MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Last night I spent ages washing and then polishing my new mini (well new for me but its an 03) I polished it for the first time and then it started raining! two hours I spent cleaning it! typical!

When I left for work today I noticed that some of the polish had smeared on the paintwork and there was also some of it on the black trim around the tyres, obv where it had rained.

I just spent my lunch brake buffing the paintwork and I used some wipes which can be used to clean the inside and outside of the car on the black bumper, trim bits.

It seemed to get the white stuff off but if later on when I go out the it has dried with the white marks back has anyone got some advice?

I want to buy some black stuff to keep the trim looking nice and black as well.

I have a silver mini with a black roof, also just noticed a very very long scratch but also a thin scratch all the way down the black roof. Will t-cut be okay to use on the mini? I'm not sure what to do! please help!

I'm new to all this mini care can you tell?!

Thankyou!

Vicki :smile:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooh that's the stuff I used on it last night!

Even though I used it last night do you think it will be okay to use it again today so sort the look out a bit?

Thankyou

·
Registered
514 Posts
Vicki,
To remove to white marks, use peanut butter....smear onto the arch, rub in with small brush (tooth brush) and rinse off. Sounds odd but does work!

Assuming you do not want to spend lots of money, do not want to get the car machine polished and want to use products that are easily available ( from Halfords) then …….

1) Keeping the arches black with Autoglym Bumper Care

2) Use a product that fills in the scratches and hides them - Autoglym Super Resin Polish has very good hiding abilities otherwise scratches could be polished out using Meguiars Scratch X instead of T-Cut.

If you want to spend a little more money, then use Black Wow on the trim and BILT-HAMBER Auto-Balm Wax on the paint.

Hope this helps

Perrm

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ground nut oil or a rubber should remove the white marks from your trim.
As for a dressing, Megs Gold Class Trim Detailer is ok but it run down the bodywork in the rain when I used it.
Autoglym Bumper Care is good, but by far the best I've used is Chemical Guys New look Trim Gel :smile:

Regarding the scratch the black roof really shows marks and scratches, however as long as you can't feel it then you should be able to hide it with Super Resin Polish (yes it is fine to use it again), you probably will have to go over it a few times for a good finish. You might want to think about finishing the car with a sealant or wax, Super Resin Polish won't last very long on it's own.

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
Peanut, or Groundnut Oil, as it's sold in Tesco etc, works a treat, about £1.00 for a bottle that will last for ages!

With regard to the scratches, the roof is lacquered so if you're careful, and the scratches aren't deep (if you can feel it with your finger nail then it's too deep to polish out) then you should be okay.

I'd suggest investing £12 or so in a Meguiars Quick Clay kit too, you'll be amazed how much it helps bring out the shine in your paint :)

·
thats better
2,482 Posts
I was very good at polish in the trim:hmph: reformed now.

I did not have much luck with the peanut butter and rubber though

If you need another recomendation:biggrin:

poorboys trim restorer

I love this stuff

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I've always found the MINI stuff is good - it doesn't clog up or dry out the plastic, however, it can run if it doesn't dry properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
M.O.S
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing