• Veron the queen is a genius ;)

Votes: 5 22.7%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
my ponies have escaped!!!
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right guys can i have your feed back on this

When im in first gear in my MCS and im in traffic I can leave the car in first gear and take my feet of all pedals and the car will stay at 5mph without stalling - i have done this on slight uphills also but not too steep as i havent come across any.

Veronica says hers stalls - she has a One

Do i have something different to her or is she talking xollob??? :rolleyes: :D

Please vote now!!!

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
scooby212 said:
Right guys can i have your feed back on this

When im in first gear in my MCS and im in traffic I can leave the car in first gear and take my feet of all pedals and the car will stay at 5mph without stalling - i have done this on slight uphills also but not too steep as i havent come across any.

Veronica says hers stalls - she has a One

Do i have something different to her or is she talking xollob??? :rolleyes: :D

Please vote now!!!

This should only be the case if you have an auto box.... it should stall otherwise. If it doesn't, I would suggest that you have an engine managemnet problem... perhaps your throttle is stuck partially open (I know it electronic so unlikely). but it should stall.

unless you've got an auto, obviously.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
This should only be the case if you have an auto box.... it should stall otherwise. If it doesn't, I would suggest that you have an engine managemnet problem... perhaps your throttle is stuck partially open (I know it electronic so unlikely). but it should stall.

unless you've got an auto, obviously.

I couldn't agree more :D

Veronica

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
scooby212 said:
its probably because the car is always on the rev limiter its just soooo eager to stay accelerating

hehe

How does it stay accelerating if its on the rev limiter all the time? :rolleyes:

Contradiction in terms there I'm afraid. The car can only accelerate if its moving through the revs towards the limiter......

pandantic, moi? yep

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
My mini One can move by it's self if I lift the clutch up slowly with no accelorator in 1st gear. Its because the car always has revs it doesn't stall. Your right rich my car does the same. I do it all the time especially when I've just washed my car and there is a huge muddy puddle nder my car. Don't want spray so I just move the car by the clutch not the gas. My mum was saying her car was better because it does this and most cars can't, I proved her wrong!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Granted, yeah, some cars can move forward with no accelerator being applied.
My wicked rover metro would drive most of the journey with no accelerator (oooo God bless the good ol'choke ;) ....flaming mind of it's own that thing lol :D)

However, I predict, as correction to Scooby's first post (I have not actually tried this myself), that with all feet OFF the pedals completely, the car will stall.

<------------- takes a bow ;)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yes, my ONE will crawl.....but the clutch has to be applied slightly.

With feet off ALL pedals, it will stall imo.

Veronica

·
Registered
507 Posts
I could let every car that I owend roll without applying the throttle, none of them had an auto box. Although the throttle is not applied the engine has to get a certain amount of air through the throttle valve, otherwise it couldn´t be idling when standing in neutral or with the clutch deployed. Older cars had a mechanical or partially electrical idling control, the modern cars all have certain maps for that situation in their engine management computer.
And many engines are eager and smooth enough to keep the car rolling with that small amount of auto power working. So nothing special about it, i´d reckon...

Klaus

·
Diesel Powered
290 Posts
Pretty much every car I've had has been able to do that, including my One D. That's how I usually crawl in traffic jams, as long as you're not too quick with the clutch the torque at tickover is enough to set off and crawl along. After all, it doesn't take much power to move slowly - you can physically push a Mini faster than that. Can't do it on my motorbike though, not enough torque at tickover.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.