MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Play On!
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The White Mountain Chapter of the BMW Car Club of America can help make your MINI experience more enjoyable. The White Mountain Chapter is a small, close-knit family of friends that love BMWs and MINIs.

Membership offers numerous benefits including the 140+ page Roundel magazine (considered by many to be the best car club publication), the Profile chapter newsletter (local event information and articles of interest to New Englanders), parts and supplies discounts from various companies, free classifieds, technical advisors, numerous driving schools, club racing, and social and charitable events. It’s a great opportunity for you to learn more about your car, network with people that have the same interests, and spend time driving and enjoying your MINI!

Support from the national BMW CCA organization includes “Ombudsmen” who can advise or intercede for you to solve a car-related problem with a dealer or supplier, as well as “Technical Experts” who offer free consultation for problem diagnosis and maintenance questions.

The White Mountain and many other chapters offer driving schools, where qualified instructors will show you how to sharpen your MINI driving skills, as well as rallies, autocrosses, clean car (“concourse”) contests and more. Tech sessions teach you how to do many simple repairs and maintenance routines.

For more information, check out the White Mountain Chapter’s web site at http://www.wmc-bmwcca.org. The site contains an on-line version of the Profile newsletter, event information and registration, classified ads, meeting notices, and reference material.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I'm a relatively new member and Pete is correct, the Roundel is a good mag. Haven't seen the chapter newsletter yet but I'm hopeful. Plus no anti-MINI snootiness noticed at all! Not like NEMO.

·
heh...lame
2,422 Posts
I am not going to renew my BMWCCA thing. I really never read the mags...and only once went to an event (Ice Racing) and it's like $5 off if you are a member for that.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
John, how many Roundels have you received?
The last one had a number of pages of MINI articles - but it is a very rare thing; often there is no mention at all of MINIs and while it may be a good magazine, it is not a good magazine for MINI owners.

Having said that, The Boston chapter organizes a number of events and I have attended some and had some fun ... I suppose it is really down to us MINI owners to improve MINI content in Roundel; I know I was asked to contribute but I never did anything about it.
I renewed because of access to the events, not because of the magazines (maybe there should be a $10 less no-mag option ...)

As for NEMO, their MINI vs Mini position is mellowing, but they still do very few events in a year - mostly just tag onto events like Mini Meet and British Invasion.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I have been a member long enough to receive just one Roundel, the one with not one but three MINI articles, prompting me to write a letter thanking them for the warm welcome, realizing that every month will not be so luxurious. Not much from White Mtn. chapter. I'd have to look again but I think they meet every month somewhere. Pete might know.

Actually, I liked the magazine. The Letters section sounded like we do here on this forum. Fairly thick-skinned. There was a MINI like mine for sale in NC, I emailed the owner, got a nice response, then emailed a Bimmer owner a question and also got a prompt good response. Pete says their track days are good. I like what little I have seen of SCDA events. I figure between the 2 groups someone ought to be able to teach me how to drive. BMWCCA's membership card is tres chintzy and their decal needs updating in design.

My contacts with NEMO were baaad other than the illustrious writer of the MINI section who remains a tower of decency, accuracy, and spirit. Plus I like his wife.

edit: Wow! Ian, look at the # of your post.

·
Play On!
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the White Mountain chapter has monthly meetings open to all members, held at the Wayfarer in Bedford (intersection of Rts 3 and 101 beside Macy's). It's a dinner meeting, actually, and the club picks up the tab for a light meal.

I've been to one so far and will probably go (albeit late because of a business meeting) to the December meeting, this coming Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. The chapter folks are laid back, not uppitty about their Bimmers or negative about the MINI.

When I approached them about doing what I could to encourage MINI drivers to join, they were all in favor. Not because of "numbers," but because they love to drive, sometimes to race, but always to enjoy their car and the company of like-minded drivers.

Pez, while the discount on the ice racing was small, the membership fee will pay for itself if you do one track day. That day can be sponsored by any chapter. White Mtn. and Boston both have days at NHIS, Boston also does Lime Rock, etc.

I also participated in their "gimmick rally" last summer. A great day, driving from Amherst to Winchester to Walpole to Henniker following "clues" along the way. Nice dinner and great company at the end (not to mention my second place finish . . . )

·
Registered
366 Posts
Aside from meeting some of the White Mountain and Boston guys at NHIS with SCDA (great guys, by the way), I met an instructor from my region at an event at Summit Point with NASA-VA. When he instructed me he had nothing against the MINI and when he saw me post in response to an event our chapter held, he was very welcoming.

I attended a karting event with some of the guys from my chapter and we had a blast. They think the MINI is cool and a few of us went for a bite to eat later.

BTW, the cost of the karting, picked up, was more than the amount of my membership. So I'm more than even with one event.

I am not promoting the BMWCCA, there are all kinds of events put on by all kinds of organiztions, I'm just sharing my experience.

I have to say also, that the couple times that I met the White Mountain and Boston guys, they were remarkably friendly, and I wasn't even a member of the BMWCCA. My understanding is that some chapters are friendlier and more active than others. The only chapter that I've not heard good things about is the NY chapter.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Thanks, Pete and Michelle, for good posts. Lots of information. Now I'm glad I joined and will plan to eat 2 meals on Wednesday in Bedford, finishing well before Pete enters the room. ;)

Someday, after my wish list dwindles more than a bit, I would really enjoy seeing a well kept 2002 tii in my garage (not that I currently have a garage).

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Just to iron out some potential confusion...
The White Mtn chapter and the Boston chapter are very closely tied, their web sites are tied together for example and many events are joined. When you join the BMWCCA, you are assigned to your closest group. There are also NY and CT groups.

You've seen me speak positively of it before. I am one who is very reluctant to subscribe to things. But for my fee, I am amazed at the returns.

I agree it may not be worth it for saving $5 off an event. Or even $15 as in the advanced driving school.

But there are many events that are members-only. Not meetings, but driving events.

I've been to autocrosses put on by 5 other clubs, and these are by far the best organized, most runs, and also the cheapest! But it's members-only. The 50% of attendees that do not own BMWs or MINIs should attest enough the value.

I know I can speak highly of boston and white mountain chapters, because of the frequency and quality of events. I am unfamiliar with other chapters.

·
Registered
366 Posts
John, you crack me up!!

To echo jwardell, the BMWCCA automatically assigns you to your home region. However, you can then choose to join other chapters for an additional nominal charge of ~$13.50.

I imagine, as time goes on, and there are more MINIs out there owned by enthusiasts, more of them will be with the BMWCCA and the number of articles in the Roundel will increase.

jcsinnh said:
Thanks, Pete and Michelle, for good posts. Lots of information. Now I'm glad I joined and will plan to eat 2 meals on Wednesday in Bedford, finishing well before Pete enters the room. ;)

Someday, after my wish list dwindles more than a bit, I would really enjoy seeing a well kept 2002 tii in my garage (not that I currently have a garage).

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Next year, young lady, I start track days if I can find a supersized helmet for this nut. So, watch out! ;)

BTW, young miss tontobird is an exceptional woman with a love for MINIs and the track. Sadly for me, I am old and she has a boyfriend but still, I think she's tops and always has good straight info. Happy holidays, sweetie!

·
Registered
366 Posts
jcsinnh said:
Next year, young lady, I start track days if I can find a supersized helmet for this nut. So, watch out! ;)
OMG!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

BTW, young miss tontobird is an exceptional woman with a love for MINIs and the track. Sadly for me, I am old and
Awwww shucks... :eek: :eek: :eek:

she has a boyfriend
I do?!? Shhhh :bad: :bad: , don't ruin my reputation! :cool: ;) ;) :D :D

but still, I think she's tops and always has good straight info. Happy holidays, sweetie!

Happy Holidays to you, as well!!! :D :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.