's a lot of information to get started with. I think i'll print this out and start doing a bit of shopping around to find what best suits my needs.

1320 autos seems to be highly recommended across the board & they are only in Cambridgeshire (not far now I have double the MPG of the old M5 :D ). I can't seem to get onto their website though?

Cheers

MAFFA
I think it is under construction, just ring them;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sadly...brakes are always last in line. The product is just not as sexy I guess. Too bad really as many guys who buy a bunch of engine mods and later the brakes are quick to learn "wow, I should have bought the brakes first. Every time I stop I know right were my money went!" So true.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Sadly...brakes are always last in line. The product is just not as sexy I guess. Too bad really as many guys who buy a bunch of engine mods and later the brakes are quick to learn "wow, I should have bought the brakes first. Every time I stop I know right were my money went!" So true.
I did my brakes before pulley :D

Looking forward to ordering some of your larger rears when they need replacing :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I totally agree. Looking around though i'm not sure a BBK is really necessary on a Mini so will probably opt for a discs & pads upgrade when the time comes :) I have learnt from previous experience that this can be as good an upgrade as anyone will ever need & you don't need to spend £'000's on Brembo's

MAFFA

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Engine:17% pulley, GRS intercooler, manifold, cam, Tune & (if you have the cash) RMW head.

Price guide here: 1320MINI Product List - Mini Torque

I went a different route than above (but not finished yet), but that is the proven route. After using 1320MINI I've seen no need to spend money with anyone else, not a single complaint and a million praises.

Very much worth doing a health check and a base dyno as a starting point, most tuners miss this important step out. Whats the point in going ahead with a conversion on a car that is down on compression, boost, power or has an underlying problem? Tuning is only going making matters worse. Makes sense to check and sort it out if the need be first :)

I changed to Mintex 1144 pads, Grooved Discs & DOT5.1 fluid and the brakes are just about adequate for road use and the power. If you have the cash a 4 pot kit wouldn't do any harm!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts