MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..would you do it over again? I know they look great when clean, but how often do you have to do that, and now that it's getting cold out...well, are you sorry..would you trade them in if you could?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I was considering white wheels because I like the look, but now I have some doubts. Several people have remarked that the paint chips easily, such as when changing a tire. They can be touched up, but perhaps the polished aluminum wheels would be better. They could take a small nick or scratch and it would barely show. Aluminum is hard to paint and if it gets scratched, it can corrode and cause the paint to bubble and flake off, especially if you are in a salt environment.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
mr.bill said:
I was considering white wheels because I like the look, but now I have some doubts. Several people have remarked that the paint chips easily, such as when changing a tire. They can be touched up, but perhaps the polished aluminum wheels would be better. They could take a small nick or scratch and it would barely show. Aluminum is hard to paint and if it gets scratched, it can corrode and cause the paint to bubble and flake off, especially if you are in a salt environment.
This is way off the subject really, but most modern tyre shops have much better machines for dealing with soft alloy wheels. The biggest problem is when they are re-balanced. The clip on weights put on at the factory are obviously going to be in a different position on re-balancing. My wheels have been marked where the weights once were. In the MINI's case this shouldn't be a problem as the balance weights go in the inside area of the rim.

White "painted" (powdercoated) wheels have always been a problem, and much of it is down to the design. I think the 17" S-spokes will be quite good as they do not have a flat horizontal ring around the outsside, but are smooth to the outside edge. Modern non-asbestos brake pads are notorious for dust, BMW's in particular.

If anyone is concerned about the amount of cleaning involved dont buy "painted" wheels. White or otherwise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Red Chili Cooper with red part leather interior, white roof, white mirrors and white 5 spoke wheels. Just looks fabulous - clean or dirty - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cleaning hasn't been too much of a problem. I just don't let the dirt build up too much and it comes off nice 'n' easy.

If you like the white wheels buy them and don't let anyone change your mind! My dealer tried, he convinced my other half but thankfully I resisted!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've got 15" pepper alloys in white and i think they look great - even when dirty.

So, the weights should be on the inside of the rim should they? My weights are on the outside rim of each wheel. I think its probably the same for all the 15" wheels which have a "lip" around the outside edge.

·
Registered
334 Posts
White wheels look excellent with BRG and a white roof!! Easy enough to clean, but the car looks awesome even when they aren't as shiny white as the day I picked up the car! If anything, since the brake dust shows a more on the white wheels, I reckon I'll clean them more frequently than the "silver" alloys and reduce the risk of etching.

Would I do it again - well that depends on the colour I choose for my S!!!!!:D :D

kjs

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
I have to agree I would not have chosen any other colour than WHITE clean or dirty they look the biz and compliment the white roof a treat,also they make a refreshing change from the normal colour silver alloy wheels

Anne never moans about cleaning them.:D :D :D

On the 16" wheels the balance weights are on the inside of the wheels.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

·
Registered
612 Posts
ermm, the silver alloys are painted aswell guys, its silver varnish or white varnish, both chip.

·
Registered
113 Posts
White is the only way to go.

Never considered silver.

Would choose white every time.

Its a MINI not a Volvo :)

Dirty wheels are dirty wheels !

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I love my white wheels, at first I was a bit worried about their 'boy racer Nova' look but when my MINI arrived I knew I had made the right choice!

MMmmm...

·
Registered
44 Posts
white wheels - nahh.
my other half has a ibiza 2.0 16v cupra sport with white wheels (oz type) on a red car. looked good when new but now the car is 2 years old they are looking a bit tatty with 24,000 miles of brake dust on them.
my silver 5 spokes is the only way.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
M said:
ermm, the silver alloys are painted aswell guys, its silver varnish or white varnish, both chip.
Silver - laquer, White - Paint (Powdercoat).

White Varnish...I don't think so.

;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with Monsta, red and white, classy conbination.

From previous experience with white wheels they are absolutely fine if kept clean and treated with some type of protector to stop stains. My husband has silver alloys and to be honest stone chips show up on his wheels just as they did on my old car.:)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
monsta said:
I love my white wheels, at first I was a bit worried about their 'boy racer Nova' look but when my MINI arrived I knew I had made the right choice!

MMmmm...

Geezzz........another picture of a red/white MINI. I thought i'd made up my mind on colour.........sheeesh.

I used to be so decisive......

That looks fantastic......but so does Blue, Yellow, BRG,...Black.......oh dear.

Sorry, completely off the subject......just ignore me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks for the lesson in semantics Basil, paint, lacquer, varnish, sticky liquid stuff you put on things to change the colour. My point was silver is equally as prone to chipping as white. I'll be sure and check my thesaurus for alternative adjectives next time.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
M said:
Thanks for the lesson in semantics Basil, paint, lacquer, varnish, sticky liquid stuff you put on things to change the colour. My point was silver is equally as prone to chipping as white. I'll be sure and check my thesaurus for alternative adjectives next time.
You were technically incorrect. No semantics involved whatsoever.

No need to get cranky and sarcastic........and your point the second time around has been admirably made.

Have a nice day

;)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Whoaa big boy, easy now.
No crank involved, doubtless sarcasm though, in the use of which you are an admired practitioner yourself. Thank you for the second correction and may your own day, or the remainder of it, be as sweet and flower filled as mine shall.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
M said:
Whoaa big boy.....
Why thanks for the compliment......

And yes you are quite right, I do dish it out on occasion, funny how the context of a whole sentence can be changed when read in a different light.....

By the way, can you look up "semantic" in the dictionary....coz mine reckons it doesn't exist.

ha ha ha ha..............:D

·
Registered
612 Posts
That'll be an Australian dictionary then, the word is probably older than the country. Mind you we don't have one here at work so I can't check what Oxford says. I'll look it up later and let you know, on second thoughts it really doesn't matter I suppose.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
M said:
That'll be an Australian dictionary then, the word is probably older than the country. Mind you we don't have one here at work so I can't check what Oxford says. I'll look it up later and let you know, on second thoughts it really doesn't matter I suppose.
I'll bite my tongue......:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts