MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i am thinking of getting the AMD oneclick with the AMD 15% pulley kit......

does anyone know is there any major difference between AMD and Alta pulley kit?

·
Registered
511 Posts
yeah, the ALTA one is a quality item whereas the AMD is [email protected] It's really quite simple to distinguish between the two after all :) See the AMD pulley next to an ALTA pulley and if you know anything about material properties, you will see the ALTA is alot better.

Henry

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where can I buy and Alta pulley in the UK?

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
gday

can someone actually explain why the AmD pulley is "[email protected]" .. ??

I am planning on doing AmD stage 1 shortly and i was just going to use the standard AmD Pulley. i read up on alta .. it looks good.. but how can one pulley be so different from another?

Thanks

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
I'm interested to know why the AmD pulley is crap too. I'll acknowledge that the Alta is better, multiple piece, shaft guide etc etc, but I've seen AmD pulleys, I've seen them get installed, and I know people that have them, and I can't see why you'd call them crap?

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
i just stopped by AMG in rushcutters bay (alta distributor) and they had a Pulley there..

holding it in your hands, you can tell its good quality.. i wanted to buy it but had to restrain myself:p bought one of those silly mini antennas instead :)

Back on topic, I can see why it is a good pulley... but more specifically.. WHY is the AmD pulley not as good?

so maybe i should get an Alta Pulley (RRP AUS$382) with the AmD software?

thoughts? tim?

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
i guess it does... but i'd really like to find out what feature the AmD pulley lacks..

I dont think it could be anything too bad..

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
it is an all aluminum, press on style, whereas the P&D (Helx and Promni) and Alta are stainless steel clamp on.

there is the potential for the aluminum to lose its grip on the blower shaft when it heats up due to the larger expansion coefficient of Al compared to steel or stainless steel.

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
jlm said:
it is an all aluminum, press on style, whereas the P&D (Helx and Promni) and Alta are stainless steel clamp on.

there is the potential for the aluminum to lose its grip on the blower shaft when it heats up due to the larger expansion coefficient of Al compared to steel or stainless steel.
That is good information. I was going to upgrade to the 15% AMD when my warranty expire. I will be using other brands of pulley after this.

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
mm i agree.. im very glad someone could at least explain why they thought the alta was the best..

think i'll be going the same road

thanks again :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
and what of the older version of the P&D pulley jlm. I still like it. and the guy who made it ;)

·
Un-Banned
1,999 Posts
I've got Alta 19%. Its very good just make sure you get shortened Gator belt.
I am waiting though for the M7 pulley which 'apparently' dissipates alot more heat than others.
Dont know about AMD being "crap" though. They are a very good company so I find it hard to believe.

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
enzothemaddog said:
I've got Alta 19%. Its very good just make sure you get shortened Gator belt.
I am waiting though for the M7 pulley which 'apparently' dissipates alot more heat than others.
Dont know about AMD being "crap" though. They are a very good company so I find it hard to believe.
Likewise, i do not think they are bad and i will definately go to them for my "upgrading". But with regards to the pulley, Alta's materials seems better. However, does Alta's pulley need a specific pulley installer (if thats the correct word for the instrument) ?

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
The_Bster said:
Likewise, i do not think they are bad and i will definately go to them for my "upgrading". But with regards to the pulley, Alta's materials seems better. However, does Alta's pulley need a specific pulley installer (if thats the correct word for the instrument) ?
Nothing special needed to install the pulley itself. It and some others self center so alignment isn't a problem.

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
obehave said:
Nothing special needed to install the pulley itself. It and some others self center so alignment isn't a problem.
Thanks Obe! 15% pulley coupled with GRS intercooler in 3 years time then!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts