MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really trying to figure out what is essential and what we think is essential but in fact isn't!

An example is auto lights- I thought they were useless before I had them standard on my A3- they have been very useful, especially in Switzerland's numerous tunnels.
But now i realise that paying extra for them might not be worth it- I mean it's only turning a switch on isn't- plus the wipers are far too sensitive too.
Which options would you consider useful?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Personally I can't live without climate control.

MINI do a visibility pack, which includes auto headlights, rain sensitive wipers, heated windscreen and auto dimming mirror. It's £220 which isn't too bad when you consider the price of the options seperatley!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Spec is a very personal thing, and everyone will have a different opinion on it ;)

There isn't really a must have option either - some would say aircon is a 'must have', but I didn't have it on my convertible, and never missed it ;)

Some folks spec cars for luxury and comfort, some spec them for looks, some for driver appeal, there is no right or wrong spec on a MINI ;)

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Auto dimming mirror is £105 and auto lights+ wipers come in at £85- Cheaper seperately?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Chili pack and MFSW are the two things that seem to be seen as the must have items on a car, then the rest is just personal choice as Jon said:)

But do remember that options don't retain value as well as the base car, so what you pay for them today won't give you huge resale value;)

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just don't know wether to add auto lights- i am used to them now and would I be able to live without them on the mini! Doopy has already been ordered with the pepper pack which was sufficient for me- but I need to make my mind up quickly before they start building it!!

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Only option essential on a MINI is a Chilli pack.
Although the items aren't "essentials" it helps resale values.

I would say if a car came without something that was "essential" it wouldn't be road worthy :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sony
I've got auto headlights and wipers on my Cooper and wouldn't live without them. They just make life easier and if you've had them before then it's harder to not have them.
With regard to "sensitivity", you can alter the wipers thro' the set up computer and have them at different settings dependant on which key is used (two keys supplied with Chili pack).

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
Multi Function Steering Wheel seems to be the most-mentioned "must have" on it's own ... it comes with cruise control. And puts your music controls at your fingertips.

Other than that, I'd also add heated seats, but that's because i live in the frozen north. :p

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
When I specced my ONE back in 06 I chose things that I wished my cherished MINI had got...rear spoiler and MFSW, I also upgraded to the Pepper pack.

Then when speccing the Dooper, I chose things again I wished the ONE had got, so went for Xenons, Climate control and nav, that car is probably one of the highest spec Doopers going about!!

Speccin' the S was easy, same again please :D

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
My personal essentials on my Cooper S were a Chili-pack for the Aircon and Xenon Lights, and full leather as cloth seats and dogs really don't mix well.

I do feel the Chil-pack is the minimum when buying a higher spec car like a Cooper S to enhance desirability when re-sale time comes if nothing else. To my mind the sort of person wanting and budgeting for a used Cooper S will want the extra's in the pack.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went for looks/ handling so I got the works bodykit and seats(although these are expensive),chilli pack,darkened glass,LSD,chrome line interior.I did not bother with things like climate control,auto wipers,multifunction steering wheel(personally I dont like the look of it ) because I wanted to keep the cost down and could live without those expensive luxurys.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Definately go for the heated windscreen especially if it doesn't go in the garage. Once you've had it, you'll want it for ever. Also a sport button would be nice, but it depends on your feelings towards blank switches. A chili pack is a must though.

·
* Lab Rat *
411 Posts
I'm picking up my new S on Monday.

Added the basic bluetooth as I wanted the USB port for MP3 music :) Also Chilli pack has always been a must as value for money, and helping with the resale value as others have mentioned.

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
Having just picked mine up, i am *very* glad i specced the MFSW - it's a godsend!

I was a little disappointed when i realised keeping the standard interior trim meant i have dark -coloured doors, the test cars i have been in must have had an optional trim. But it's growing on me and i have a sunroof so the inside is not at all dark.

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just have the pepper pack and MFSW as cruise control was essential for me- I just still can't make my mind up on speccing the visibility pack-
Is it not too late anyway as Doopy is being built on the week starting 18th August?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I just have the pepper pack and MFSW as cruise control was essential for me- I just still can't make my mind up on speccing the visibility pack-
Is it not too late anyway as Doopy is being built on the week starting 18th August?
Go for it. I have it on mine and its brilliant. If you don't put it in the garage or leave it parked all day, its worth having. You get to see the look on people's faces when they are faffing round with deicer and a scraper, meanwhile you're sat down, doing nothing and your screen is safe from scratches and clear with in 30-60seconds. For £220 its definitely worth having, just remember to tell your insurers it has a heated windscreen. I certainly wouldn't be without it, plus it gets rid of a blank switch, and gives you auto lights and wipers. Not necessary, but they can be useful at times.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts