MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Rubber MINI
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some Aussie experience here.

Been shopping around for some Christmas gifts :cool: to pamper my MINI with and was wondering about the stubby antenna. Has anybody put these on their MINI's; does it improve reception, which is the best?

I've seen a bit about the Alta, anybody have any suggestions/input?

Thanks all,
Steve

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Alot of the Aussie guys and gals have alta...

It does make reception slightly better from what I remember reading, someone who has one will answer the questions better than I can...

Check out www.altaminiperformance.com for one ofo the most reasonable prices around. - about $30US

Todd

·
MCSJCW
1,667 Posts
HI

My alta cost me $60 from AMG in Sydney. The reception is still good, and it looks better than the original (sorry everyone else :p)

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
i got one 2 weeks ago (alta stubby)
i wouldn't say it improves the reception.. it is about the same as the stock one...
looking back.. think i kinda would have prefered to spent the money elsewhere.. like towards a different mod.. that my opinion though
good luck:)

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
:
Click on these thumbnails for larger versions. ;)

Mine cost me precisely $0.00. Reception is no better or worse, but maybe Canberra is more forgiving than Sydney with its high rise buildings and so on? Mine is from the Mercedes parts bin and was sourced through a friend who has connections with a Mercedes dealer in Melbourne.

There may be some better pictures in HERE if you can @rsed looking.

Oh I had a different stubby on my old GTI too. Click HERE for a sample. That one was free too! I got it included in a package deal with a set of pedals I bought off the same guy. But from memory they're only around $25 anyway.

Let me know if you're interested in finding out some more info.

:indi:

Cheers Liam

·
MCSJCW
1,667 Posts
I didn't say it improved reception, just the look of the car. I bent the original a little from putting a car cover on, so I thought what the hell, and got it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
bkwalker said:
i got one 2 weeks ago (alta stubby)
i wouldn't say it improves the reception.. it is about the same as the stock one...
looking back.. think i kinda would have prefered to spent the money elsewhere.. like towards a different mod.. that my opinion though
good luck:)
I had my pulley fitted by Superior Automotive at Mona Vale (Basset Street)-they did a great job and they are used to working on track cars so they have the knowledge.

·
Rubber MINI
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the responses. I usually listen to the more off-beat stations which tend to have patchy reception so I thought replacing the antenna might improve it. Not really that important as I hardly listen to the radio (too busy wringing the SC :D ) anyway.

I like the look of the stubby but I really don't mind the OEM either. Might save my money for the ALTA pulley & intake, which is why this idea popped up in the first place. (Even more reason to turn the stereo off! :cool: )

ks_cooper:
I think i've read that AMG are distributing ALTA stuff in Sydney, do they have a web address or other contact details?

minigolf; your car looks great and I like the stubby, that one might be just a little too short for my liking. :rolleyes:

·
Rubber MINI
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Red&blackS said:
Just get it from Alta in the US, much cheaper!!

www.altaminiperformance.com

Todd

Much appreciated minigolf.

Thanks Todd - I agree - with our improving Aussie Dollar, we should be able to make good savings. Plus there's a lot more places to choose from.

Anyone else who's interested; check out - JSC Speed. They have some of the cheapest prices i've seen so far (US$105 for ALTA pulley) -

http://www.jscspeed.com/

Steve

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Yeah, I ahve been watching them for a while... they have US$29 arials...

Todd

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
I think I'll part with my Alta stub soon - just found some 3cm long ones from the US for about 1/3 of what my Alta set me back! I might even do a group-buy :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I saw the headline "which stubby" saw it was a bit of a Aussie connection, and was going to add VB, (victoria bitter) STUNNING lager in a frosted glass. :)

·
Rubber MINI
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL - I knew someone would bring this up... had to be a pom :p

New Aussie invention: "The Keg Aerial", improves reception, aerodynamics & street appeal :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.