MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a very recent mini newbie having only done 250 miles in my new mini one...
I absolutely LOVE it however it has had a couple of issues.
Firstly after collecting from the dealership, I opened the bonnet at home to find the air intake pipe NOT connected (ie the pipe that directs cool air to the engine was flailing around) after a motorway trip!! I was horrified! Clicked it in and shouted at the dealer on the phone.
The reason I had opened the bonnet was at idle and driving (not accelerating) there is a loud sqealing/whining coming from the engine at the front right.
After connecting the pipe I had another day of happy motoring, but with the noise driving me insane!
To some, it is not that bad but to me it is LOUD. When you pull up at the lights and there is a car next to you the sound bounces off and is a proper squeal.

At first I thought hmm maybe a fan belt (it sounds like an old car with a slipping fanbelt), then maybe the alternator belt as it stops when accelerating.

I took it into my closest dealer, they had it for a long time, and came back saying book it in for an overnight tuesday we need to hear it cold start (fyi its very loud on cold start). He had suggested the alternator poly v belt and the pump. The paper the service woman had said PUMA - PARTS MAY SOLVE NOISE. She said it was a suspected water pump?

Anyone else had this noise? Or needed a new pump on a brand new car? or indeed had one and had it solve the noise?

Also, how quiet should the engine be in a one at idle? Mine sounds very tappety? Revs smoothly though.

Hope someone has some insight!

Cheers,:puzzled:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
water pump

Not that anyone replied (?!) but I have found out today that my 8 day old mini needs a new water pump.:aargh: Its been on the road only 5 and a half days since I got it...

Is this normal!!?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I don't know if mine is the same but I am concerned that my new 2008 Cooper Clubman automatic is having what sounds like the same issue. I have had the car since 4/28 and driven about 600 miles or so. Since the weather has finally been great here in NY state, I've been driving with my windows rolled down. While on the highway, I now hear a high pitched whistling sound...coming from the right side of the car...I can hear it even if the window is only down a few inches...and even while I am listening to a news program on the radio. I can also hear it while driving very slowly - 20mph - and it is more pronounced when it is being reflected back to me by a parked car, etc. But to hear it at high speeds seems especially remarkable.

Called my SA today, but didn't hear back - which was rather disappointing.

Now after reading this thread, I'm more concerned. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
water pump issue

minionnblue, if you still read this board, and others apparently this is not such an uncommon "issue". Read this thread on NEMINI for some extremely detailed info by Partsman: High pitched, whining sound from the engine - audible at all speeds?! Unfortunately it sure sounds, no pun intended, as though this is what's ailing my new Clubman. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello there! Well yes my mini had a new water pump and yes the noise was gone and they even switched on a load of other minis for me to listen to. But 1 week on it is back just as before, I am hoping it will "wear off" as it sounds like a belt or something and is certainly more intermittent now than before. I had too much hassle so I am not taking it back but I do have a case number with mini in case anything happens in the future, but for now I need to see if it will go on its own.

I am (althought it isn't good!) happy to hear other people having the same issue as I was told it was a normal mini engine noise!!

:redface:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P.s to test if it's the same noise It's loud whilst driving but if you depress the clutch it goes quieter then bring the clutch back up and it squeals again?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Just got back from having "them" check out the Clubman...and they say it is "normal" engine noise for the R56 and R55. I asked if I could have my old MC back but they'd sold it the day before:p - didn't want to know how much they'd sold it for!

So this is all rather interesting since - you've just posted again (and thanks for checking back in) and what I've been told. I am going to keep the faith and hope that nothing unpleasant happens...and I guess I'm going to have to learn to ignore it, turn the radio up loader or keep that right hand side window closed.:hmph:

I don't have a standard shift so I can't do the clutch thing... We'll have to keep each other and "our readers" posted... I'm going to check back in with Partsman for his off the record opinion.:wink:

Enjoy your MINI, minioneblue and let's hope for a lessening of whine or a hearing loss?;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mini Water Pump

I had the same issue but only on idle and when warm. fault was water pump R57 6000 miles. changed no bother since.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Interesting - hope you weren't caught someplace in the middle of nowhere when it went!

Mine is still doing it. Unfortunately, I was not able to go for a test drive with one of the mechanics but eventually I am going to request this because I just find it very difficult to believe that everyone with a 2nd Generation MINI has to hear this if they just want to drive around with their windows down and hear the natural sounds of wind, nature or...even the news.

We shall see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had exactly the same problem on my R56 3500 miles. It sounded like a fan belt related noise when idle and warm.
My dealer changed the water pump, and touch wood, no similar noises since.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Unfortunately (if it is indeed my water pump) my dealership says "it's normal". I guess I will have to arrange to take a test drive...as I mentioned above.

Appreciate your posting, Paulro and glad you don't have to listen to it anymore!;)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Gee, sorry, I didn't update my last post on this thread, I must have forgotten that I'd posted here.:eek:

My particular "whistling" was strictly due to a faulty fit on the passenger's side mirror cap and after proving this to my SA, they fixed it. Small thing but a huge difference in enjoyment of the Clubman.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts