MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Need4Speed
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize the obvious answer would be Red Line MTL however...

Turner Motorsport's website says BMW recommends ATF in all manual transmissions produced after 1/1995 under Red Line D4 ATF.

I sent an online request to Red Line and they replied with Red Line D6 ATF.

To add to the confusion.

From Red Line's website about the Mini Power Pack...
Includes 5 quarts of 5W30 motor oil, 2 quarts of MTL for the transaxle, 1 bottle of SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner, a sticker kit, and a Red Line Oil embroidered hat.
So, now I'm curious to what others have used with the factory limited slip and to what effect.

Anyone?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use what MINI spec's for the tranny with a LSD. I'd be afraid of screwing up the LSD by using an oil that doesn't meet proper spec's. What is the reason you want to switch to Redline?

·
Need4Speed
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read and heard from too many people who claim much smoother shifting with Red Line products.

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
Do you have the updated oil that they started using in the LSD equipped MINI's late in 2005 - it was due to complains from customers regarding a grinding noise when turning on almost full lock.

I have a March 05 build with LSD and had the oil changed by the dealership for free (as it's a service bulletin), very quiet LSD, very smooth changes.

I'd be concerned about running a non spec oil in the instance of any problems that require a warranty fix.

Cheers, Geoff.

·
Need4Speed
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, I didn't know anything about the new oil :confused:

My car is a Jan '05 build ... one of the very 1st OEM limited slips as I actually had to wait over 6 months for production since I was waiting for the LSD.

There's no local Mini dealer and the car is no longer under warranty, so I guess I'm hosed on the free upgrade :(

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
I'd give it a shot - never know your luck re a goodwill gesture, you aren't that far out of warranty..

Even if they just supplied the oil and you did the labour...

I thought the US had a 4 year warranty on new MINI's?

·
Need4Speed
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No much chance with the nearest Mini dealer (2 hours away) but I could give 'em a bell.

50,000 miles ... at 56,000 plus now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts