MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering if anyone knew what part of the BMW/Mini organisation is responsible for covering the cost of warrenty repairs.

When I first ordered my car I asked if I could take my car into a different dealer to have work done on it as I may move house at some point. I also see on the forums that if people have not had much joy with getting warrenty work done at one dealership then they will take it to another.

Because of this I have always assumed that the dealerships are not financially responsible for such work - that they somehow charge the BMW organisation a set amount per hour or something to fix things on their behalf which always seemed reasonable. However I mentioned this to a friend and he thought that the dealership had to stump up the cost,

I am interested to know the answer as it would certainly make me less bothered about insisting that every little rattle and squeak gets fixed (which I will do anyway) since in effect the dealership would be getting work from me. If it is the other way around then surely any dealership could be a bit annoyed if someone turns up with a car that was not bought from them and expects them to sort stuff out on it.

Anyone know for sure how it works?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Jules35 said:
Was just wondering if anyone knew what part of the BMW/Mini organisation is responsible for covering the cost of warrenty repairs.

When I first ordered my car I asked if I could take my car into a different dealer to have work done on it as I may move house at some point. I also see on the forums that if people have not had much joy with getting warrenty work done at one dealership then they will take it to another.

Because of this I have always assumed that the dealerships are not financially responsible for such work - that they somehow charge the BMW organisation a set amount per hour or something to fix things on their behalf which always seemed reasonable. However I mentioned this to a friend and he thought that the dealership had to stump up the cost,

I am interested to know the answer as it would certainly make me less bothered about insisting that every little rattle and squeak gets fixed (which I will do anyway) since in effect the dealership would be getting work from me. If it is the other way around then surely any dealership could be a bit annoyed if someone turns up with a car that was not bought from them and expects them to sort stuff out on it.

Anyone know for sure how it works?
all i know is the attitude of some BMW dealerships is laughable 2b honest, at one point i brought in a X5 in for a QUOTE for some bodywork and they wanted 2 charge 30 notes for a QUOTE???

·
Registered
64 Posts
The dealer charges the manufacturer for the repair. If the paperwork isn't done properly, or if they don't do the work in the manner that the manufacturer requires, then they won't get paid. If the dealer tries to charge you for warranty work they are double charging. This is illegal, and should be reported to the manufacturer, as well as reporting a dealer that doesn't want to take care of warranty problems. If enough people complain the dealership will be taken from that company.

·
Registered
765 Posts
All warranty work is paid for by BMW. The dealerships employ warranty clerks to ensure all warranty claims are submitted to BMW, usually by computer link on a nightly basis, and they then get reimbursed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The car is manufactured and warranted by BMW. Dealers are just "authorized repair stations." The "authorized repair station" certifies to BMW that the repair is indeed covered by the warranty and performs the repair. BMW pays the "authorized repair station" for that labor and parts. ANY "authorized repair station" can work on ANY car still under that warranty. Think about the fact that roadside service tows you to the nearest "authorized dealer," not the one that sold it. BMW treats all dealers combined as a network of repair stations - each capable of repairing any car still under warranty. There may be a negotiated hourly labor rate for Warranty service that is less than the dealer might charge a paying customer, and that is why in some dealerships, warranty work is less of a priority than paying customers, but in most dealerships, this is not the case. Work is work, and service departments want to be servicing cars - the more work they do, warranty or otherwise, the more money they make. Fixing that rattle may employ a tech for a few hours - they don't mind.

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
Having worked as a service advisor I know that the company (in this case BMW) does not pay the same hourly labor rate as a customer would (they pay less). This may be why the dealer is trying to "scam" you.

·
Registered
765 Posts
LETHAL BIZZLE said:
all i know is the attitude of some BMW dealerships is laughable 2b honest, at one point i brought in a X5 in for a QUOTE for some bodywork and they wanted 2 charge 30 notes for a QUOTE???
Actually, thinking about it, I suppose they might have a point. Someone has to spend time working out the quote and there is no guarantee they will get the job, so who would pay the wages of the estimator? None of us likes doing work and then not being reimbursed for it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info everybody.

My dealer has been great as my car has had to go in for a few things since I got in on Sept 1st - nothing major - mainly rattles (quite a few). I love the car and want to make sure it is as good as possible as rattles irritate the hell out of me and affect my enjoyment of the vehicle.

Knowing that the dealer is earning money off fixing any bits and pieces means I don't feel at all bad about going back as many times as I need to in order to get things sorted. I would anyway even if they had to pay but if BMW are paying it feels easier.

My dealer had been really cool so far and the car gets a nice wash every time while I get free drinks. Plus they all seem like nice people. It needs to go back in for a few more things though and I hope they don't get tired of seeing me.

Mini's are fantastic cars but it is a shame that they are not all screwed together properly at the factory. Having said that my girlfriend got a VW polo last year and she had to go back four times for the same rattle!!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind.

If the dealer selling you the car, any car, offers something over and above the manufactirers warranty coverage, say free car washes or free oil changes. We have dealers here in Orlando, offering free tires for life. Same with some warranty coverage on used cars. These types of services are the responsibility of the specific dealer.

When moving to another state or town too far away from the dealer you bought the car from, you pretty much forfit the extras.

As for manufacturers warranties, the dealer seldom makes any profit on manufaturer warranty repairs. That's why some dealers will look for anything to turn a warranty repair into a cash sale. I've heard of dealers trying to void warrantys because the customer had installed parts that are not factory original. Such as K&N Filters, Aftermarket wheels, stereos etc. That's why the Magnuson Moss act was passed by the US congress years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts