MINI Cooper Forum banner

Silver or Black?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I got a bit of cash today from my birthday ;) I am looking out at splashing out on a new set of wheels for my next Mini planned in September.

I am completely stuck on which colour to choose :confused: I already have silver BK299's on my current Mini and Im considering changing to black next time (as they are a pain to clean) but not sure if black looks as good?

What are your guys thoughts? Silver or black?

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Personally for me silver!

when you have black wheels you have to keep your tyres absolutely immaculate, and dressed all the time, otherwise it will look a bit naff

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
With black wheels you have to do your tyres all the time as mark said.
Matt black you could maybe get away with not doing it as often.

Silver would be nice, have you considered a hyperblack wheel? really shiny but darker than silver?

My wheels are hyperblack, that colour may look well on your car as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh right, well was thinking whether the chrome lip around the wheel would break it up from the tyre? Also I thought they would go well with the black bonnet stripes and black roof. The silver's do look very nice though but like I said, what a pain in the arse they are to clean

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Ah right, yes silver lip definately makes the difference. A bit of a dish and a lip really makes the different as the black wheel isnt right up against the tyre.

What wheels are you thinking of at the moment??

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the BK299's again. I think chrome would look gay on a red car. I think I will be tempted to opt for the dark silver. I'm so fussy haha

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
the BK299's again. I think chrome would look gay on a red car. I think I will be tempted to opt for the dark silver. I'm so fussy haha
Chrome lip would look good if the main bit of the wheel would be darker.

I would say, silver wheels hyperblack(like mine) or matt black would be best or anthracite.

Possibly anthracite?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha that's how exactly I want it to look but I'd be after the Dooper. I think the black wheels makes the car stand out more and makes it look more like a motorsport car...

Looks like it needs a lot of care and attention with the tyre gel like Mark mentioned. Worthwhile tho :p

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
You know what you could do - get silver ones, not clean them for a bit (that spray on tyre shine causes dust to stick badly) see what you think and then clean them off. Don't leave the dust on for long though - you may stain your wheels.

Again, this is the problem with Minis, there is no right or wrong answers. Minis are as much of a personal statement as they are a car. Go for what you want!

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Yes there is. The right answer is black.

Rusty

;)

What if you don't like black wheels? Of course if you ever kerb your wheels, silver ones look better!:D Its all down to personal choice - like does chilli red look better with a white or black roof? I personally think white, but some think black. Both colours look good, and ok with some use, the black will look better (brakedust won't show up between washes:angry:), but black wheels may look a bit silly on a mini:confused:. Ok the JCW ones exist, but I'm not convinced. However, the two tone JCW split rims are very nice:wink:.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts