MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me :redface:, i don't mean to repeat a question which has been asked before but its just that from reading previous threads regarding this topic, no one seems to give a definative answer.:frown:

I am thinking of replacing the paper filter on my JCW mini (210) and am unsure on alternatives :confused:. I am thinking of the GTT/JCW hybrid as i want to keep the existing box. However i have read some have gone for the ITG filters so i am in two minds :confused:.

Previous threads have had comments from people who are about to fit either of these :)but unfortunately they have not come back to discuss their experience of these. I am appealing to you guys, what do think?

Also, i have removed the 'flap' from the box and also the plastic bottom plug. While i find the removal of the latter to be slightly beneficial :)i find that removing the 'flap' is not to my liking. I find there is slightly less oomph at the top of the rev range :frown: and personally i quite enjoy waiting for the scream of the supercharger to come :) and so the flap remains but the bottom bung removed. With either of these filters can i leave the flap on?.

Any advice greatly appreciated :D

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Welcome to MINI2 ...

The GTT/JCW filter requires drilling holes in the air box to anchor the plugs attached to the springs which hold the filter in place:
Both these filters work with the flap on/off and the bung in/out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that :cool:, so both options are open to me.

So the question still remains, which to go for???

As per my 1st post, what are peoples experience of these two? do they make a difference over the paper JCW filter? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Helix, Amsoil, K&N, all make JCW filter replacements. Have read that the oem paper filter does not flow as well as the aftermarkets. I still have the oem filter but will replace it with the Amsoil filter when due.

·
Registered
15 Posts
itg for me. changed the intake sound to a deeper tone but thats all.no more power or anything. it was also half the price of the oem paper one.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Would be interesting to see the differences in the actual filtering capabilities of the different filters - yes the ITG (or other) filters may flow more air but do they still filter out all the crap so that it doesnt go into the engine...???

Or is that over cautious?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Would be interesting to see the differences in the actual filtering capabilities of the different filters - yes the ITG (or other) filters may flow more air but do they still filter out all the crap so that it doesnt go into the engine...???

Or is that over cautious?
ITG is used by rally teams, touring car teams so it must be ok. If your keen, put i little blob of clean clear gease on clean side of filter intake pipe and check it after a period of time is the only way to find out. Going to try this when I take my ITG off.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
It just seems odd that they fitted the paper element - why didnt they do a deal with ITG (for example) and use their filter which flows more and is cheaper??? Longevity?

(Im still going to get the ITG filter it just bugs me these little things...)

·
Absolut MINI
732 Posts
Nothing wrong with the paper IMO.
What do you hope to gain from an aftermarket filter ?
Base on my own experience:
More sound ? Probably.
More power ? Hardly.
Worth the cost ? No.

...but then again - I don't drive a rally car built with rally designed parts only, and an optimized engine barely within the limits of what it can handle ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts