MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Having Too Much Fun
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all!
I just took the first trip in my '04 MC40 and noticed something odd. At right around 80mph I get a whistle that almost sounds like warning tone. I thought it was the radio, but shut it off and it was still there. It's very high pitched and irritating, although not very loud. If I slow down to 78mph it goes away, above 80mph it's fairly consistent.

Any Ideas?

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Double post to add, my car doesnt exhibit this noise at speed....

Your car looks absolutely fabulous by the way :D Hopefully we'll see some more pics from you soon! :D

·
Ding Dang Do !
330 Posts
i also had this with my mcs, it turned out there was a gromit missing under the bonnet which was supposed to plug a hole wich when air passed through it at above 65mph began to whistle

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is it coming from one of the windows?

I had a whistling noise that happened above 80mph on the drivers side window. The glass needed adjusting up and in towards the car.

·
Having Too Much Fun
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, my friends. These are all good tips I wil investigate on my next 80+ MPH ride. ;)

It sounded to me like it was coming from the dash area. I didn't stick my ear to the passenger side window (yet). That will be next.

·
Big girl's blouse
4,783 Posts
I get the whistle too at about 75 MPH - it's on the passenger side (car is LHD), but have so far been unable to locate it and MAKE IT STOP!!!!! It's fecking irritatiing. :mad:

Cheers,
Sprydle

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I have the same problem at speed, sounds like a whistling noise, could it be the heater/cooler system, when we direct the air away from a certain air vent. It sounds as if its coming from the lhs passenger air vent in mine, even when its open

·
Registered
336 Posts
Chihuahua Mini Man said:
HI all!
I just took the first trip in my '04 MC40 and noticed something odd. At right around 80mph I get a whistle that almost sounds like warning tone. I thought it was the radio, but shut it off and it was still there. It's very high pitched and irritating, although not very loud. If I slow down to 78mph it goes away, above 80mph it's fairly consistent.

Any Ideas?
I find the whining goes away if you tell her she can have a new outfit and some shoes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Seriously:

Check the A pillar covers?

Also check the windows are up, and maybe close the aircon feed to the glovebox?

Have you given all the seals a good visual inspection?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also noticed a whining sound with high speeds early spring morning after few weeks with my new MCS. Didn't find any reason until sunny and warm afternoon, when the rubber stripe on top of the windscreen was partly laying on the windscreen.

It was replaced and hopefully glued better...still looks a bit "loose"...

Chihuahua Mini Man said:
HI all!

Any Ideas?

·
A mini is a way of life.
2,643 Posts
i had a whining noise when i went over 70mph. it was the wife tell me off for going over the speed limit ;) now i leave her home :D problem sorted :p :D ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem.. horrible high pitch noise at 80.. drop down to70 nothing. I thought it might be air getting into a compartment so taped it up.. noise still there. It's so annoying.. any ideas. Coming from behind the steering wheel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts