MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this from my local newspaper

Unsuspecting motorists are being targeted in what is believed to be an elaborate insurance scam.

Drivers are facing claims of thousands of pounds for whiplash injuries following accidents which allegedly were "engineered".

The major fraud alert has been sparked by revelations, which follow a Keighley News story a fortnight ago, that several identical incidents have occurred at the same spot in Crossflatts.

Now a dossier of evidence is being presented to insurance companies and a police investigation could follow.

Keighley News inquiries have shown that such incidents are also occurring in other parts of the county and further afield. Bradford South police are currently investigating two complaints about suspicious road accidents in their area.

The KN reported last month on how a 21-year-old motorist was driving along the stretch of road between the Magnet roundabout, at Crossflatts, and the roundabout at the start of the Bingley relief road, when a vehicle pulled out in front of him from a roadside parking area.

The vehicle twice inexplicably stopped and the second time there was contact between the two cars. There was no damage to the vehicles and no injuries to anyone.

But now -- several months after the incident -- the young motorist has received a claim for damages from the other driver and a passenger for alleged whiplash injuries. His father is convinced the accident was deliberately engineered and vows the claim will be contested.

And following an appeal for other people with similar experiences to come forward, he has received letters from six motorists.

He said: "All have been involved in the same type of situation at that location and have subsequently received injury claims against them.

"My own inquiries suggested it may not have been the first time this had happened and these letters support that.

"I am sending copies of all the correspondence to my insurance company, and with the knowledge they have, others will be able to take it up with their own insurers. I'm grateful to everyone who contacted me and I would still like to hear from anybody else who has had such an experience."

He asks anyone involved in a similar incident to write to him -- including as much detail as possible about the accident -- to PO Box 351, Keighley BD20 5WY.

Denise Raven, for the AA in Yorkshire, said making a fraudulent insurance claim was a criminal offence and police action could be taken against suspected offenders.

She said: "There is always going to be someone unscrupulous enough to try to obtain money by making a false claim, and it is a matter which is taken extremely seriously by insurance companies. If you suspect fraud you should pass on all the information you have to your own insurer, who can then call in the police.

"If you are involved in an accident and have any suspicions try to get as much information as you can from the other party, and do not assume they won't make a claim. Ideally, try to find an independent witness who can corroborate what happened and if you have access to a camera take photos."

Det Chief Insp Terry Long, of Keighley police, said that if information was presented to them suggesting a pattern of fraudulent claims, the matter would be looked at.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Interesting....... when someone bumped into the back of me, my insurance company asked if anyone was injured and when we told them no..... they specifically asked if the police had been called to the scene and then asked us to confirm as that was not the case (no Police) then no injuries would be noted on the claim form.... and that included any sore neck, shoulders etc. which led me to understand that would rule me out of making any further claim for the future..... Not that I would anyway unless I had been hurt... whats the point, only puts every bodys insurance up in the long run ;) :p

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
The cheating git motorist probably has a friendly doctor and solicitor who also benefit from the scam.

In London , my Pakistani friend tells me that a load of his compatriots are engineering massive VAT scams and they're all driving around in 911's. :eek: :mad:

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what this story doesn't say but what was covered last week was that the car that caused the 'crash' was then observed turning aound & driving back to where it had come from, presumably to repeat the exercise with their next victim

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Scams like that are fairly prevalent over here, apparently. There was even an ad from an insurance company on tv detailing what happens and how it works.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
dietcokeplease said:
The cheating git motorist probably has a friendly doctor and solicitor who also benefit from the scam.

In London , my Pakistani friend tells me that a load of his compatriots are engineering massive VAT scams and they're all driving around in 911's. :eek: :mad:
How does that work then ??

·
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
7,669 Posts
It's been going on in N Ireland herew for years cos the Claims always tended to be hight that the rest of the UK ( summat to do with legal system/ courts blaa blaa)
The have be cases of families / friends packing into a car and rear ending with a hire car, and all the passengers making injury claims against the hire car insurance. :rolleyes:

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
J1JPE said:
How does that work then ??
The doctor says that they are badly hurt. Then when the insurance adjusters checks the medical charts, they are inclined to offer a larger settlement, especially if it appears the injured person will be in pain and in need of treatment for a long period of time. The doctor probably gets a percentage of the settlement, so the worse he makes it look, the more money they all get.

·
my ponies have escaped!!!
4,955 Posts
As i work for a firm of solicitors this is typical claim material.

Also people who reverse into you are claiming whiplash and should you have no other witnesses to back your story up and the guy in front has at least a couple of crooks your in the dung!

Nowadays solicitors have to buy cases and this means if you have had an accident and someone with a clip board knocks on your door or stops you in the street, to them you are at the very least worth £300- £1250 to them.

They will then take rough details from you and "sell" you to a firm of solicitors. They generally charge a solicitor between the figures quoted above. This will then be the burden of the solicitor to recover from the other side.

As you know not only is it of great benefit to fraudulently make a claim it is also of equal benefit to witness one!!

Most of the accidents see/hear about involve a Nissan/Toyota, no doubt bought for £50 from Loot the night before and pocketing the occupants £2000 each in compensation.

Riding up someones assss is not advised if they slam on ....your trucked!

Happy days and safe driving

my invoice will be sent in the post :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts