MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to a mk2 Cooper S and have had nothing but problems! It’s had a full engine rebuild and then a module in the footwell went. Now I’m getting a whirring sound from 20mph+ from the front end. It’s not a bearing noise and the sound stays pretty constant throughout. Has anyone had anything similar / have any idea what it could be?

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
565 Posts
If you don't have a code for it then you might have to run it until it breaks. I would check for vacuum leaks. I would pull the Vacuum pump and look at the amount of play it has on the gear that meshes with the exhaust cam to begin with.
That Vacuum pump can do un told amounts of damage to your car in a milla second. And if that is whirring it would mean that the impeller gear that creates vacuum is scoring the vacuum pump housing. Due to lack of oil or just damage of some sort.
After that I would just run it if there is no code and I could not pin point the problem because it would more than likely break itself and not take the whole engine out!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do not follow the above "advice" to "run it until it beaks".

If it only happens above 20mph, not when stationary, then it points to something in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
532 Posts
if in any gear or coasting it's probably drivetrain as above, check the gearbox oil level and for play in bearings anyway, does it change with load or direction?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if in any gear or coasting it's probably drivetrain as above, check the gearbox oil level and for play in bearings anyway, does it change with load or direction?
So yes, it happens in any gear and when coasting. It’s not a wheel bearing sound, nor is there any play in them. And it doesn’t change with load or direction. It’s a tough one to diagnose.

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
565 Posts
I remember it was making a weird noise one time in my mini cooper. What it was is the lower turbocharger hose attached to the plastic piece. That goes to the other turbo hose(all cool side hoses)that connects to the throttle body. The band clamp on that lower hose the bolt thread for my band clamp because I use turbo charger hose clamps in that area as I have a aftermarket intercooler. The bolt was rubbing on the serpentine belt.
Either way One of the advantages of the R56 is what they call the Radiator service support position. Allowing one to extend the front end critical inches to access hard to reach problems and also more room for a fresh set of eye's on it.
The Front bumper of the car and the inner fender wells are flimsy and if not properly tightened down can rub all over everything. I would put it in radiator service support mode. Hunt the problem from there. Start it up if I have to like that.
Erase the fog light, head light codes once I was done. Have it on four jackstands and carefully drive it to 20+ miles per hour!

·
Registered
532 Posts
can you hear it with the front in the air on stands? or one side jacked up at a time?

if not, maybe rotate tyres front to rear and see if it changes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts