MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay basically there was no normal petrol today and i was running on air so i put in some super unleaded and im sure its giving me more mpg and it seems quicker which is understandable seing as it costs more but do you think its worth it, i usually use atleast £15 of petrol a day with a really poor mpg (love to rag my car) does it really make a difference though or am i just imagining things? seing as this is the first time ive filled up with it i wasnt expecting it to be any different but im sure it was, what brand is the best to get if it matters?

thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
theres no shell near me is esso any good or bp? i used to just stick anything in didnt really think it made a difference so i wasnt bothered but i agree its like 5p a litre more there is no reason why not to it actually makes a noticable difference to mpg when you rag it and i rag it non stop haha

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I usually use super, but I'm not feeling so frivilous at the moment, so its currently in receipt of some esso special! However, super really does make a difference, and when I return to feeling frivilous I'll use it!

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
theres no shell near me is esso any good or bp? i used to just stick anything in didnt really think it made a difference so i wasnt bothered but i agree its like 5p a litre more there is no reason why not to it actually makes a noticable difference to mpg when you rag it and i rag it non stop haha
i dont really rate the BP stuff tbf, ithink the tesco 99 is better

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i cant get the tesco pumps to work for me haha, is the higher ron number the better? the super stuff i put in is 97?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Higher octane = better.

If you can get your hands on race petrol thats truly mental! Not that I've ever ran mine on that...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unless the Mini One is programmed to take advantage of Super (which I doubt) then you will get no benefit from Super over value unleaded, and you are wasting your money. Anyone who tells you different is kidding themselves and suffering from Super unleaded placebo affect.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Unless the Mini One is programmed to take advantage of Super (which I doubt) then you will get no benefit from Super over value unleaded, and you are wasting your money. Anyone who tells you different is kidding themselves and suffering from Super unleaded placebo affect.
The one, like all minis, has a variable ECU which adapts to the fuel used ;) Therefore it really isn't placebo

Also super is better at cleaning your engine, so once in a while it does all cars good

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
i echo what M.O.S said, MINIs have variable ECU's so just like it adapts the air/fuel ration in different weather, the way it changes to the way you drive, it also changes to the amount of 'bang' the fuel gives.

as super gives a bigger bang, it puts less fuel in the cylinder to create the same bang as regular fuel. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Don't know for sure about the UK, but here the highest octane fuel from the same vendor generally has the same detergent pack as the lowest octane fuel. Both have the same energy per ml. The higher octane is the only difference. It reduces the tendency of some engines for pre-ignition (generally occurring in higher compression or forced induction engines). Nothing more, nothing less.

I have no idea what fuel BMW recommends for a One. Heck, they don't even sell them here. If BMW recommends higher octane fuel, the car needs it to avoid pre-ignition. The ECU can retard timing to help with this as well, but this reduces power and efficiency. If they don't recommend higher octane fuel for a One, then the car will almost for sure not benefit by using it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
humn, interesting thread, never considered the super fuel but the benefits seems that is a good advantage. As I drive around 1000 a month on work commute alone I will definitely give it a try now :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
mini_m
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing