MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
I'm interested to know why the AmD pulley is crap too. I'll acknowledge that the Alta is better, multiple piece, shaft guide etc etc, but I've seen AmD pulleys, I've seen them get installed, and I know people that have them, and I can't see why you'd call them crap?

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
i just stopped by AMG in rushcutters bay (alta distributor) and they had a Pulley there..

holding it in your hands, you can tell its good quality.. i wanted to buy it but had to restrain myself:p bought one of those silly mini antennas instead :)

Back on topic, I can see why it is a good pulley... but more specifically.. WHY is the AmD pulley not as good?

so maybe i should get an Alta Pulley (RRP AUS$382) with the AmD software?

thoughts? tim?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
it is an all aluminum, press on style, whereas the P&D (Helx and Promni) and Alta are stainless steel clamp on.

there is the potential for the aluminum to lose its grip on the blower shaft when it heats up due to the larger expansion coefficient of Al compared to steel or stainless steel.

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
jlm said:
it is an all aluminum, press on style, whereas the P&D (Helx and Promni) and Alta are stainless steel clamp on.

there is the potential for the aluminum to lose its grip on the blower shaft when it heats up due to the larger expansion coefficient of Al compared to steel or stainless steel.
That is good information. I was going to upgrade to the 15% AMD when my warranty expire. I will be using other brands of pulley after this.

·
Un-Banned
1,999 Posts
I've got Alta 19%. Its very good just make sure you get shortened Gator belt.
I am waiting though for the M7 pulley which 'apparently' dissipates alot more heat than others.
Dont know about AMD being "crap" though. They are a very good company so I find it hard to believe.

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
enzothemaddog said:
I've got Alta 19%. Its very good just make sure you get shortened Gator belt.
I am waiting though for the M7 pulley which 'apparently' dissipates alot more heat than others.
Dont know about AMD being "crap" though. They are a very good company so I find it hard to believe.
Likewise, i do not think they are bad and i will definately go to them for my "upgrading". But with regards to the pulley, Alta's materials seems better. However, does Alta's pulley need a specific pulley installer (if thats the correct word for the instrument) ?

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
The_Bster said:
Likewise, i do not think they are bad and i will definately go to them for my "upgrading". But with regards to the pulley, Alta's materials seems better. However, does Alta's pulley need a specific pulley installer (if thats the correct word for the instrument) ?
Nothing special needed to install the pulley itself. It and some others self center so alignment isn't a problem.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.